Going Gluten Free and Need Some GF Pals!!!

Options
knowak82
knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
Hey, everyone...I'm new to this group, and REALLY new to going gluten free! :blushing:

I've decided to give being GF a try because I've been having issues with feeling generally cruddy after I eat for the last few months now. I've toyed with the idea of going GF for a while, and finally decided to pull the trigger...My first day was yesterday, and from just one day, I feel SUCH a difference! I'm thinking I'm going to give this a try and stick with it, for my health :bigsmile:

I'm looking for some gluten free MFP pals who have open diaries and are willing to share favorite GF foods, brands, etc. with a newb like me! :flowerforyou:

I'm not needy, and don't need a ton of interaction or cheerleading, just friends who are willing to help out a new GF eater if she needs it! :blushing:

Thanks everyone!!!

Replies

• sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, feel free to add me. Just a disclaimer though, I'm currently trying to eat with a primal/paleo focus, so you'll see very little in the way of processed stuff or grains.
  • knowak82
    Options
    My diary is open, feel free to add me. Just a disclaimer though, I'm currently trying to eat with a primal/paleo focus, so you'll see very little in the way of processed stuff or grains.

No disclaimer needed :bigsmile: I look forward to seeing what a primal/paleo regimen actually looks like! :smile:

I've always wanted to try the primal/paleo eating...I'd love to get the processed "food" (aka, crap!) out of my house, but at this point, my husband won't allow it! LOL!!! To each their own, I suppose! :laugh:

Friend request sent...thanks!!!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have been GF for almost a month and I could always use more GF friends. Feel free to add me.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for almost 3 months after being diagnosed as intolerant. I eat a mostly raw, whole food, plant based diet (lots of fruit!). You can add me if that interests you. :)
  • knowak82
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I'll send over FRs :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me - been a coeliac for over 20 years and have an open diary.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, but my diary is empty right now though lol. I am good for anwering questions though! And I'm mom to 3 GF kids.

I'm 100% gluten free, due to what they thought was Celiacs.....but they were wrong. As of 2 weeks ago I am a Crohns patient....so I'll be starting to log again soon so I can at least keep track of what causes issues. Gluten most def. does.
  • Pressing_On11
    Options
    I just started eating gluten free too! I was diagnosed with Celiac. I'm already starting to feel better without the gluten! Feel free to add me!
  • pepgab
    pepgab Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am GF because of celiac. Friend me if needed.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Gluten-Intolerant, open diary....feel free to add me :)
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm in the EXACT same boat as you are OP :) I am also looking for GF friends for support/ideas. I live on my own and just starting this today, so the extra support would be phenomenal :) Feel free to add me OP and anyone else who would like too!
  • knowak82
    Options
    I'm in the EXACT same boat as you are OP :) I am also looking for GF friends for support/ideas. I live on my own and just starting this today, so the extra support would be phenomenal :) Feel free to add me OP and anyone else who would like too!

I'll add you all! The more the merrier, right? :drinker:

I REALLY like to bake, so I'm really looking forward to trying some different GF subs in my baking...have started doing some research, and am hoping to be able to tinker around with some GF baking this weekend! :huh: We shall see how it goes!
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just went gluten free at the beginning of February. I'm amazed at what a difference it has made. No official diagnosis, but there is some definant intolerance or sensitivity going on. I'm always open to new friends if you are interested. I just opened my diary (yikes, that's nerve wracking!) as I figure that'll help keep me on track better and I love to bake and try new recipes.
  • pebblesnj
    pebblesnj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiac, but as an experiment this past June, my boyfriend and I decided to try going gluten-free for 10 days. We felt so good that we just kept it up.

I'm not going to say there aren't occasional lapses (and when there's a lapse, I feel it!), but, for the most part, I don't eat any wheat at all, and avoid other gluten-containing foods like rye or spelt. Baking is a passion of mine, so I use gluten-free flour (or rice, soy, or oat flour) when I do bake. There are tons of grains you can substitute; I enjoy quinoa and have recently discovered purple rice.

Would love to exchange tips/recipes with other GF eaters.
  • Pumpkin1513
    Options
    Feel free to friend me!

I have been GF since February 2013. I think I may have an intolerance to it, or CD (in the process of finding out).

I tried to incorporate it back into my diet 3 times, each time with worse side effects!

So far it has really helped my skin (no more eczema) and my boyfriend even says my breath has improved :P
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I could use some gluten free friends too - I'm new to both gf and mfp, so I'm happy to add anybody who wants in!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My diet is gluten free and my diary is open. Feel free to add me and ask any questions that you have.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been gluten free for 2 years!
  • littlenyama
    Options
    I went gluten free a little over a year ago and was very successful. Then I had to start eating it again so I could get the testing done. Found out I'm not celiac, but am allergic to wheat so I am to to be wheat-free and oatmeal-free which results in me using a lot of GF recipes. Problem is, once I went back to eating it for testing, it was much harder to go G-Free the second time. It's been a struggle the last year. I have been G-Free for 3 days now and feel it is helping reduce my overall allergy load so I'm not so exhausted this Spring.

I find the easist way of sticking to it is lots of large salads, eggs, chicken, fish. Almost a South Beach Diet. I also use rice flour for minimal baking to meet my need for sweets, but I don't get do complicated recipes since I just don't have time. And I don't buy GF products since they tend to be expensive and not that great. My one pre-made item I get is Udi's pizza crusts. I love pizza and it's really hard to give up.
  • knowak82
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my OP! Looking forward to getting to know my new MFP Pals, along with getting the hang of a GF lifestyle! :drinker: