Introduce Yourself

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Hello Everyone,

I started this group, based on a post by hypotrochoid, to have a fun way to track the distance journeyed in The Hobbit. I love the book and did not see a group for The Hobbit Challenge, so I made this one. I thought a group would be the easiest way to post one's miles and share one's journey. Also, it is fun to compare the miles with the journey in the story.

There is another group called "To Mordor" and follows the journey in L.O.T.R if you want to do that one as well.

Replies

• KB1923
    KB1923 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, Everyone! I just joined MFP and am super stoked to join this group - what a great way to track your miles!!! :happy: Looking foward to meeting some friends on here!!
  • 52golfnut
    52golfnut Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I've been logging on MFP for a couple of months. Love this idea for tracking miles and love the Hobbit and LOTR - I've read all of the books many times. Looking forward to meeting new people.
  • travelbug002
    travelbug002 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just found this group and I think it's a wonderful idea. I love The Hobbit and LOTR. I hope I can make the distance like Bilbo but I think I'll wear shoes to walk.
  • Farasgranddaughter
    Options
    Hello all, just found this group and since I'm a HUGE fan of LOTR and The Hobbit (actually anything Middle Earth) I am looking forward to walking the paths of Thorin and company and making new friends along the way.
  • Maalea
    Maalea Posts: 16,309 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am glad I found this group, thanks for starting it!
    Although it would be nice (or rather not?) to go to Mordor, I will stick with the Lonely Mountain - I can walk to Mordor afterwards (and this would be the right chronology, as well).

I have done walking as my main exercise for some months - I think this challenge will add more fun to it. And I plan on adding some hiking and biking now that finally spring is coming.

Looking forward to meet some new friends here!
  • undermyskin242
    undermyskin242 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I am super excited about this fun and interesting way to track my progress. I am going to be training for a 10miler and have lots and lots of walking/running/exercising in general to do to get me ready for it. What a super fun way to do this. I am going to get the Middle Earth Atlas so I can see just where I am getting to. I cannot wait! Thanks for posting such a great idea!
  • tmlandgraf
    tmlandgraf Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have been on MFP technically for a few years, but I didn't start "using" it until February of this year. This sounds like a fun way to track my distance and see where my journey will take me. Thanks for starting the group and here's to new adventures :smile:
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love the Hobbit/LOTR books. (Just had to buy a new set because my 20 year old set fell apart.) I am looking forward to tracking my journey this way. I may just have to hike to Mordor when I am done. :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    This is a lovely idea! I just need to find a way to work out how far I'm walking.
  • nglesner
    nglesner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HI everyone! I just saw this group and thought it would be fun to do as I love walking and running and we have pedometers through work where record our steps everyday....so this is another great way to have some fun with walking! I look forward to meeting new people on here!
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started tracking a trip to Mordor I downloaded from another site, but I like this better with company! Journey on!
  • lilithfaire23
    Options
    Hi Everyone. This seems like the perfect adventure for my first group. I'm currently working off the 0 to 5K/10K runner for iPhone so I've been making around 2 to 2.25 miles three days a week for the first 2 weeks (on an elliptical). That will pick up soon and my dog might join me on some of the quest for walks around the park.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
  • ZeonDax
    ZeonDax Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just found this group and I think it's a wonderful idea. I love The Hobbit and LOTR. I'm a newbie to fitness and any exercise in general. My husband just got me a pedometer...and I'm always up for a friendly challenge. This should be very motivational for me.
  • Nyingje
    Nyingje Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi, I cut my eye teeth on JRRT and I LOVE to walk and hike. I walk everyday. This is perfect for me.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I read the Hobbit and LOTR when I was in early high school and loved them. I think this is an awesome way to track exercise and I'm hoping to get "There and back again" (even if it takes me a looooong time) :bigsmile:
  • stine13
    stine13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This group likely ended months ago. I found this challenge by chance after seeing there was a Harry Potter challenge this summer. I'm a Tolkien fan, and the Eowyn Challenge been getting me onto the treadmill this summer. What an entertaining way to inspire any distance exercise. :-) I'm doing the walk from Bag End to Rivendell (397 miles), and am approaching the Brandywine Bridge.