Blood in breast milk

Options
jls8209
jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
Has anyone ever noticed blood in their breast milk? I was just pumping a bottle to take when we go out later today and had to stop pumping from one side because I noticed some blood. It's not blood from a crack, it's mixed in with the milk and coming out from the milk duct itself. I don't feel any lumps and nothing hurts. I don't pump often, so for all I know this could be something that has been going on unnoticed for several days. I'm going to call my doc's office, but thought I'd ask you ladies, too. Any thoughts?

Replies

• CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi - it sounds like you have a plugged duct or infection (maybe mastitis). If it's not hurting and you don't have any pain, it might also be pappilomia. Call your doctor to be sure though. Good luck, mama!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It happens! Can be from a few things: irritated ducts, breast trauma, or tissue changes (like PP said). Do you have any strange lumps? Chances are the blood wont be there for very long but your doctor will give you some peace of mind, and it's worthwhile to get checked out.

Side note: I had a biopsy done a little while ago for a plugged duct/strange lump and one of the effects was that there was blood in my milk. The doctor told me that most babies don't notice a few drops and it is fine for them to ingest, but if there is more than a drop or two your baby might refuse the milk because it tastes funny. Also, it's easy to see blood in breastmilk if you let the bottle sit for a bit. The blood will separate from the milk and you will see it on the bottom.
  • jkfw
    jkfw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, the same thing happened to me when I was pumping and I just eased off for a day or so and then it went away. Doc actually told me it doesn't hurt the milk or anything. Just put your breast under hot water in the shower and it will get better.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I spoke with my doc (well, the medical assistant) and was told it's probably nothing to worry about and to just keep an eye on it. If it persists then I need to go in. I had also read about it being fine for babies to ingest milk with a bit of blood, so I've been BFing as usual, and my baby doesn't seem put off by any funny tastes, so I'm guessing/hoping it was a one time thing.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Good to hear, I hope it was just a one time thing, too!