Days you go over your calories...?

Options
Hey Ladies,

I somehow managed to eat an entire 32oz. container of greek yogurt for lunch (spacing at the computer, over a span of several hours). After a light dinner I'm over my calories for the day--

Do you typically suck it up and stick with tea and water for the rest of the day when you reach your goal? Or do you allow yourself a salad if you get super hungry? Would love some advice!!! I seem to find myself in this situation all too frequently :/

xx
-A

Replies

• asxlim
    asxlim Posts: 2
    Options
    Nuts.... that is my weakness. I always over eat on almonds, macadamias, walnuts and peanuts.

On those awful days where I over eat, I drink water. I tell myself it's ok and I try my best to stop. If the cravings get too strong I busy myself with work, chores, readings and anything physical. I try to stay away from the computer because sitting around it makes me hungry lol

We all get bad days, but it's okay as long as we work hard the following day!
    Good luck!
  • FL_Girl31
    Options
    I have a hard time staying under the calorie goal I set for myself. I've found that as long as I drink at least a gallon of water, and my ratios are good, my calories aren't greatly important. I'm talking a little over, not major over. I will always eat when I'm hungry, but if my calories are off, I eat a huge salad before I eat anything else..... dark chocolate almonds are my weakness.... I find I need something that my body considers sweet every day. Thankfully unsweet coconut tastes sweet, and mayo tastes sweet. Don't beat yourself up over it, just be more observant the next day. As long as your carbs aren't too high, and as long as your ratios are close and your calories aren't several hundreds over, you should still move the right direction I think.
  • roeroica
    roeroica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I've blasted through it (like by going to a party and eating out) I basically regard that day as a wash.

If I go over just a bit, I don't fret since it's still a deficit, just not as large as I hoped it would be.
  • shysilverskies
    shysilverskies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've actually had a harder time reaching my calories. Most days, my meals leave me at around 800 and I have to scramble for something for a after dinner snack. The few times I've gone over, I've kind of counted it as a loss, because it's only one day, but as long as I'm not 500 calories over, I'm still at a deficit.
  • dappijue
    dappijue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think this is where intermittent fasting is really helpful, because once I go over my calories it's already bedtime so I just take some melatonin and go to sleep
  • flyingpiriposa
    flyingpiriposa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This has been an issue for me as well. I had days when my calorie intake was getting beyond my threshold and I would worry. Sometimes it is because I'm craving for something and others just because I'm a little bit hungry. Obviously, I tend to try the drinking water/tea/coffee first and add some heavy cream (not too much, though) and see if it makes me feel full. If despite the liquids I still feel hungry, I don't suffer for it... and munch something. I try not to eat something too caloric buuuuuut, if I can't handle I will just allow myself to do so (always from keto-friendly food, never cheating).

If I'm energetic enough, I'll try to practice some sport at home (walking at home videos are awesome!!) or go for a walk... that way I'll be burning some calories and feel less guilty about it.

Also, I bear in mind that there are 3 different caloric threshold:

1) One in which I know I will lose weight (sooner or later, since I'm a slow loser). (In my case 1300 cal/day)
    2) Another in which I won't neither lose or gain. (Less than 2000 cal/day is fine).
    3) You will, eventually, gain weight. (More than 2000 cal/day)

I always try to stick to the 1st one, but some days I go beyond 1300 cal, and I have reached the 3rd one only a couple of times.... and just tried to keep it fine the next day. IMO it's always important to remember that adding fat will make you less hungry and also proteins (in case you haven't reached the ratio of the day), but not too many since we know the body can transform them into carbs.

Hope my ideas help! Don't be too hard on yourself. We're already doing a lot taking care of ourselves with our daily meals, which it is something that requires tons of our energies!

=)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Unless your making a habit of going way over (and your calories are set to something reasonable) Don't stress it! Keep calm and Keto on. Or, go out and exercise, then MPF will give you more calories (if your into the MFP theory of cal in vs cal out).
  • ashthulhu
    ashthulhu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to combat this two ways: planning and portioning

I try to plan as much as possible for what I eat and then I measure out the portion I will be eating. It's tedious and I get annoyed but my results are far better when I do this. If I go over severely on calories but my macros are good, I chalk it up to stress and/or hormones and stay more diligent the next day.
  • BandB1979
    BandB1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I too have a problem with not enough calories. I have to find something at the end of the night to help with those few extra. But one of the things i try to remember is to not have the whole container in front of me. Such as peanuts (I can eat and eat those). Instead I grab the serving amount and put the rest away so that I don't continue to eat the whole bag.
  • clarissawho
    Options
    Usually days I go over on my calories (because I was hungry, and I like to listen to my body) I still record a loss, and usually it is the day after I ate more calories then i do the rest of the week. It can be addicting, but I weigh every morning after I use the bathroom.

If I eat something that is not a leafy green, or fat/protein source then I will probably not record as big a loss(if any) that week. If I have to "cheat" or eat more, I make sure it is uncured bacon, a hardboiled egg or some cheese WITH LOTS of water. My goals are to lose fat, but also maintain the muscle I do have. If I maintained all of my current muscle mass to get to 18-20%BF that would put me at about 140. Today I measured 179 :)

For accidentally eating more than you planned, it is nice to have those little 1 C/8oz tupper wares (rubbermaid or gladware) to portion out yogurt, or some cheese, etc... It was a good investment, at the IKEA I go to, they have little 2-3oz containers (inside Of a multipak which is clear with green lids) which are great for nuts and a little chunk of dark chocolate. ;)
  • natasia600
    natasia600 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tend to not make a fuss if I go over a little bit. It takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, so my 50-100 over seems trivial. Generally, I focus on my macros ratio and my cal goal per week and that it is not over. I had a day last week where I was over maybe 23cal and a day where I was over 190 cal (peanut butter, lol) but since I was under the other days I was still under for the whole week.