So I FinallyStood Up for Myself

Options
mamacita721
mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
So I have been hanging with the FWB for a year and a have or so. It was all good. We were getting our needs met. I work weird hours and I have a teenager who needs to have a proper example set, and he is busy and hot and not interested in the long term. Perfect? Yup. We would text every few days, hook up 2 - 3 times a month; no muss, no fuss.

He has been a straight up **** for the past 2 months.. Not responding to my texts until he wants to meet badabing badaboom.

The thing is, I am not concerned with his lack of interest. But whenever I see him he says "if you give that pu$$y away, I will stop f*cking you."

WTF is that? You want to keep doing this or you don't. You ain't hurting my feelings a bit, I just need to know so I stop setting aside time for you. I could be doing other things. Sigh.

End Rant.

Maybe I am the weird one....what is wrong with having a little NSA adult time once in a while?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a little confused...

Is this a FWB? Are you truly friends? Or is this a more no-strings-attached, he comes over, you have sex and he leaves and vice versa? If it's a FWB and he dropped the friends part, then yeah, he's a jerk. But if you've never been friends, and only F-buddies, why else wouldn't he respond until he wanted sex? That is the basis of your relationship. I don't blame him. And maybe he worded it crudely, but he meant that if you're having sex with other guys, he doesn't want you. And yeah, that is weird that he said it so vulgarly, but I don't blame the guy.

ETA - I'm not trying to be harsh, but I'm trying to picture this from his perspective.
  • mamacita721
    Options
    No. I get you and it is straight forward, not harsh. We were friends (or so I thought) for nearly three years. That is why it worked for me. I was comfortable with him. I knew his expectations, and he knew mine. We had seen each other at our worst and best. This is why the shift in behavior baffles me. Granted, I am not one for confrontation and the last thing I want to do is appear clingy so I just chilled.

But for some reason, today I was I had enough. I can understand being busy and not replying to a text for a day or three or even five. But to go from texting every 3 - 5 days about anything and everything to not replying until you d!ck is hard are two different things.

I am the furthest thing from needy, but have and ounce of respect please.
  • christine24t
    Options
    No. I get you and it is straight forward, not harsh. We were friends (or so I thought) for nearly three years. That is why it worked for me. I was comfortable with him. I knew his expectations, and he knew mine. We had seen each other at our worst and best. This is why the shift in behavior baffles me. Granted, I am not one for confrontation and the last thing I want to do is appear clingy so I just chilled.

But for some reason, today I was I had enough. I can understand being busy and not replying to a text for a day or three or even five. But to go from texting every 3 - 5 days about anything and everything to not replying until you d!ck is hard are two different things.

Ah, gotcha, makes more sense. Well yeah, I suppose sex can confuse friendship haha
  • baraccus
    baraccus Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Is it possible he's pursuing someone else and doesn't want to lose what he has with you? So she's taking up his text time? Or strange enough, maybe he is having a hard time and is trying to develop feelings for you so he's trying to cut down the contact? I can't really give a logical explanation because why would you want to lose the friendship and keep the sex when both is so much better?
  • mamacita721
    Options
    I would actually be fine with option #1 because I do not have the time to give him anything more than I do and he knows that. I want him to be happy and if he needs a "full time" relationship, then fine; go for it. He knew that I could not give him that from the jump. Just tell me what you need. If you want to reset the boundaries, say so. It may work, it may not. But at least no one is wasting their time.

Doesnt matter what type of relationship it is; if the relationship matters, then communication is key.
  • christine24t
    Options
    This is a great post from one of my favorite bloggers. He just posted this on Thursday which is good timing.

http://www.therulesrevisited.com/2013/04/men-and-friends-with-benefits.html

Men and "Friends with Benefits"

While explaining her relationship with a guy she is interested in, a reader who recently wrote to me for advice reminded me of the difference between the typical male and female approach to being "friends with benefits":

I guess we're friends with benefits because there's no commitment on both parts. I also made a conscious choice that it was only purely physical with what happened between us (only twice by the way). But I liked his company and the flowing conversations we had. I didn't put any pressure on him either. I had no illusions, in other words. I was, however, hoping that we could learn more about each other slowly and establish a good foundation before going to the next level. But again, I had no illusions.
    The simple fact is that men almost never fall in love this way, despite what you saw in the fictional movie (emphasis on fictional), No Strings Attached. The woman quoted above might not have had any illusions about the fact that the relationship was purely sexual, but I suspect she did have some illusions about just how unlikely it was that her love interest would change his perspective on the relationship. If she hadn't, she wouldn't have wasted her time.

It has been my experience - both personal and vicarious - that the vast majority of women view a casual sexual relationship as a potential stepping stone towards a relationship. Men, on the other hand, see it as nothing more than what it sounds like: sex with no emotional ties, no commitment, nothing. If anything, men treat it as a step away from a committed relationship, because if they wanted more from a woman, they wouldn't settle for mere sex; they'd want her exclusivity also. (If this sounds familiar, it is probably because it is almost identical to the difference between the male and female perspectives on moving in together before marriage.)

Any man who is mildly observant of the opposite sex will have a hunch in the back of his mind that this kind of relationship is bound to explode eventually. But he isn't going to turn down all of the commitment-free sex he'll get in the meantime just because of some "feeling." Men don't trust feelings the way women do. Men are hyper-rational, literal creatures. If it is called "no-strings-attached" relationship, that's exactly how he treats it, no matter how much cuddling and hanging out is involved.

Furthermore, a man will often be willing to engage in a relationship like this with a woman who is below his league, in the same way that many people will have lower standards for the quality of the house they lease, as opposed to the one they eventually buy.

Yes, of course, I know, there are occasional exceptions. There are always exceptions. Once in a while, a long-term relationship or even a marriage can grow out of something that started as friends-with-benefits. But the point is that, when it comes to casual sexual relationships, the exceptions are so rare that you'll be far better off avoiding them completely than taking a gamble on even the most apparently promising ones.

So before you jump at the opportunity to "get closer" to the man you want by making things sexual, recognize that his willingness to engage in a casual sexual relationship with you is actually a step away from commitment, not a step towards it.
  • mamacita721
    Options
    Wow.

That gives me something to think about. I certainly had no "illusions". FWB was not someone that I would ever have a relationship with. I know him too well, and is not a for the long haul type. But to see from a man's perspective....brutal and it breeds even more insecurity.

Oh well. Lesson learned. No more "boys" until I am at my peak!
  • christine24t
    Options
    But to see from a man's perspective....brutal and it breeds even more insecurity.

I think he sums it up well when he says "The vast majority of women view a casual sexual relationship as a potential stepping stone towards a relationship. Men, on the other hand, see it as nothing more than what it sounds like: sex with no emotional ties, no commitment, nothing."

His point is if you like a guy, wooing him with sex isn't the answer. Sex should be a part of a relationship, not a stepping stone to one.

This compares to the same way that a "nice guy" thinks that giving a woman emotional intimacy/listening to her all the time is a way to get her to like him, and then he gets mad when she goes for another man. "But I listened to her and let her cry on my shoulder why didn't she like me?" And women are saying, "but I gave him sex, why doesn't he like me?"
  • mamacita721
    Options
    I see that. I am just the exception to that generality. In fact, I straight up told him that is I even caught a whiff of him having feelings for me, I would be gone like the wind.

Maybe I should have been born a man.
  • christine24t
    Options
    I see that. I am just the exception to that generality. In fact, I straight up told him that is I even caught a whiff of him having feelings for me, I would be gone like the wind.

Maybe I should have been born a man.

Hahahahaha
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Where's the part that you stood up for yourself?
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Where's the part that you stood up for yourself?

I was wondering the same thing.
  • mamacita721
    Options
    Ha! I was so concerned about getting the back story clear that I forgot the pay off. So after the third time over the course of a week of me asking him a question and gettin kn answer, I finally told him that he could just continue being rude and that he was not hurting my feelings. I just expected better than a cliche poof from someone that I have known for nearly three years.

He did not reply for two more days. Said he has the flu and that he did not realize I was so sensitve. :huh:

Poor communication? Maybe. No longer worth the effort? Definitely. :indifferent:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, too much drama. Time to check out, good for you!
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Poor communication? Maybe. No longer worth the effort? Definitely. :indifferent:

I agree. Next!!!
  • DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options

It has been my experience - both personal and vicarious - that the vast majority of women view a casual sexual relationship as a potential stepping stone towards a relationship. Men, on the other hand, see it as nothing more than what it sounds like: sex with no emotional ties, no commitment, nothing. If anything, men treat it as a step away from a committed relationship, because if they wanted more from a woman, they wouldn't settle for mere sex; they'd want her exclusivity also. (If this sounds familiar, it is probably because it is almost identical to the difference between the male and female perspectives on moving in together before marriage.)

As a woman in a FWB situation, I can say that it is my experience that I know he doesn't want more than what we have. I have allowed myself to have stronger feelings for him than he does for me but that is my choice. It doesn't change what I expect from him - which is no commitment and to remain my friend when this "thing" is over. He and I are at the same but very different points in our lives and we communicate very well. If that weren't the case, I would call us fu3k-buddies and not FWB.

Any man who is mildly observant of the opposite sex will have a hunch in the back of his mind that this kind of relationship is bound to explode eventually. But he isn't going to turn down all of the commitment-free sex he'll get in the meantime just because of some "feeling." Men don't trust feelings the way women do. Men are hyper-rational, literal creatures. If it is called "no-strings-attached" relationship, that's exactly how he treats it, no matter how much cuddling and hanging out is involved.

He has the feeling that it may explode eventually, just like he has lots of feelings based on his experience with other women. I just continue to reassure him that I am not "other women." I don't care what other people say about what will happen in this situation, I am being honest with him and myself when I say that I don't want a relationship (even though - or maybe even because - I have strong feelings for him. He wants and deserves things from life that I am not willing or able to give.

Furthermore, a man will often be willing to engage in a relationship like this with a woman who is below his league, in the same way that many people will have lower standards for the quality of the house they lease, as opposed to the one they eventually buy.

ROFL - Okay, sure. but the woman could be doing the same. WTF!

Yes, of course, I know, there are occasional exceptions.

At least he acknowledges that there are exceptions. Too bad he didn't go so far as to say that some of those exceptions are actually from women and men who knew exactly what they wanted and got it.
  • DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options

I wouldn't kick him to the curb yet. If you actually texted and talked about things other than setting up time for mutual benefits, this is definitely the time to have a conversation about what is happening. It could be so many different things, I don't want to begin to guess. For me, it would be worth the effort to bring it up and see what happens.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

This compares to the same way that a "nice guy" thinks that giving a woman emotional intimacy/listening to her all the time is a way to get her to like him, and then he gets mad when she goes for another man. "But I listened to her and let her cry on my shoulder why didn't she like me?" And women are saying, "but I gave him sex, why doesn't he like me?"

Isn't this usually an unfortunate truth? This made me sort of hate boys A LOT in high school. "I listened while you talked about boring girl stuff/feelings- now you need to let me touch you even though I know you have a boyfriend" This was like every encounter I had with a male through teendom.

I learned about "but I gave him sex, why doesn't he like me" a lot later, and it SUCKED. I didn't think I wanted a relationship/thought I was for sure going to break this guy's heart, so I communicated no strings and he communicated exclusivity. He won me over after a few months, but by then he said "Well, but you didn't want any connection, so that's what I've focused on this entire time. You're too late." Cry. Now I know : )
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I wouldn't kick him to the curb yet. If you actually texted and talked about things other than setting up time for mutual benefits, this is definitely the time to have a conversation about what is happening. It could be so many different things, I don't want to begin to guess. For me, it would be worth the effort to bring it up and see what happens.

I think I'd be done with this situation- given the description, but I'd want to have a conversation just to find out what's going on.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, too much drama. Time to check out, good for you!

^^^ Yep. FWB are supposed to be easy and carefree.... pick up a phone, get laid, done. None of the bullsh*t. Glad you're out.