How crazy are you when it comes to running?

Options
Zekela
Zekela Posts: 634 Member
So, as I passed up running today because of the crazy lightening storm, I was wondering if you guys would have done the same?
I'm pretty obsessed when it comes to running since it feels so good and the exercise high afterwards is priceless. It feels good passing kids on bicycles or people on skates as I run or passing people competing in a half while I'm doing a training run. I also get to reflect and ponder on things, figure out programming codes as this time is for me.
So, what's the craziest thing you have done when it comes to running? For me, it would be competing in a half marathon with a sprained ankle. Did it under 2 hours though :-)

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would run in a lightening storm. I've done it a couple of times. It's pretty exhilarating. :)

I refused to stop training for a marathon last summer as I was suffering from Lyme Disease. All I cared about was how the treatment was going to impact my training (it didn't). I ran a mile race PR right in the middle of treatment too. :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I havn't ran in a lightening storm (YET) because in England we tend to get these in the summer along with hail storms. I will run in this!.

Like Carson, I am training for a marathon and refuse to run indoors..did a lot of my training runs in -15 degrees to -10 with blizzard,snow and ice conditions. Didn't set any PR's, but I finished my runs.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Lightening storm. The strikes were so close that the hair on the back of my neck was standing up. Kinda creepy and probably not my smartest move but exhilarating!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    But I'd rather run in extreme cold than heat!
  • Zekela
    Options
    Wow guys, I wish you lived next to me because I'd definitely run with someone else during it. I've actually done runs way below freezing since I live in Ohio. Done blizzards and extreme fog, hail.... Just get scared during lightening and especially thunder :-/
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I did an 6.5 mile run in Hurricane Katia a few years ago. I will agree with bluefox about running in the cold, there were a few 17 degree days last winter.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I probably wouldn't run in lightning. I wanted to run during Sandy but I was hurt so I was on the couch for the whole time. With lightning I'd probably go to the gym and run on the treadmill.

I have run in pretty bad rain, but that doesn't really seem that crazy.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run in lightning. An 18 year old got struck and died a couple of summers back where I live so it's a no-go for me.

I don't think I've been a runner long enough to have any crazy stories yet. I'm training for my first half which is in May. I have a second half scheduled for Sept, the Niagara Full Marathon in Oct, and the Disney Run half in Jan. I guess the only crazy thing I've done is signing up for all these races before I've even run my first half :smile:
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I used to stop running a half marathon when two of my vertebrae in my back stuck together. I finished the race hunched over in pain. I won't run in the cold very often, as a big man, I very falling on ice. I live in Minnesota so I have to run on a treadmill and have learned to not to hate it.

I've ran in snow, sleet, snow, and heat though.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I like running in the cold, 17 degrees is perfect. Over the winter I ran in a couple of the nor'easters we had here in Boston, so rain and strong winds. My rule for running in storms like that is to just stay off of bridges. I don't cross the charles when winds are 20-30 mph. But running is okay. For ligtening though, if I wasn't already out, I'd check the radar to see when it would pass and go out after. When it happens during my run, I keep going, my running partner is taller than me.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well one time I tried to run with a fractured foot. While in the boot. Not my best run ever, lol.

I am another that scratches runs in lightning. I will run in rain or snow, but our neighbors house was hit by lightning when I was growing up. My brother told me it was god throwing bolts at me for being bad and his aim was off. While I know this isnt true and I no longer hide under the bed about to wet my pants during storms, I also saw what it did to the house. Eek.
  • Zekela
    Options
    I'm also planning to run the Disney Marathon or possibly the Goofy challenge in January. Interestingly, Disney postpones races in the event of lightening storms :-/
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Disney Marathon in January too! (Wanted to do the Dopey Challenge, but didn't want to pay for it!)

I've only been running since last summer so I don't have any really crazy stories, but I did run in 7 degree (F) weather. BRRR that is WAY too cold, not sure I will do that again!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    No running in lightning for me. I have made peace with the treadmill, and use it when it's too crappy out. As a former Infantry Sgt., my tough guy days are behind me and see no point in putting my life at risk for a run. Everybody is different, though. :o)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm also planning to run the Disney Marathon or possibly the Goofy challenge in January. Interestingly, Disney postpones races in the event of lightening storms :-/

Of course they do. It's just common sense. :happy:
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    No thunderstorms for me yet, and today decided to avoid the freezing rain (more because I am sick though). I did run all of our Canadian winter through freezing temps, ice and snow storms....loved it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You may want to register soon if you haven't already, it is my understanding that Goofy sells out quick.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon about a month ago with untreated bronchitis. It took me about half an hour longer than I was hoping, but it was out of state and after all the training done and money spent there was no way I was going to miss it. Not my smartest move, since it took me about 3 weeks to recover, but so completely worth it.
  • Zekela
    Options
    You may want to register soon if you haven't already, it is my understanding that Goofy sells out quick.

Thanks for the heads up! I see that some of the events are already sold out. I got scared of the Goofy and decided to register for the marathon. I used my half marathon results (since you have to use a 10 miler or higher) to qualify as a placement in the front. I put an estimated finish time of 3hrs and 15 mins... based on the half, I should finish the full in 3hrs and 4 mins... but gotta put 10 mins for error, right? :-)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There's crazy (a little out there but the risk/reward ratio is high) and then there's stupid (there will be, not maybe, a heavy price to pay and it better be worth it to you). I've done both.