running and calories

Options
revgosik
revgosik Posts: 62 Member
I am very new to running. I have a heart rate monitor and some of the longer distances I do I burn close to/ if not over 1000 calories. How much of that should I eat back?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You'll just have to experiment with it. The range is probably between 50% and 100% of them, so it's all over the board. I would go with "eat when you're hungry" and see how that works.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You should eat something with lots of protein shortly after your long runs; don't gorge yourself but get something in your system. The trap a lot of runners fall into is they see all those calories they burn and think "I can eat whatever I want" and they end up putting on weight.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I am very new to running. I have a heart rate monitor and some of the longer distances I do I burn close to/ if not over 1000 calories. How much of that should I eat back?

"new to running" and burning in the region of 1k cals - how new are you to running? (I'm just wondering if you should be running that far if you're "new to running".

Are you asking the MFP "should I eat my exercise calories back"? Or are you asking, "I'm a runner and I want to run better…"
  • ATT949
    Options
    You should eat something with lots of protein shortly after your long runs; don't gorge yourself but get something in your system. The trap a lot of runners fall into is they see all those calories they burn and think "I can eat whatever I want" and they end up putting on weight.

The standard replenisher food recommendation, from pablum like Runner's World across the spectrum to Noakes and Daniels, is to eat a meal consisting of a 3 to 1 ratio of carbs to proteins within 30 minutes after your run to promote maximal restocking of glycogen (carbs) and to provide protein to repair micro-damage.

Which reminds me that I need to make my blueberry and yogurt smoothie since I did a 4 miler today! :-)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back all my exercise calories but it depends on your goals. If you want to lose weight I see nothing wrong with only eating back part of your burn and leaving a small deficit.
  • revgosik
    revgosik Posts: 62 Member
    Options

"new to running" and burning in the . togion of 1k cals - how new are you to running? (I'm just wondering if you should be running that far if you're "new to running".

Are you asking the MFP "should I eat my exercise calories back"? Or are you asking, "I'm a runner and I want to run better…"

Well I have been walking for years and would run some. Never usually more than a mile. I had a goal to do 12 races (5ks mostly) this year and have done 7plus a 10k since january. I am doing a half in May. i definitely want to run better I also want/need to continue to lose weight.
  • ATT949
    Options

"new to running" and burning in the . togion of 1k cals - how new are you to running? (I'm just wondering if you should be running that far if you're "new to running".

Well I have been walking for years and would run some. Never usually more than a mile. I had a goal to do 12 races (5ks mostly) this year and have done 7plus a 10k since january. I am doing a half in May. i definitely want to run better I also want/need to continue to lose weight.

Wow, you're really getting into running races—excellent!

[Just saw my horrible type - it should have been "in the region of 1k calls")

In that you're about 30 pounds from goal weight, I'd continue to pursue that goal. One of the advantages of dropping weight is that, with each pound that you drop, you "save" about 2 seconds per mile.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm half marathon training so I have similar burns on my long runs. I tend to eat all of them back otherwise I'm starving. I experimented a few weeks ago and ate only 75% back and the following day I was so hungry that I ended up overeating by close to the same amount I fell short the day before.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think you should continue to eat as you are, assuming you are losing as you desire and if you feel a bit hungrier after your long run days, then feel fine with eating a bit more. Keep it simple! =)
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    I run ~40 miles a week and understand what you mean about being hungry especially after you go for a run lasting longer than an hour. Besides my three big meals each day I have little snacks in-between; the trick is to make those snacks something that will keep you from being hungry while also not packing in a ton of calories. I always make sure I have a bunch of fruit at home and at my work for my mid-morning and afternoon snack. I also like Kashi TLC Honey Almond Flax bars but not every day. Baby carrots and other raw veggies work well also.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's some people who have lost some major weight in this thread. Amazing job and congrats to everyone!
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    Wow, there's some people who have lost some major weight in this thread. Amazing job and congrats to everyone!
    Look who's talking Miss "I lost 41 lbs" :P
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    On my longer runs (8+ miles) I try to spread the calories out a bit over the weekend, so if I have a big run planned on Saturday I'll eat a few hundred over on Friday and Sunday and leave a bit of a deficit on Saturday. Seems to work for me, saves me from trying to eat a zillion calories on Saturday.

I drink a protein shake too, with milk in it, which is a great way to get 3-400 calories back without having a big meal, and helps heal the body.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    On my longer runs (8+ miles) I try to spread the calories out a bit over the weekend, so if I have a big run planned on Saturday I'll eat a few hundred over on Friday and Sunday and leave a bit of a deficit on Saturday. Seems to work for me, saves me from trying to eat a zillion calories on Saturday.

I drink a protein shake too, with milk in it, which is a great way to get 3-400 calories back without having a big meal, and helps heal the body.

I do this too, my Saturday morning run is 10+ miles so I take in a bit more Friday afternoon and Sunday I seem to graze a bit more! =P
  • runto130
    runto130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    With longer runs you definetly want to eat something with good carbs and protein. Helps with energy and muscle repair. Good luck!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I find I perform better if I eat most the calories for a long run within about 12 hours before. Then, after some calories for recovery, I try to get a moderate deficit afterwards.

Also, for better performance, eat at the same calories during a taper as during training to provide a natural carboload for the race.