Newbie Question

Options
rmk20togo
rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
Today I finished my on-ramp foundations and did Fight Gone Bad. I'm accustomed to working out hard (or I thought so) but this is the first time I had to lay down (on the nasty parking lot :noway: ) after a workout, drive home shaky, lay down again, took a shower, got ready, still shaky and red-faced. I couldn't stomach solid food, just did a protein shake.:sick: :sick:

My question is, what do y'all suggest for post workout refueling? I had to grab one of the hub's Muscle Milk thingies to keep from puking, but I'm working on Paleo as well and know that wasn't the best choice.

Thank

Replies

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake. Solid food before or right after doesn't work for me. Make sure you are fully hydrated, that can compound that feeling you had.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake. Solid food before or right after doesn't work for me. Make sure you are fully hydrated, that can compound that feeling you had.

I do a protein shake afterwards too. Beforehand, I have a Green Superfood drink.
  • ssnowdon76
    Options
    Nice intro to CF (my first WOD was the Filthy Fifty).

The biggest thing I can say to you is try to get some *real food* into your system after your workout. If it's particularly hard, I'll add in some sweet potato to help recovery but I'll generally get home .. eat a steak (some chicken, salmon, turkey .. whatever is on hand) and add the veggies and good fats (avacado and coconut oil are your friend). It works for me.

That said, some of this is your body getting used to the work load .. there's going to be a bit of pain and adjusting .. remember that scaling is an option .. it allows us to complete workouts but beyond that, it allows us to complete the workout as intended (ie. effort vs time).

Keep at it and I hope you love the experience!
  • rmk20togo
    Options
    Nice intro to CF (my first WOD was the Filthy Fifty).

My 1st was Elizabeth, which thought would kill me. However, I felt worse today than I did after Elizabeth. I workout at 5:30 AM. I try to get up early enough to get a protein shake down before. I'm still working on my brain thinking cereal and yogurt are the only breakfast foods. Tomorrow I'll pop a sweet potato in the oven before I go and try that when I get home.

Is there a protein powder that is Paleo, are are they mutually exclusive?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have finally stopped shaking, but still have the annoying headache, even after lunch. They told me this morning that red-faced, nausea, gasping will even out pretty quickly and fade into just gasping as my body gets used to the WOD idea of working out, as opposed to steady state cardio. Fingers crossed!
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get in your fluids, the headache could be an indication of dehydration.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    My class is at 5.30am so I don't eat before hand - if I did I think I would throw up. I would suggest something plain like a banana or protein shake if you think it will help - but I know some people who just have a coffee. Shaking, feeling like puking and laying down after a WOD is not unusual - it means you worked your butt off!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    They key for me after a really intense WOD is protein as soon as possible after finishing. There have been days that about an hour or so after the WOD, I've felt so tired that all I could do was lie down and take a nap. It took me a lot of time and a bit of research to realize I could stave off that feeling with a high protein meal right after an intense session.

Generally, I don't eat before exercise. I get home and have breakfast within 30min of finishing that has 30g of protein (my breakfast daily is cottage cheese with half of a banana, 100g of strawberries, and about 12g of flaked almonds with a small skinny latte).
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My first day at elements I puked! It was a trifecta of things that ended up in heartburn, out of breath then got really hot and puked. Afterwards I had to stop on my drive home and get out of my truck and sit on the curb a minute.

I havent puked or come close since even though I continue to put in considerable time in my VO2 max HR area. Here's what I had to do. Dont eat 3 hours before (heartburn). Take 2 Tums right before workout. Drink entire 12oz bottle of water during warm up and drink another 12oz bottle of water during the WOD.

Im starting my 6th week this week. I have to scale certain exercises but Im still working very hard. I have to take drinks of water during WOD. Thats just where my body is right now and Im ok with that. Better have a slightly slower time than quit all together......and if I puked every day I would certainly be discouraged :)
  • rmk20togo
    Options
    Today was sooooo much bettter. It was my first day with the regular group.
    10 rounds, 30 sec on/30 sec off double unders (or at last my attempt at DU)
    12 min AMRAP Turkis Get Ups
    I felt ok the whole time and burned 874 kcal per HRM! My Pre CF workouts came in around 400-600 per hours.

Last night I made up a batch of sausage, spinach, apple, sweet potato hash and had that post workout. Feel much better today. Yesterday I could not eat until noon - not even coffee.
    I have to take drinks of water during WOD. Thats just where my body is right now and Im ok with that.

I think ^^ this was part of my problem yesterday. I'm used to drinking during workouts but it was just me and the trainer and I felt huge pressure to keep going....not from her, just from myself. I need to give my body time to adjust. This type of workout is so different than anything I've ever done.

I'm so glad I went back today, even though yesterday I was convinced I was too old for CF. :love: :love:

Thanks for all the tips. I'm gonna try out several things and find what works for me.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I workout at either 4 or 5 everyday when I get off work. I'll have lunch at my desk around noon and will usually have a snack at 3 or so. Right after I workout I pop a GNC recovery pill then shower, then fix dinner.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I've gone with xtend as a recovery drink. The different flavors are good and it's supposed to help with recovery. Later in the morning, I'll usually do a protein shake. We just did "Fight gone bad" today. Good luck!
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Today was sooooo much bettter. It was my first day with the regular group.
    10 rounds, 30 sec on/30 sec off double unders (or at last my attempt at DU)
    12 min AMRAP Turkis Get Ups
    I felt ok the whole time and burned 874 kcal per HRM! My Pre CF workouts came in around 400-600 per hours.

Last night I made up a batch of sausage, spinach, apple, sweet potato hash and had that post workout. Feel much better today. Yesterday I could not eat until noon - not even coffee.
    I have to take drinks of water during WOD. Thats just where my body is right now and Im ok with that.

I think ^^ this was part of my problem yesterday. I'm used to drinking during workouts but it was just me and the trainer and I felt huge pressure to keep going....not from her, just from myself. I need to give my body time to adjust. This type of workout is so different than anything I've ever done.

I'm so glad I went back today, even though yesterday I was convinced I was too old for CF. :love: :love:

Thanks for all the tips. I'm gonna try out several things and find what works for me.

First WOD I ever did I felt so shaky and miserable and naseated, so I completely feel ya. Im fairly new (3-4 weeks in) and thankfully that initial shock has gone away. I still feel tired and sore after but Im nowhere close to feeling pukey anymore.

The water is essential. I drink 30-50 fl oz before and right after. I usually have a couple slices of meat 30 mins before or a protein shake, and right after WOD I eat an actual meal with sweet potato incorporated and lots of veggies (meat too of course). Ive heard carbs after a WOD is important.

Hope you enjoy your workouts and dont feel crappy anymore <3
  • rmk20togo
    Options
    First WOD I ever did I felt so shaky and miserable and nauseated, so I completely feel ya. Im fairly new (3-4 weeks in) and thankfully that initial shock has gone away. I still feel tired and sore after but Im nowhere close to feeling pukey anymore.

They promise me this ^^. I'm hoping it's true. Yesterday was geat! WOD was 12min AMRAP Turkish Get Ups. I was proud of my performance. Today, not so much. WOD was uphill sprint 4x200m - 4x100m. I had to scale it, did 2x200m - 6x100m. Pukey was coming to visit if I didn't. I workout out at 5:30 AM so getting in much water or any food really is hard. I chugged down a protein shake with blueberries today and I felt it coming back up on the 2nd 200m.

My strategy now will be to try plenty of water the night before and some just before. Maybe no food before and the extend recovery drink after. Never thought about a recovery drink after, just protein smoothie.

Thanks for the tips! I'm hanging in there!