Vitamin D

Options
aagaag
aagaag Posts: 89 Member
Here comes "AAGAAG's Weekly Health Telegraph" :-)

Today, I just wanted to say something about Vitamin D (cholecalciferol). Vitamin D is totally crucial - and yet 70% of the adult population in Switzerland suffers from hypovitaminosis D!

Kids until 15 usually have healthy levels, because every parent administers Vitamin D drops to their babies. Vitamin D is stored in fat tissue, and is released very slowly - the reserves from the infant droplets will carry young people until their teens.

Adults, however, typically have very low levels. Here come a few facts. I am not including the references for brevity, but I shall be pleased to do so upon request:

- If you go out to the sun, your skin will make some Vitamin D. However, there are a few problems with that. First, the levels are not sufficient (not by a large measure), even if you bake on the beach from morning to evening. Second, baking in the sun increases your risk of melanoma dramatically - and that's really no good thing. Third, if your skin complexion is on the dark side, you will make hardly any Vitamin D in the sun (the dark pigment prevents the skin cells from working on it).

- Amazingly, refilling Vitamin D stores in middle age (50+) decreases the risk of bone fracture by >30%. This is a huge number, higher than any known drug against osteopenia/osteoporosis can do!!! Also, muscles grow stronger (and that may be one of the reasons why elderly break less hips upon Vitamin D refill: they fall less frequently). The study showing the above was recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine, arguably the world's most authoritative source of medical science.

- However, the effects on bone and muscle only arises if at least 800 IU (international units) of Vitamin D are taken daily. "Vitamin pills" as you can find in the grocery store are waaay below those levels and are effectively useless. You need to get true Vitamin D in oil; essentially the same stuff that is given to kids as drops.

- The good news: you do not need to take Vitamin D on a daily basis. Weekly or even monthly doses will do! The reason, again, is that Vitamin D gets stored in fat cells. I, for one, take 25'000 IU once a month in one single dose. I have set up an email service to send me a monthly reminder titled "It's D-Day!", and that does it.

- Before you become a Vitamin D convert, you may want to have your blood Vitamin D levels checked. If you have enough, you do not need to take any. But the chances are, you do not have enough...

Replies

• swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Take vitamin D and calcium every day :laugh: I know it can make you feel miserable if your levels get low :sad: But great post :flowerforyou:
  • aagaag
    Options
    I forgot to say that eating fish does not take care of Vitamin D. Not by a large measure. Fish does contain Vitamin D, but what you need to get is 800 IU/day, and you would need to eat an entire tuna every day to get there...
  • lqrch
    lqrch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
  • aagaag
    Options
    Hmmm. It is not clear whether the 2400 IU refer to one Softgel, or to the entire package. It was 2400/softgel, it would be 3x the daily requirement - which is way too much! Keep in mind that lipophilic vitamins accumulate in the body, hence you can poison yourself if you overdose.

If however the 2400IU are for the entire 120 Softgels, as I suspect, then we are talking 20 IU/Softgel, which is better than nothing but not enough to get any statistically measurable benefits...
  • lqrch
    Options
    2400IU is per capsule. If it was for the bottle it would be only 20IU per capsule.

I read in your previous post that you "... take 25'000 IU once a month in one single dose..."

No I am confused as you just wrote that 2400IU is way too much at once...??
  • lqrch
    Options
  • aagaag
    Options
    2400IU is per capsule. If it was for the bottle it would be only 20IU per capsule.

I read in your previous post that you "... take 25'000 IU once a month in one single dose..."

No I am confused as you just wrote that 2400IU is way too much at once...??

2400IU is not too much at once. It's too much if you take it every day! However, there are not a lot of reports of D intoxication. I was told (by an endocrinologist) that a woman once tried to kill her boyfriend with a Vitamin D overdose. The guy survived though (although he was rather sick). I don't know any further details, unfortunately - obviously I wanted to know whether he had deserved it!
  • aagaag
    Options
    2400IU is per capsule.

Are you certain? I couldn't find out for sure from the web site. If so, it would be a great bargain: the Swiss equivalent (https://www.adlershop.ch/p8964/vitamin-d3-wild-ol-10ml/fachinformationen) goes for 10x that price!
  • lqrch
    Options
    2400IU is per capsule.

Are you certain? I couldn't find out for sure from the web site. If so, it would be a great bargain: the Swiss equivalent (https://www.adlershop.ch/p8964/vitamin-d3-wild-ol-10ml/fachinformationen) goes for 10x that price!

Well....let's not get into the topic of "Swiss prices" :cry: That is indeed a sad story.

I have bought a lot from Iherb and they offer great prices and fast shipping.

If you use this referral Code: DUW669 I think you will get some discount but I am not sure how much though.
  • lqrch
    Options
    2400IU is per capsule.

Yep...I am sure.

Check this link http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Vitamin-D3-2-400-IU-120-Softgels/6898
    and go to Supplement Facts.

Serving size: 1 SoftGel
    Amount per serving: 2400 IU
  • aagaag
    Options
    Great, thanks! I have ordered the 10K sublingual capsules (take 3 on the 1st day of every month) - it is really a bargain!