Avonex questions

Options
weeble2008
weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
I am newly diagnosed and have chose to start Avonex. Has anyone had any issues with weight gain / loss with Avonex? My doctor said the best time to do the injection is at bedtime, so that I hopefully sleep thru any flu like symptoms. Any other tricks or input that may help?!

Replies

• squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 2 years. There were no weight issues while on it. I was heavy when I started but later lost weight. Taking your injection at night is very important, as is premedicating with advil or your OTC med of choice. Some people ice it. I never did, the injection itself really didn't hurt. I found that when I drank a lot of water and exercised the next morning, it really helped me recover from lingering side effects. Even if I didn't feel like working out - there was a huge difference in how I felt the remainder of the day, if I had worked out.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i have injected myself since it first came out, i have always taken tylenol when taking it. i prefer to use it when its set out of the fridge an hr or two. on the rare ocassion i inject into something that hurts(injection site gets a painful red bumb i alternate beween cold and warm packs. in all these years that has happened three times. i love this drug. i have refused to go off it. i was on betaseron before and that was a nightmare, plus even takinbg that every other day i was exasberating ever 6 months. in 10 years i have had steriod treatment twice...hope you do as well on avonex as i have.
    i have also always been heavy and have had no issues losing weight in it
  • MzJonzz
    MzJonzz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been on Avonex for 15 years and I don't believe it causes weight gain. Follow everyone's advise about taking some Tylenol or something (I take Motrin 800) with your injection and do it 2 hours or so before bed time. It takes a while for the reaction to kick in and when I go to bed right away after my shot I don't completely sleep throug the yucky feeling. When I first started the reaction was so bad (terrible chills, dead leg in the mornings for a few minutes etc) and I almost quit BUTstick it out for a month or 2 before packing it in. It does get better.
  • weeble2008
    weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice!
  • Rkahla
    Rkahla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Avonex for almost 2 years now. The "flu-like symptoms" were awful at first. After about six weeks it got much better and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I take two Aleve about 30 minutes before the shot and that has worked really well for me. Stick with it!!!
  • susanneca
    susanneca Posts: 4
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 7 weeks ago and have taken 4 Avonex injections so far. The first 3 made be a bit fluey and the one time I took it 2 hours before bed I woke up with terrible shakes and chills in the middle of the night that terrified me :( my Avonex nurse has told me to take it out of the fridge 24 hrs before i inject. Week 4 last Friday and already I noticed the side effects have calmed down. Good luck, you will be grand :)