Grocery shopping!

Options
Every time we go grocery shopping, we make sure to get plenty of meat and fresh veggies. What else are your must haves from the grocery store?

Replies

• tallscrubs
    Options
    -Bacon
    -Eggs
    -Chorizo
    -Chicken
    -Spinach leaves
    -heavy whipping cream

(that's my "get every time you go to the store" list--you can never have too much of the above, IMO! I have lots of other things, like a pork shoulder if I want to do carnitas or some beef short ribs, or a pork tenderloin, etc depending on what my meal plan is for the week)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    every week: eggs, bacon, steak of some sort, avocados, cheese and coconut oil.

then I mix it up with baking stuff like almond flour, and stevia, and other things once a month or so.
  • bleusie
    bleusie Posts: 4
    Options
    all of the above - plus blackberries or blueberries - which ever is on sale. just a handful of either is enough to kill my sweet / fruit cravings (usually)!

this week i made a ground chicken, spinach, tomato and red pepper casserole with a creamy taco seasoned sauce. it is a little more calorie dense than I thought, so i'm thinking i might put it over some lettuce/salad greens to see if i can split the portion sizes a bit. or maybe it's thick enough i can use it as filling for a lettuce wrap. ah well, a work in progress! hah

i was just building my delivery for the upcoming week and I think i'm going to try out a keto friendly chicken parm for dinner. obvs - no pasta! but with some zucchini. i am feeling a little overdone with wilted baby spinach/chopped spinach - so i felt like i needed a vegetable with some substance!

as i live by myself and my bf is not doing keto (yet..), i am having trouble not over-buying! my freezer is SO full of meat right now. I need to just.. stop buying more. but i see it on sale and think of the possibilities - and then poof. first world problems.
  • sebringa
    sebringa Posts: 5
    Options
    every week: eggs, bacon, steak of some sort, avocados, cheese and coconut oil.

then I mix it up with baking stuff like almond flour, and stevia, and other things once a month or so.

Is almond flour available at places other than Kroger or some whole foods stores?
  • sebringa
    sebringa Posts: 5
    Options
    This week we picked up avocados, more eggs, breakfast meats, and chicken. We still have a bunch of tilapia, pork chops, and chicken in our freezer that we need to get through.
    I recently ordered some Atkins stuff from Amazon that I'm looking forward to! Specifically the baking stuff so I can have some mf pancakes again. Pretty excited about that one!
  • mocheetoe
    Options
    Pork rinds, avocados, eggs, heavy cream, cauliflower, zucchini, baby spinach, arugula, Boursin, cured meats (salami, prosciutto, etc.), various fancy cheeses, Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips (I eat a few every day for my chocolate fix).
  • bleusie
    bleusie Posts: 4
    Options
    re: the almond flour question - I have seen it at whole foods, but it's always sold out. always. same at shaw's! so i buy mine on amazon to ensure i have it. i've done the same with coconut flour and unsweetened coconut flakes.

i challenge anyone to find unsweetened coconut flakes in a store! or, you can just contact me if you need any. Apparently I bought 4 pounds of it, thinking i only bought 1. i have more coconut than any one girl could possibly eat.
  • floydgasm
    Options
    Dark chocolate (Ghiradelli 86% squares), chicken breasts, ground beef, cheese on cheese on cheese (okay, not that much cheese), and any veggies that look delicious!
  • marronmarvel
    marronmarvel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cheese, spinach, turkey bacon and sausage. Sometimes it's hard to do keto when you're kosher - no plates of delicious pork products for me! :( I am pretty busy, so I also buy the Tyson's pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts or strips, and original Boca burgers, which have 1g net carbs.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Is almond flour available at places other than Kroger or some whole foods stores?

sorry for the delay...
    I'm in canada, so we don't have those stores, but I can find it at bulk barn, and at other grocery stores as well.
  • BandB1979
    BandB1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Almond flour- If you have Bob's Red Mill brands they should have it.
  • dielikedisco
    Options
    I've found it at both Trader Joe's and Safeway. I heard somewhere that Wal-Mart carries it but I haven't been in one to check since I heard that.
  • Jennyflies
    Jennyflies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Heavy Cream
    Salami
    cream cheese
    spinach
    shiritake noodles
    sugar free jello
    yellow squash
    zuccini
    rasberries
    blackberries
    fiber one cottage cheese
    Atkins bars
  • vrichter82
    Options
    Very, VERY new to the Keto lifestyle....I've noticed a few of you talking about heavy cream. I, embarrassingly enough, can't/don't cook, so I have no idea how you're using that. I know my Grandma used to put it in some of her recipes. Are you using it to get more fat?
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Very, VERY new to the Keto lifestyle....I've noticed a few of you talking about heavy cream. I, embarrassingly enough, can't/don't cook, so I have no idea how you're using that. I know my Grandma used to put it in some of her recipes. Are you using it to get more fat?

Yeah heavy cream is good for getting more fat. I like to have some in my morning coffee, and it's great for veggies like creamed spinach. I use it a lot in baking too as a milk replacement.

Oh & almost forgot, love to whip up heavy whipping cream (which is what I buy) & add a little cocoa powder & cream cheese to it - it's like chocolate mousse & only takes a few minutes to make!

Edit: regular "milk" has carbs from the sugar/lactose in it & heavy cream has almost no carbs in small amounts.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I put it in my coffee and have also used it in fat bomb recipes and put it in my keto crepe. Made it yummy!