New to the group

Options
Good morning! I'm new here, and am looking for folks who struggle with weight re-gain, post gastric bypass surgery. I had my surgery in September 2003, and lost about 100 pounds, from 260 to 160. I am currently at about 220, having put a few pounds back on each year since surgery. I am in pretty good health generally, although was recently diagnosed with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth syndrome. I am managing it OK, but it has some weird side effects, and of course I worry about the malabsorption issue. The doc I saw said people with altered stomachs and intestines (WLS folks) are more prone to getting this.

I know what I have done wrong to put this weight on, but I really would like to re-lose some of it, and am willing to make the necessary changes. What are you folks doing to help re-start the weight loss process?

Thanks for any help and ideas!

Replies

• kimbatwl
    kimbatwl Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, I can understand your feelings on this. I too have lost from the surgey and gained. life issues and struggles lead me to go back into the poor coping skills that landed me in this position my whole life. I know i should have reached out for support sooner than i did but i was ashamed with the regain after surgery and did not want to admit it to others. by coming clean gives me a chance to get the supprot needed to get back on track. i know this can be done and together we can all do it. since i have found MFP i am tracking my intake much better than before which is the first step to getting back on track.
  • isthereafreeusername
    isthereafreeusername Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to cut back on carbs and sugar (my addictions) the past couple of weeks. I didn't lose anything! So just today i started to log my food intake in the "food diary" here on the site, and already I can see that I was overdoing it! I know that "writing" or logging your food really helps you see this, but I am always resistant to doing it. Maybe because it's too revealing, who knows? Anyway, I'm hoping that with increasing protein, cutting back carbs/sugar, and starting to get back into exercise, maybe the weight will budge a bit in the proper direction.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent plan. We all know what we need and should be doing but doing it is very hard. I still still struggle and I'm almost 15 yrs post op. I refuse to totally give up and that will hopefully sustain me.

Hang in there!:smooched:
  • isthereafreeusername
    isthereafreeusername Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will try (AGAIN!!!) LOL Are you doing anything special, Deb? If you're struggling with regain, what is your food plan like?

Thanks for any input.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm new here, and am looking for folks who struggle with weight re-gain, post gastric bypass surgery. I had my surgery in September 2003, and lost about 100 pounds, from 260 to 160. I am currently at about 220, having put a few pounds back on each year since surgery. I am in pretty good health generally, although was recently diagnosed with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth syndrome. I am managing it OK, but it has some weird side effects, and of course I worry about the malabsorption issue. The doc I saw said people with altered stomachs and intestines (WLS folks) are more prone to getting this.

I know what I have done wrong to put this weight on, but I really would like to re-lose some of it, and am willing to make the necessary changes. What are you folks doing to help re-start the weight loss process?

Thanks for any help and ideas!

LOTs of exercise, walking, etc .
    watching, really watching intake, and still trying to find the point that will allow me to lose and still eat... still struggling, though i have lost 13lbs so far, welcome aboard.