Options
ilookthetype
ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
Am I the only Whovian who hates Rose?

Replies

• Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think Martha's much worse, but I do agree she was abit ****...nowhere near the awsome of Amy/River/Rory/Donna

Normally I don't mind her THAT much but then people rave OMG TENNANT/PIPER WERE THE BEST I'm like sit down, no
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't hate Rose, she's ok. Amy is much MUCH better. But David Tennant is still my favorite Doctor even though Matt is winning me over a little more with every episode.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Rose and Martha are infinitely better than Amy. Although Donna surpasses them all by far.
  • Hikaru37
    Options
    In what universe is a chavvy gobby whinge of a love interest who turned the Doctor unbearably miserable and a moping unrequited love replacement better than the stubborn, arsey, ginger and downright shexy Amelia Pond? Have you not watched Season 5 or 6?

She is the dogs b*llocks
    Top notch
    Pure awsome
    And her short skirts are nicer than Rose's trackies or Martha's nasty little red leather jacket thing :P

And dat accent
    DAT ACCENT

Scottish > Cockney
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The "I'm a tough girl and I need to show it by putting down the guys around me constantly and being overbearing in general" act was stale before the end of episode 1 of series 5. At least Rose or Martha could be completely ignored most of the time. And yes, unfortunately, I have watched all of series 5 and 6. Fortunately, River Song at least partly tempers the smugness that is caked all over Amy's character. Sadly, they haven't rid the show of the character yet, so I'll have to endure another series with the obnoxious companion character. Accents and how the actors look are maybe 5% of what I'm interested in; the character and dialog are what matter to me.
  • Hikaru37
    Options
    :')
    Ahh that's a good and funny point about ignoring the others

Naturally I don't find that to be important, it's just a nice bonus and makes her more bearable than the others I feel. Personally I think her character and witty dialogue are amazing, but everyone's entitled to their opinion ^_^

Who's your favourite companion- Donna? :)
  • Prince_Syu
    Prince_Syu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dislike rose with a passion. Her character was so needy and just over all annoying. Martha was pretty needy as well but I enjoyed her seasons more then with Rose. Mostly because she was easier to look at then the white trash Rose with her brown roots growing out Dx and omg! those teeth!!

The best Companion out there HAS TO BE Donna. Her chemistry with David Tennant was amazing. The fact that they are still best friends even after the season ended makes it even better. Donna didn't fall in love, they become best friends to keep each other in check! she was a strong women without being smug about it! She has low self esteem so she was easy to relate with for us normal people xD
    I very much love her, and the shows they did together after words like Much ado about nothing. so funny.

I also love Amy/Rory but no one will top Donna!
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I dislike rose with a passion. Her character was so needy and just over all annoying. Martha was pretty needy as well but I enjoyed her seasons more then with Rose. Mostly because she was easier to look at then the white trash Rose with her brown roots growing out Dx and omg! those teeth!!

The best Companion out there HAS TO BE Donna. Her chemistry with David Tennant was amazing. The fact that they are still best friends even after the season ended makes it even better. Donna didn't fall in love, they become best friends to keep each other in check! she was a strong women without being smug about it! She has low self esteem so she was easy to relate with for us normal people xD
    I very much love her, and the shows they did together after words like Much ado about nothing. so funny.

I also love Amy/Rory but no one will top Donna!

I believe Donna was my favorite as well! I liked Catheirne Tate before she acted on the show, and her being a Companion just solidified my love for her.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Can my favorite companion be Rory? I adore River, but as far as everyday, in the TARDIS all the time companions, I know Rory is the sidekick, but he's such an awesome person.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth about Rose, but generally I like her. I do have a soft spot for Ten/Rose because it did seem like he loved her in a bit more romantic way than the other companions after.

Donna was amazing. I love their bromance. In some was I think Amy was sort of a poor man's Donna for Eleven at first (like maybe subconsciously he missed his mouthy ginger bff?) I know I'm reaching there, though.

I didn't love Amy at first but she grew on me after a bit. Especially towards the end, she really came into her own. Rory just got better and there's something about River that makes me uneasy. I want to like her, and generally I do, but I go back and forth. I don't think her and Eleven's relationship is always believable, but it makes opportunities for the funnies so I overlook those feelings.

Do not get me started on Martha! I found her FAR more needy and whiny than Rose or even Amy later on. She's the only companion so far I liked less the more I got to know her (except maybe River, but not as severely). Everything was "Why don't you love meeee?" in a sort of passive agressive way. It bummed me out because I really thought I would love her after the first couple episodes.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I liked Rose OK but never thought she was "all that". Donna was the best by far and Rory. They both called the Doctor out on his !@#$!

35373pj.jpg
  • skinnygeekwithin
    skinnygeekwithin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on Rory and Donna! They were the best! I don't really like the Matt Smith's eps with just him and Amy. Now him, Amy and Rory.. Perfect combo.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I LOVE her. Just because right from the get go, she's a badass and saves the Doctor in the first episode. And she takes in the TARDIS, can't forget Bad Wolf. I don't like Amy much because she just seems to be a pretty face. Martha, I used to not like her at all because she whined about the doctor not loving her (but then again I woudl do the same). Then I grew to like her when I saw what she put up with. As John Smith, in the Family of Blood episodes, he treated her for a a bit as everyone else did, like she was stupid and her ideas about him being an alien was "foolish nonsense or cultural differences". Yet she stayed loyal to him, watching him fall in love with someone else all the while.

But I do love Donna. SHe's so caring and spunky and the way she reaches out to people and grounds the Doctor (like in Pompeii). It took some time for her to grow on me because she has a somewhat grating personality but now I love her!

In short, I CAN"T ANSWER THE FAVORITE COMPANION QUESTION, but I lean towards Rose.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am willing to speak in Rose's defense. Tell me why do you hate her?
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Well she is no K9!!!! But yeah what is your issue with Rose?
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I thought Rose was a great companion to re-boot the series, she, like so many North American viewers were totally new to Doctor Who, in so many ways she was the telescope through which we travelled with the Doctor. Of the modern companions it would have to be Donna, she was a friend and a companion. Doctor Who has never had love interests with his companions and I did not like that aspect of the Rose/Doctor dynamic. Martha just whined. And Amy, well there were times when I wondered if it was the Amy Pond show and not Doctor Who. She basically had 3 eye movements which projected the extent of her acting ability. I think for me what sums it up is the number of times I have re-watched a Doctor Who episode, from the original series to the reboot. I have never re-watched a Matt Smith/Amy Pond episode, most of the time I barely got through them the first time. Fair enough some of it was writing, but to me, without a doubt, Matt Smith is a better actor next to Jenna Louise Coleman.

As for my favourites from the original series, Leela, the Brigadier, Jamie, Susan and of course Sarah Jane and K-9