Week 1 focus- ditch the diet mentality

Options
mommamuscles
mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
“Throw out the diet books and magazine articles that offer you the false hope of losing weight quickly, easily, and permanently. Get angry at the lies that have led you to feel as if you were a failure every time a new diet stopped working and you gained back all of the weight. If you allow even one small hope to linger that a new and better diet might be lurking around the corner, it will prevent you from being free to rediscover Intuitive Eating.”

Excerpt From: Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch. “Intuitive Eating, 2nd Edition.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright

I know a lot of us have come a long way in throwing this out, but Iwonder if there are not remnants left of this?

When I first started this crazy journey, I began clean eating and I was religious about it. Not even the tiniest bit of anything that wasn't on plan. I could not even eat out with my family. I would go and drink water and then make my own food when I got home later.
I think offen times what begins as desire for health or to remedy some kind of ailment (digestive issues for one) turns into an obsession with food or a dogmatic attitude towards a certain way of eating that is unhealthy. Things like clean eating, gluten free, paleo, etc. come to mind. It's not the specific approach to eating that causes this, but deep down we are looking at this diet to solve problems that it can not and we desperately do not want to fail the diet. I think a lot of times we use these "eating approaches" to hang on to the diet mentality even though it is masked as something else.
I am not meaning to say that if you have a legitimate medical issue that requires you to stay Away from a certain food that you should eat it. But I think a lot of times people use these "ailments" as a cover for disordered eating. I don't know if any of you struggle with this. Would love to hear your thoughts below!
I've pretty much abandoned the idea of "clean" eating. I'm not as dogmatic about it, but yet I still do choose whole unprocessed foods as much as possible. Doing so has helped me somewhat to prevent that "last supper eating" but I recognize I still have a long way to go. I'm more flexible now. I can go out to eat, eat cake at my kids' birthdays, etc. in recent months I've stopped viewing these occasions as cheat days. They are just all part of a healthy, normal lifestyle. Even eating too much on occasion is part of a healthy, normal lifestyle.
Keep in mind that unless you have an an actual medical issue, you should not be eliminating foods or food groups from your diet. Doing so is probably perpetuating the diet mentality.

Replies

• LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is good...I've been a yo-yo dieter since probably 2005. It was the very first time I realized that my weight was spiraling out of control. I was 245 at the time. I did weight watchers, lost 30lbs, got pregnant and the rest is a sad story of trying this diet, trying that diet. I realized after having kids, that I had become a "closet" eater. I sneak snacks. I wait until the kids are asleep and I cook 3 cookies and have it with ice cream. The tiny cups. I thought I was OK, because it was a small portion. But then I couldn't finish my day without having my "desert". I'd become a habit. I've recently starting the "clean" eating but realized I still wanted my cookies, ice cream and cake too! So that was short lived. Just the beginning of this year, I read a book that stated you should only eat when you feel hunger pangs and stop when you don't feel them anymore. She advocated, feel your plate and then purposely eat only half of what you put on there. Get a burger and fries, but only eat half. For a minute I was on board, but then that was also short lived.

Just today, I read someone's post who a couple of weeks ago, was set for eating for a lifestyle, but resulted back to cutting calories.. I was almost tempted to consider my calories in hope of losing some weight, but quickly squashed it.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Eating is a lifelong process. We will always be eating. I want to "eat clean" more than I do, but then I would probably be miserable to not enjoy that DQ treat with my family, or the yummy bread and butter before a meal at a restaurant. I feel the need to do all things in moderation. My issue comes when I not only eat my DQ treat, but the leftovers that my kids couldn't finish! And when I have many servings of ice cream rather than just enjoying one (or two!). I need to remember that I can always have more of the treat I like another day! That I don't have to each as much of it as I can (until I feel sick and/or guilty) thinking it is the only time I get to eat it. There will always be more available for another time, even if I have to go back to the store and get more because my kids finished it off!
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    Eating is a lifelong process. We will always be eating. I want to "eat clean" more than I do, but then I would probably be miserable to not enjoy that DQ treat with my family, or the yummy bread and butter before a meal at a restaurant. I feel the need to do all things in moderation. My issue comes when I not only eat my DQ treat, but the leftovers that my kids couldn't finish! And when I have many servings of ice cream rather than just enjoying one (or two!). I need to remember that I can always have more of the treat I like another day! That I don't have to each as much of it as I can (until I feel sick and/or guilty) thinking it is the only time I get to eat it. There will always be more available for another time, even if I have to go back to the store and get more because my kids finished it off!
    Yes.
  • Evelynandchris
    Evelynandchris Posts: 140 Member
    Options

^^^this!
  • My biggest issues started when I joined crossfit (of which I'm no longer a member). Before crossfit I was counting calories but still eating as I liked just with a little more common sense and moderation. Then crossfit came along and I felt this huge pressure to be someone I'm not. I felt that the only way I would ever succeed and see results would be as a paleo/primal eater. Except I'm so picky there wouldn't be anything I would eat so I was conflicted. So with that I sought out IIFYM and basically used that as an excuse to eat what I wanted. I never did calculate the macros, so obviously that wasn't successful. So now I have given up all of it except trying to maintain a small deficit based on my fitbit data. Unfortunately I am also an emotional eater and with our recent death in the family and my dad having surgery this week I have been shoving sugary things down my pie hole. So... That is me in a nutshell. I just bought the book and I'm excited to actually read this one and hopefully make some progress.
    Jenn
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have not lost any weight in months! And if I'm really honest with myself, I can say that I haven't lost in over a year! I CAN say that I've maintained the 35+ pound loss from my heaviest ever weight. While I consider my age and slower metabolism, I believe that it is because I haven't really given up eating anything. The problem occurs when I overeat those things that do not fall into my notion of "healthiest" nutrition. But I'm working on it. I, too, have to learn how to stop and realize that I can have more of a certain thing another time.

About a month ago I felt so desperate to lose some pounds that I seriously considered the Shred Diet. I even bought the book! A lot of people are having success on this diet, so I don't knock it. But I don't eat like that, and I know that I won't eat like that for the rest of my life (or even 6 weeks), so it won't work for me. Actually, restrictions have an adverse effect on me, thus leading to the vicious cycle of overeating, guilt and depression. I'm at a point now where I want to maintain a regular exercise regime and eat as well as I can, when I can, taking it one day at a time. I don't know how long it will take for me to put together the perfect combination to get down to size 10, if ever. But I'm learning. And I feel good! And I believe that I will improve in those areas that are currently most challenging.

Writing this has been somewhat therapeutic!
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    I have not lost any weight in months! And if I'm really honest with myself, I can say that I haven't lost in over a year! I CAN say that I've maintained the 35+ pound loss from my heaviest ever weight. While I consider my age and slower metabolism, I believe that it is because I haven't really given up eating anything. The problem occurs when I overeat those things that do not fall into my notion of "healthiest" nutrition. But I'm working on it. I, too, have to learn how to stop and realize that I can have more of a certain thing another time.

About a month ago I felt so desperate to lose some pounds that I seriously considered the Shred Diet. I even bought the book! A lot of people are having success on this diet, so I don't knock it. But I don't eat like that, and I know that I won't eat like that for the rest of my life (or even 6 weeks), so it won't work for me. Actually, restrictions have an adverse effect on me, thus leading to the vicious cycle of overeating, guilt and depression. I'm at a point now where I want to maintain a regular exercise regime and eat as well as I can, when I can, taking it one day at a time. I don't know how long it will take for me to put together the perfect combination to get down to size 10, if ever. But I'm learning. And I feel good! And I believe that I will improve in those areas that are currently most challenging.

Writing this has been somewhat therapeutic!

I love this. It can be very therapeutic indeed to focus on being healthy, and being fit as opposed to make our bodies fit into a certain mold.
    I am, by no stretch of the imagination, at my goal weight/physique/whatever. However, I got really fed up with all this about 6 months ago and just decided I was going to eat to fuel my body, maintain an active lifestyle and let whatever happens happen. I know that I am healthy and fit. So even if I dont fit into a certain mold, weigh a certain number, or whatever, I am striving to be MY personal best. I still struggle from time to time, but keep going back to this.
  • Momwa6
    Momwa6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yoyo dieter to the mas weight watchers, atkins, paleo prima,l the food lovers fat loss system, slimfast, fasting, name it i did it.I get so cranky when a occasion comes about and i feel like pressure is on me when everyone is eating and i got fruit on my plate like as if i came to the buffet just for fruit lol.These past days ive been just eating what i want but not in excess i hope but reasonable portion.I can remember when i was a kid i would exercise and do aerobics at home and my mom would be like why are you working out i would say cause i got to lose weight.In high school before my senior prom i went on a fruit diet to fit into m dress it work i walk to and home from school ate nothing but fruit all day and i fit in that dress but afterwards weight came back on.The women in my family were full figure but to me i label it as fat and nasty why i don't know i guess cause all i know is skinny .