Advice wanted on very occasional pumping...

Options
I work from home, so I am mostly feeding my baby on demand but have recently started to go into the office one morning per week. I never get much from a session (2-3 ounces after 20 minutes, usually) unless I'm pumping after missing a feeding (3-4 ounces then) but my diligence has paid off and I now have 30+ ounces in the freezer. This is enough to last me a long while, since she only had 5-6 ounces at a time and I always pump if I miss a feeding.

Now I am sort of wondering if I should stop pumping each day, only pumping if I miss a feeding, and let my supply go back to normal until I need to build another stash, or if I should continue to pump daily, knowing that most of the stash will not end up being used. I can tell I've ramped my supply up because my boobs feel uncomfortably full if I don't pump at least once and I really hate pumping. What would you do?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I had a rough time with my first go-round and am on here for tips so that I am successful this time (I am 32 weeks pregnant today), so I can't speak to your question directly. However, a good frozen stash can actually be very useful, even if you're not feeding your baby with a bottle. When your baby starts eating solids, you can use breast milk as a "mixer." For example, baby oatmeal, which has tons of iron, should be made with either breast milk or formula.
  • nattymommy33
    Options
    I hope the second time is successful for you! My baby is actually 9 months old and we skipped spoon feeding and went right for finger foods. Yesterday, I skipped pumping because it was so busy and I leaked though my dress top during a random diapering because I was so full but I didn't pump for the rest of the day and I think I am going to skip it for now. I'm going to work with my stash and pump when I miss a feeding but for now, I think I'll drop the extra pumping sessions.

Congrats on your coming baby!!! How far apart will #1 and #2 be? I want to wait until I've lost 30 more pounds to get pregnant again and I'm hoping to have 6 months off of both breastfeeding and pregnancy, but we'll see!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I hope the second time is successful for you! My baby is actually 9 months old and we skipped spoon feeding and went right for finger foods. Yesterday, I skipped pumping because it was so busy and I leaked though my dress top during a random diapering because I was so full but I didn't pump for the rest of the day and I think I am going to skip it for now. I'm going to work with my stash and pump when I miss a feeding but for now, I think I'll drop the extra pumping sessions.

Congrats on your coming baby!!! How far apart will #1 and #2 be? I want to wait until I've lost 30 more pounds to get pregnant again and I'm hoping to have 6 months off of both breastfeeding and pregnancy, but we'll see!

Thanks! I'm hoping for a better experience the second time around. Lots of crying, guilt, etc., the first time! They will be two years and four months (roughly) apart. I started MFP about two months postpartum last time and lost 82 lbs in a year. Then when my son was about a year and a half we started TTC again. It was hard to face potentially "undoing" all the work I did, but that's how it goes! I can't wait to jump back in this time around, and we plan for this to be our last baby :)
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience - I would definitely keep pumping. I'm in the same situation. I work from home and my son is 10 months - once he started really eating solids at around 7.5 months, he started refusing a bottle (not that he got many bottles anyway). I stopped pumping and now I'm having a hard time starting back up again.

I would keep pumping on your regular schedule & freezing the milk. You never know when you might need it! You can use it as a mix-in with solids (my son likes breastmilk mixed with mashed up banana or oatmeal).
  • Amypascoe
    Amypascoe Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree. I would keep pumping. If you don't use it you can always donate it! :-)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I agree. I would keep pumping. If you don't use it you can always donate it! :-)

Good point! I was talking to the lactation consultant about that last time (we were making small talk while my baby attempted to nurse), and she said that if you have enough (like 100 oz. or more) that milk banks can use it. They'll send you everything you need, too!
  • nattymommy33
    Options
    I would love to be a donor but I've dropped pumping for now. Working from home full time while also being the full time caregiver for my babe means I am stretched to the limit! I stopped pumping on Saturday and my boobs are finally feeling normal again today (Wednesday.) I'm sure I'll have to build a stash again in the future but hopefully it will be during a less crazy time. I'm also hopeful a few of her nursing sessions will change to snack times!
  • dunkt10
    dunkt10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I respect your decision to stop pumping because of your busy schedule but if you can I would say try to pump at least once a day. You never know what situation may occur in the future when you may need that extra milk. I bf'd twins until they were 1 and boy was that hard. Towards the end I started having to supplement because I ran out of my stash. One of my twins is lactose intolerant and for a while I had to continue to pump milk and give it to her because I couldn't afford to buy cow's milk (for my boy twin and for the house use) and soy milk (for the girl twin). But good luck with everything and I hope that nothing unexpected comes up. :-)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I do not really see the point of pumping regurlarly if you are going to stay home for a while, and only need it occasionally.
    I BF my baby on demand , and here and there I need to leave her for hubby for a few hrs maybe once a week Or once every two weeks. The day before the event , I pump after every feeding. I do not even bother with the pump, I just manually pump with my hand right into the bottle.. Because of my lazy method, I only can pump about 1 oz each time. Since I feed my baby about 6 times a day, it ads up to 6+ oz, which is sufficient for one feeding. Breastmilk is good in the fridge for 2-3 days, so I do not even bother freezing it. .

4 yrs ago with my son, I pumped a little bit more and freezed it, but I ended up throwing it out later. It goes bad after 2-3 months even in the freezer!

Pumping is a Great tool for women who has to go back to work early or if they can not feed their babies directly from the boobs for any reason.
    However, pumping just for the sake of maybe one point I **** might**** need it is wasting your time and easily mess up the whole demand supply balance.

If you pump , you are sending a message to your body that more milk is needed,, and more will be produced. More milk leads to fuller boobs, which is uncomfortable, so you end up pumping it out again. Since you pumping , your body is getting the message to produce more milk again.. Where is going to end? Usually breast engorgement and mastitis, and that is where many women end up giving up BFing and switching to formula...

I ended up BFing for 2 years with my last baby despite the fact that I went back to work part time when he was 10 months old.
    After they eat solid they are ok away from you a half day. You BF them when you are there, and they get the puréed food when you are not there.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    HI, I haven't had time to read this whole thread so I appoligise if I am repeating other posts ...

definitely KEEP PUMPING! You pump if you want to have milk at that time of day when you are with your baby so for example if you usually BF at 10am, you need to pump at 10am when you are not with baby if you want to have milk at that time the next day.

Also, my sister was giving her babies breastmilk in a sippy cup after they finished breastfeeding, it is liquid gold... you can not have enough!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

4 yrs ago with my son, I pumped a little bit more and freezed it, but I ended up throwing it out later. It goes bad after 2-3 months even in the freezer!

It lasts 12 months in a deep freese and 9 months in a regular freezer. tthe lactation onsultant I used said unless it smells/tastes bad don't throw it away.
  • Annahasababy
    Annahasababy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate pumping so I don't pump regularly.

I only pump once a week and make about 3-6 oz.... Enough to let me work out of the house a few mornings a week.

When I don't pump regularly like this I feel more in sync w my baby. I never leak or feel discomfort and always know when she's hungry.

I have NO milk stashed in the freezer. Call me nuts but I just hate to pump.

I breastfed till age three years, and have no problem breastfeeding my babies that long so I have no need to really freeze for the future.