Other than MFP, what are you ladies doing to shape up?

Options
Bunniculette
Bunniculette Posts: 71 Member
I've come to the conclusion that MFP alone is not going to get me the results I'd like to see (in fact I've been feeling pretty discouraged!) I joined a gym this week and have resolved to get my butt there at least 3 times a week!

I'm curious what you ladies are doing to assist your weight loss.... Gym, workout videos, supplements and what's working for you.

(oh! and if anyone has any good suggestions for machines I should hit to work out my awful upper arms, please share!!)

Replies

• Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do cardio about 5-6 times a week. I mix it up - elliptical, running/walking intervals on the treadmill, a spin class once a week, another self biking session during the week. I do a minimum 30minutes a time, no more than 60 (except for last Tuesday when I did 95 minutes and was dead for the rest of the week!). I usually (but not always) do some combo of squats, push-ups, planks, sit-ups, etc for about 10-15 min on a cardio day as well.

I do strength training (with my personal trainer) 2x a week for 30minutes a session. I also hit an hour-long muscle work class once a week, though mostly only 2x a month instead of every week.

My rest days are typically complete rest days - no cardio, no strength.

Hope that helps!
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    I had a motorbike accident a few years ago and my knees can't take too much pressure ... I usually try to get in 5 days of Aqua aerobics a week and then Thai Chi twice a week. Ontop of that work is fairly active and when my students do fitness 3 times per week I'm usually power walking with them or running back and forth.

As for food I've joined "Lite n Easy" an Australian meal program. I a week's worth of food deleivered every Tuesday. It's the 1200 cal plan and I "eat my work out calories" by adding in yoghurt and not refusing the treats that always turn up at work. (I should be on 1800 cals per day but I have a Latte most days and the yoghurt so it adds up close to that).

Guess my main thing is being more active. THough the meal plan is great. I couldn't do it for two weeks when I had to travel and I really missed not having to count calories or stress out about what I should buy/eat.
  • Bunniculette
    Options
    My Goodness Katey!! How do you find the time, lol!!

Miss Aurora, Those meal plans do sound nice, sometimes I'm my worst enemy. I'm just so tired and something "good" to eat is more work to put together than something "bad" right out of the package. Oddly enough, I don't have any problems resisting treats at work (okay, usually,) i stick to my frozen entrees (cheap, easy and low calorie.) It's home where all the treats and snacks for the kids are staring me in the face that I have trouble!
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you have exercise classes at your gym? Ive found that the best thing I can possibly do to change my body shape and to tone my arms as much as I can is to do Body Pump. ive not done it for a few months now but Im getting back into it very soon (Ive been ill with vertigo so exercise hasnt been an option for me at the moment) I know I wont be able to walk for a few days after doing it, but it gets completely addictive, and it really does work!

How long have you got until your wedding?

x
  • bbtano
    bbtano Posts: 42
    Options
    I love Body Pump! I don't do very well working out on my own, push myself harder with an instructor inspiring me (if it's a good one!) So, I take classes as often as I can. Used to be 4 to 6 times per week, but work has been too crazy lately.

My favorite classes are Body Pump, Cycle, Body Combat and Aqua. I would love to work with a trainer, esp for a month or so before the wedding but it's not in the budget!

Tricep push-ups (if they're done correctly), tricep kick backs and tricep dips are great exercises for the back of the upper arm.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It might sound like a lot, but I only spend about an hour a day, plus travel time, so add 20minutes, give or take. And I feel SO much better about myself when I work out.
  • Wishusdonna
    Wishusdonna Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've only got 2 weeks, 5 days to go.

Things are getting serious! As well as MFP, I am learning to dance, at least 1 hour a week. That's pretty expensive, so everything else has to be done on the mega cheap.

I am 30 day shredding. It's like old PE lessons, but very effective. Before I did that, it was aerobics videos with either Rosemary Conley or Davina McCall 3 times a week.

I haven't been to Parkrun for weeks, but I've managed to do 7 with a PB of 30 minutes, 52 seconds.

I'm also signed up on Swimfit and go swimming once every 10 days.

I climb the stairs at work every day (3 floors) walk to the next bus stop in town and don't get the bus home from town centre - I walk the mile there and back each day. I figure every little helps - including using the broom round the kitchen instead of the vacuum cleaner.

To be honest, though the shred workout is quite intensive, I don't think it really occurred to me that I actually needed quite a bit of exercise to feel stronger and healthier, so I'm definitely keeping up after my big day and will fit in more country walks and some long cycle rides, which I just don't have the time for right now.
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    Wow Wishudonna ... not long to go now!! How exciting/scary!!

And you're right ... the wedding should only be a goal along the way for us all.

I want to keep going after the wedding ... if I haven't already reached my ideal weight ... but exercise is so important I'll keep being active as long as I can.
  • Bunniculette
    Options
    Laura, your post made me pick up a class schedule thing at the gym today. I think I might make an appointment with a trainer just to get some direction with a routine to target my problem areas.

Wow, Donna... two weeks!! that IS exciting! seems as though you're the first of us to go down the aisle, I can't wait to see some pictures!

and ladies, what IS Body Pump? I've never even heard of it before?
  • bbtano
    Options
    Body Pump is a barbell workout created by Les Mills.

http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodypump/about-bodypump/
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba and ballet a few times a week. If I don't sign up for classes ahead of time, I just won't go. That's why I can't do it on my own at home. Lazy bum.
  • carom915
    carom915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I'm doing the 30 day shred currently. I have 13 months until my wedding so I'm really hoping for some good results between now and then. I honestly want to completely change my body. I've seen people do it on MFP before so I think its doable. My knee is a little iffy but I purchased an elliptical machine off craigslist and its great.

After the shred I will be doing ripped in 30 and then MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE insanity. My problem is my knee. If my knee acts up I will do the elliptical and lifting videos that only focus on strength - no real cardio. Any suggestions? How is body pump for that?

I want to go wedding dress shopping in August so we will see. Hoping to be a good 20lbs down by then.
  • bbtano
    Options
    I have a lot of knee pain and the Dr (and a trainer I had for awhile) both said cycle and swimming are the best exercises for people who deal with knee issues because they have less impact than the other exercises. A friend of mine started swimming laps regularly and the weight just melted off for her. She was also eating healthy, of course, but it's a great cardio workout.
  • carom915
    carom915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of knee pain and the Dr (and a trainer I had for awhile) both said cycle and swimming are the best exercises for people who deal with knee issues because they have less impact than the other exercises. A friend of mine started swimming laps regularly and the weight just melted off for her. She was also eating healthy, of course, but it's a great cardio workout.

I started swimming a few years ago because I had sme stress fractures from attempting C25k... and you know what? MY SHOULDER DEVELOPED TENDONITIS! No joke... it was an old tennis injury from college, but swimming made it flare right up. I'm so broken. Lol. This is why the elliptical and I need to learn to be good friends.
  • sweatydebs416
    Options
    I just finished 30 day shred and lost some inches, but not a lot of pounds, so now I am looking into a P90X and Insanity hybrid program to balance the weight training and cardio. I prefer to workout in my home then a gym and P90X is what worked for me in the past before I slipped, so I think that adding Insanity to it will be interesting!
  • bioheil
    bioheil Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I now feel fully committed to my weight loss goal. I recently joined MRC mostly for the accountability aspect of going to weigh in 2x a week. I am also working out about 4 times a week and one of those is with a personal trainer. I already feel pretty goods but hoping to see some amazing results. I have about 8 months. My plan is to do a budiour photo shoot for my fiancé as a wedding gift.
  • Bunniculette
    Options
    O0o0o0o, I bet he will love that!! I looked into them myself and read a whole bunch of really exciting articles about DIYing it (if you're interested in trying!)