I am never going to progres in OHP !!

Options
2»

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    (or socks filled with pennies in my case!).

I misread pennies for something else, oops! Picking mind up out of the gutter... ; )
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I started the OHP at 45 pounds last May...I was just able to finally lift 80 pounds last week. I was stuck at 70-75 FOREVER! I didn't think I'd ever be able to do 80. I was only able to do 3x5, but I'll take it! lol I'm sure it will be another few months before I'm able to make 85 pounds.
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This has all made me feel so much better :-)
    I'm stuck on 50lb ohp and 60lb bench press..!! Iv only been doing these weights for 4 sessions so I shouldn't whittle and realise that it's ok :-)
    I need new weight set .. A heavier set with olympic weight barbell as on deadlifts I'm going to be at the point where I can't go heavier as I physically can't add anymore weight on the bar :-(
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck @ 60 lb. on OHP for a few weeks too. Last time, I decided to drop down to 55 lb. again, and that was STILL a struggle. I have to remember not to make it a push press just to get the reps out. I feel like I'm cheating myself if I stop after 2-3 reps, but I'm trying to get over that and focus on good form and doing the move RIGHT.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is to settle for 1 set of working weight and do your 5x5 staggered rather than straight across.

Meaning you do a set at say 30, then another at 35, another at 40, another at 50 and another at 55 (which would be your highest attempt for the workout). For example.

Many traditional 5x5 programs work that way, and in my humble opinion there's no shame in doing it this way if it'll allow you to progress. No shame in having 1 actual "working set" rather than 5 or 3 or whatever. Rippetoe will tell you that the first 2 sets ought to be warm-up sets anyhoo.

Long as you're progressing, that's what ultimately matters. If straight-across 5x5 for working sets isn't working for you, try another approach.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    just to put things in perspective
    according to this nice calculator http://www.strstd.com/ if you are 140 lbs women, 45lbs OHP for 5 reps puts you right in the middle of untrained and novice. Novice means 6-9 months! of training. Half way there would be 3 to 5 months.
    I am lifting for almost a year. I can do only 55 lbs for 5 reps. That is almost intermediate level (up to 2 years! o f training).
    It sucks when you look at other women here and see they can OHP 100 or 80 or even 60 lbs, but don't measure your progress against others. It's awesome that you managed to start with the oly bar, most women can't even do that. I couldn't, I was using 22 lbs bar in the beginning.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ooh nice, thanks! it puts me below untrained for bench, 2/3 of the way towards novice for squat, 1/3 towards intermediate for deadlift and 1/4 towards intermediate for OHP..
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    ooh nice, thanks! it puts me below untrained for bench, 2/3 of the way towards novice for squat, 1/3 towards intermediate for deadlift and 1/4 towards intermediate for OHP..

my bench is also my worst. I'm over intermedita for deads and squats, slightly under for OHP but not even novice when it comes to bench :sad: I hope I'll get to intermidiate during the next year
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I am doing lots of dumbbell presses and maybe once a week I use the barbell. I just got frustrated and decided to start all over again. Haven't made any progress yet, but we'll see.
  • caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck at 55 for OHP, I can just squeak 5x5 out (with grunting) and rows are stalled at 80. I think fractional weights to take to the gym are next on my list. Others are still going up alright, but I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks. I have the sneaking suspicion that my squats aren't quite proper form, but I don't see others in my gym squatting. Actually, I've only seen one other woman trying the weights, and she was doing deads.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Fractional plates seem to be working very well for me so far and my press feels easier than my squat for some reason.
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    just to put things in perspective
    according to this nice calculator http://www.strstd.com/ if you are 140 lbs women, 45lbs OHP for 5 reps puts you right in the middle of untrained and novice. Novice means 6-9 months! of training. Half way there would be 3 to 5 months.
    I am lifting for almost a year. I can do only 55 lbs for 5 reps. That is almost intermediate level (up to 2 years! o f training).
    It sucks when you look at other women here and see they can OHP 100 or 80 or even 60 lbs, but don't measure your progress against others. It's awesome that you managed to start with the oly bar, most women can't even do that. I couldn't, I was using 22 lbs bar in the beginning.

Oohh this calculation puts me in middle of untrained and novice and iv been lifting for 7 weeks so I'm about right ..!! However oby ohp I'm in middle of novice and intermediate ..!!! Hmmm how us that ..??? When everything else is lower ..??
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

It sucks when you look at other women here and see they can OHP 100 or 80 or even 60 lbs, but don't measure your progress against others.

Yes! Strength takes time. It is the one thing I am consistently good at. So I keep coming back to lifting heavy. I have been lifting on and off for about 10 total years of my life since I was 19 years old. That is why my lifts are in the advanced to elite levels. Also I have a lot more lean mass, fat mass and total mass than the smaller ladies here. Total weight helps too.

10 years to push those weights up and up and up. 20 years to get into good, healthy eating habits to fuel my workouts. That seems a long time, but does put the whole "I am never gonna progress" thing into perspective. You can and you will. Just push through, keep trying. Even if it is one rep of the heaviest weight. Keep trying. I also think that a good base of strength i.e. getting good at bodyweight exercises (push ups, chin ups, pull ups, tricep dips, etc) helps with the compound lifts.

As I have mentioned before and Tameko and others have, make sure your macros are in order and you are eating enough to fuel the hard work you are making your muscles do. Make sure you are resting well, sleeping enough, rehydrating enough (getting enough you time as well) and taking enough time between sets to recover and continue.