Breast Augmentation after having a baby

Options
Has anyone had this done or considering it (breast augmentation)? I am really considering it, already been to consultations but I am looking for feedback. I just want a natural fullness back not looking for anything crazy! After breastfeeding I was left with not much more than skin, I have been contemplating this since well before I had my daughter too. My husband has given me his blessing.

Replies

• lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I never though about implants before (I just always thought it wasn't for me and was something other people did). Now that I've had a baby and breastfed for a year, I'm reconsidering. I don't like the way I look anymore and I know once my son is weaned, it will get worse! Once I'm done having kids, I think I would at least have a consultation and consider my options!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    If you had asked me two years ago if I would ever have considered breast augmentation, I'd have told you I'd consider a lift but never implants.

After having a baby, I got on a healthy track with MFP. My sister had had her second (and last) baby shortly before I had my first and did the same - it just so happened that our "motivation switches" got turned on simultaneously - so we lost weight together. I was losing the insane amount I had gained during pregnancy (and then a lot more), and she was losing what she had carried for years. Now don't get me wrong; she and I don't go walking around naked around each other, but as we were losing weight, we often would buy clothes, try them on in each other's presence, borrow them from each other, etc. I saw how miserable she was with the way her body had "deflated." Not only did she have a ton of loose skin on her belly, but her boobs were completely gone. Mine were bad, but hers were worse. We used to joke about how we could fold our boobs into our bras.

A few months ago she decided to look into plastic surgery. A friend of ours is married to a plastic surgeon, and our OB/Gyn (we go to the same doctor) had a tummy tuck a few years back (she's got four kids) and talks openly about it. Between them, my sister figured out who was the best doctor for her, and she considered having breast augmentation. I knew that for her a lift would do nothing, so we were talking implants.

Oddly enough, the plastic surgeon convinced her that she actually should go bigger than she thought she should in order for it to look natural, and now that some time has passed since her surgery, I can see that he was right. I picked her up and took care of her immediately after surgery (until her husband could get home), so I saw the "ugly" side of recovery, and it really wasn't that bad. She says she has no regrets, and a couple of her friends who know about the surgery have joked that she has the most natural-looking fake boobs they've ever seen (not that they've seen them bare). She used to be a DD, she deflated down to probably less than an A (due to all the skin, etc., I think she was wearing a D bra), and the implants made her a C. I haven't seen them uncovered, but she looks awesome in her clothes, and she has gained SO much confidence! And the size they used makes sense on her body; they don't look too small, nor does she look like she is going to tip over.

It prompted a discussion between me and my husband about it, but since I'm nearly due with baby #2 (which we plan to be our last baby), I'm very full right now (wearing a DD instead of a D). Of course with nursing and then getting back to pre-pregnancy weight and hopefully a little more, I'm sure they'll be sad again, to the point where a lift isn't going to cut it (no pun intended). Basically my husband left it entirely up to me, saying that if it was something that would make me feel better, he was certainly not going to discourage me from doing it. The only thing is that I need to get down to my ideal weight before I do it, so that will take some time and some thinking, plus saving up the money, but I plan on at least looking into it.

Honestly, I used to think that breast implants were a vanity thing, but I think they can be a great confidence-booster!
  • runningfor2
    Options
    Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! I'm still not 100%... I do have a surgery scheduled for the end of May but it can be cancelled or post-poned. I really thought I was 100% but now I am second guessing... ugh! Did your sister get Saline or Silicone?
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have really considered this it just seems like over the years and pregnancies mine are slowly making their way south. My husband says they are fine which is nice of him, but I am uncomfortable. Implants probably won't be right for me since I am naturally large chested but I would love a lift just so everything is pointing in the right directions again. I also would want to get down to my ideal weight again before doing this. From women that I have spoken to who have had the implants done they went for saline over the silicone and are very happy and they are very natural looking (yes a few I know love to show them off). Not that I want to be able to go around topless I think I would just feel better about myself. Whats the point in losing all this weight just to see that my boobs are getting closer and closer to my waistline.
  • runningfor2
    Options
    Bahahahaha! I'm just feeling a little selfish for wanting to spend that much money on myself in pure vanity (which I suppose is also my self confidence). My husband says he is okay with it and is supportive. I DID have our baby... I'm so torn! I want them, then I get scared! I better make up my mind before my surgery date!
  • GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    YES- me please! I was never that large to begin with but after all the weight gain/loss and bf''g (even though they say bf'g has nothing to do with deflation, I think it does!), my boobs are soo deflated! I always told my hubby I would get a boob job even before we had our son and he was totally against it but now he sees how unhappy I am and is all for it. I have a couple friends that have done the "mommy makeover"- implants, lift, tummy tuck, and some lipo and they are thrilled with the results. I could care less about my tummy and stretch marks but I cannot wait to get some boobs back! I was hesitant at first too because of the money but you know what, if it will make you happy- you deserve it and should do it! I am waiting until we decide if we will have one more baby before I take the plunge but I am looking forward to that day. Good luck to you & keep us posted! :wink:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Don't feel selfish! If it will make you happy it will make for a happier home life in general. I might look into it too once I'm done having kids.
  • egriffith3
    Options
    I got impants in December of '02. When I was 7 weeks prego with my first the left one popped. I had to wait until after I had my son to get it fixed. 6 months after he was born I had them re-done. I wouldn't change it for the world. I just had my daugther and everything went well other than I now have stretch marks because I got HUGE with her. Just something to think about.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! I'm still not 100%... I do have a surgery scheduled for the end of May but it can be cancelled or post-poned. I really thought I was 100% but now I am second guessing... ugh! Did your sister get Saline or Silicone?

She got silicone. I know silicone was banned for a while, but what has come out now is much improved over the old, "bad" ones, and it feels more natural than saline, supposedly. She's 2+ months post-op and told me how she can't believe she questioned whether or not she should do it. (They called her on Jan 31st and said that they could do her surgery in 2 weeks, so she scheduled it but was like you, wondering if she should cancel or postpone. I think we had a 2-hour phone conversation about it, and I can't imagine how much she talked it over with her husband.)
  • RBXChas
    Options

Also, it is surgery, so second-guessing is totally normal, especially since it's elective. I joked with my sister that I second-guessed having LASIK done, which is obviously way less intrusive than breast implants, but I'm so glad I did it and have had zero regrets.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    YES- me please! I was never that large to begin with but after all the weight gain/loss and bf''g (even though they say bf'g has nothing to do with deflation, I think it does!), my boobs are soo deflated! I always told my hubby I would get a boob job even before we had our son and he was totally against it but now he sees how unhappy I am and is all for it. I have a couple friends that have done the "mommy makeover"- implants, lift, tummy tuck, and some lipo and they are thrilled with the results. I could care less about my tummy and stretch marks but I cannot wait to get some boobs back! I was hesitant at first too because of the money but you know what, if it will make you happy- you deserve it and should do it! I am waiting until we decide if we will have one more baby before I take the plunge but I am looking forward to that day. Good luck to you & keep us posted! :wink:

My sister had implants (as I mentioned above - I understand if it was TL;DR), and she did have a consultation for a lower body lift. She actually considered doing both at once (the savings was something like $800 because of anesthesia fees, etc.), but she had heard that it was a mega rough recovery to do both at once. So she opted for the boobs, since that was more important to her, and she will consider doing the rest later.

My belly is a little sad after one baby, even after losing a bunch of weight, but I don't know what it would have looked like if I'd hit goal. Plus it may be totally different after this baby (I'm 34.5 weeks). Assuming everything is the same as the first time around, a tummy tuck/lift/whatever probably isn't necessary for me.

But the boobs, yes, chances are I will be considering that once I am done breastfeeding/pumping.
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've always been large chested. I'm currently nursing baby#2 and we aren't sure if we're done having kids. Once we've decided, I'm going to look into my surgery options for my boobs. Not sure if that means a lift, implants, or nothing, but I'm definitely open to it all (including doing nothing surgical).

Keep us posted - I'm interested in what you choose to do. Good luck! You deserve to feel awesome Momma!
  • runningfor2
    Options
    Thank you all for being so encouraging! It’s really nice to read all of your thoughts and experiences. I called my plastic surgeon's office today and spoke to my nurse for about 15min regarding my concerns. She was so sweet and took the time to educate me even more. She said to call her anytime. It really helps when they are willing to support their patients. I don't think I've ever received this kind of support from my regular doctor or nurse! My surgeon also guarantees his work and I would get a warranty with the implant itself. With all this being said, I'm starting to feel better about the surgery and not as scared.
    As of right now my next appointment is on May 16th, and my surgery is still scheduled for May 28th.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Thank you all for being so encouraging! It’s really nice to read all of your thoughts and experiences. I called my plastic surgeon's office today and spoke to my nurse for about 15min regarding my concerns. She was so sweet and took the time to educate me even more. She said to call her anytime. It really helps when they are willing to support their patients. I don't think I've ever received this kind of support from my regular doctor or nurse! My surgeon also guarantees his work and I would get a warranty with the implant itself. With all this being said, I'm starting to feel better about the surgery and not as scared.
    As of right now my next appointment is on May 16th, and my surgery is still scheduled for May 28th.

Do it! I just saw my sister last night and was marveling (not in a weird way, I promise) at how awesome her boobs look (in her shirt, not naked) :laugh: