American Expats

Options
ColdKarmaGrl
ColdKarmaGrl Posts: 19 Member
Hello!!

I know this group is for people living in the UK, but from my experience (I've lived here for4 years now), there are loads of American Expats living in this wonderful country.

So I was wondering, who are you? Where are you from originally? What brought you to the UK? What are your health goals and did they slip once you moved over?

I moved for love. Married my husband 4 years ago. I in no way regret my move. Buuttt...I do regret putting all the weight on I lost before my husband and I got married....and then some.

I have made loads of great American Expat friends since moving to England, and I find their support, as well as my family and English friends, have really kept my spirits up. So I thought maybe a little community for us would be great on MFP?!

Replies

• Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! I am originally from Los Angeles, California and have lived here in Yorkshire for 13 years :) Add me!
  • Pwrpuff83
    Pwrpuff83 Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm originally from Arizona. Moved to London 8 years ago; currently living in Essex. I moved here for the same reason - to marry my Brit! We've now got two boys which is why we moved to where we are now. We weren't feeling London for family raising, but we both really miss it now! I put on LOADS of weight after my kids were born, so it was kinda just as they got bigger I found myself with time and the werewithal to give two cruds about myself and my health. I've never been a skinny minnie, but this is pretty close to the healthiest I think I've ever felt. I do miss the flat tummy I'm sure I had (and didn't appreciate) when I was 16!
  • ColdKarmaGrl
    Options
    You both look amazing! :)
  • Pwrpuff83
    Pwrpuff83 Posts: 92
    Options

Thank you! How are you getting on?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm am American currently living in Glasgow.

I'm from Portland, Oregon. Married a Weegie a few years back, so here I am.

I wouldn't say my health goals slipped since moving here, but I did have a period of "adjustment" that involved trying every biscuit and sweetie that was foreign to me. Those dark chocolate Tunnock's Tea Cakes in the blue printed wrappers really had me in a stranglehold for some time, but I'm over it now!

:drinker:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Originally from Kenya, then my family moved to San Francisco. I stayed on, they moved to England, I joined them after finishing at College ( Notre Dame), but lived in between the UK and the States ( Md) from work, until settling here permanently.

I couldn't function without my siblings and parents. I have lived in the UK off and on for about 20 years.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I was born in Florida and moved to Seattle, WA around 11 years old. I moved to London a couple years ago for love and university. We plan on heading to Seattle after I graduate. I've been overweight since puberty and moving here hasn't made a huge difference to my weight. I have recently jumped back into MFP and I'm taking up walking more (got a fitbit) and HIIT on my stationary bike. I want to get healthy habits I can keep for life, UK or USA.
  • tamarapeart
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm an American, from Philadelphia, who married an English artist and moved to Tamworth. I have battled with my weight my whole life. At one point I weighed over 300 Pounds / 21 Stone and lost 150 Pounds / 10 Stone. I'm 5'ft / 152cm I've gained a lot of weight back and am trying to lose 100 Pounds / 7 Stone, and keep it off this time. This is my first week back in MFP, feel free to add me as a friend. It would be especially nice to make friends with American expats as well ;)
  • tamarapeart
    Options
    How funny that I keep reading us American ladies all moving here for English men, they are quite charming. :)
  • ColdKarmaGrl
    Options

Thank you! How are you getting on?

Slowly, hon. Just about to reach the half stone loss mark, but was slowed down this week because my husband's family was here. They have gone home now, so can get back on track.

And I have battled my weight all my life as well, so I can understand, Tamaralynn. I hit my heaviest ever again so thought 'need to do something about this!' And yes, British men ARE delicious. :)