I think I've finally figured it out (sadly!)

Options
Judas_Queen
Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
I've been having trouble with my tummy for about 7 weeks now, coincidentally I'm at week 6 of SL.

I was cutting foods out that I thought triggered this becuase it was happening either every day or most days.

First i cut out chocolate, but that made no difference.

Then i stopped having my protein shakes thinking that the combination of whey and milk didn't like me.. i think i may have a mild sensitivity to dairy (having never really eaten it in my life - properly anyway!) Maybe the slightest improvement at first but nothing really changed and this was 3-4 weeks ago now.

Then I thought it might be all the fruit/veg - but I wasnt about to cut that out so i jsut tracked which I and it made no difference.

So i have come to the conclusion that it was my ever increasing protein intake.

My body actually doesnt respond well to too much meat anyway and I've been known to be physically sick from eating too muhc. Also, I can pretty much take or leave it taste wise.

So i've had to rejig my macros and I've also put down by cals by 200 a day just to see if maybe it was because my body wasnt used to eating so much each day, I don't know.

I'm gonna see how I go but over this past weekend and today I've felt much better having moderate amounts of protein and yummy carbs which makes me very happy.

Probably going to go back to having my shakes but use almond milk instead just to up my numbers because I'm not going to be eating so much meat in the day time any more!

Quite upsetting really becuase I was getting into the swing of eating such and such a food and tracking my protein, but i've put it down to 140 a day and i'm going to aim for 125-130. (original aim was above 160 as i'm quite a big girl and all calculations said so...)

We shall see!

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Whey is really, really hard to digest (dairy proteins are HUGE compared to other proteins). Do you have access to pea protein? It is super easy to digest, and just as protein packed. It could be that the whey was setting your body up to rebel against everything else. I have also found that unless I increase my veggie intake alongside my meat intake, my tummy gets a little upset. Hopefully you'll be able to do just a few tweaks to get everything sorted!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    that seems like a huge amount of protein too, I have mine set to 150g but am happy to hit 100! maybe drop yours back down and work up in smaller increments, thus finding where your body is happy?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I shoot for anywhere between 100 and 150. Which gives me an average of about 125 and that's about right for me anyway.

I'm really beginning to think more in terms of ranges rather than a set number for everything. Gives me the flexibility that I'm looking for and my body seems to do quite well with it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    you should be ok at the lower ranges -- something that doesn't get discussed much (because many of the personal trainers and fitness gurus out there forget that someone who wants to lose 20 lbs is a very different animal from somone who wants to lose 70 lbs) is that someone who has a lot of fat to lose also has a LOT of leeway - its not that you can't do ANYTHING wrong, but your body is a lot more forgiving of dieting at this point. Its easier to lose fat, your body will prioritize fat loss (because that's what it has more of), and so on.

So yeah. Dropping your protein should be more than fine. Decent amounts of protein + resistance training for now is fine.
  • Judas_Queen
    Options
    you should be ok at the lower ranges -- something that doesn't get discussed much (because many of the personal trainers and fitness gurus out there forget that someone who wants to lose 20 lbs is a very different animal from somone who wants to lose 70 lbs) is that someone who has a lot of fat to lose also has a LOT of leeway - its not that you can't do ANYTHING wrong, but your body is a lot more forgiving of dieting at this point. Its easier to lose fat, your body will prioritize fat loss (because that's what it has more of), and so on.

So yeah. Dropping your protein should be more than fine. Decent amounts of protein + resistance training for now is fine.

Ive always had problems eating too much meat (from just not being able to eat very much to actually gagging while eatingnit. I dont dislike meat, I love it but my body isnt so interested.

I'm going to eithee use up my whey or give it to my bf and dad as they go through loads.

I have got a lot to lose.. I weigh 220 lbs and my bf is between 34-38% so i appreciate your input on this as everyone makes it out that high protein is the be all and end all. I know for now at least that I can be a little less stringent on my numbers re protein etc but im gonna aim for 125+

@kirabob- I have looked at pea and hemp proteins and may revisit as it does appeal to me. Ive not got a particularly sensitive stomach I.e. foods dont generally ulset my stomach so just the last month so has been a nightmare!

Thanks guys for your help
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a direct analogy - but my daughter is sensitive to the large proteins in dairy (and soy, incidentally). It meant that I had to cut dairy and soy out completely while she was nursing - so I went two years without, and when I started adding back in (after she weaned herself), I could tell VERY quickly when I'd had too much. So now I keep it to 1-2 servings a day, but no more. Taking a break from the whey (and maybe all other dairy) for a month, then slowly adding it in, will tell you if your body just can't handle it. And I agree with all the other folks - no need to go crazy on the protein!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I don't do well on a lot of protein either. There was a period of time when I was aiming for 150+g/day. Now I've reduced my goal to anywhere between 100-130g/day and my body is responding WAY better.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You should be fine with 1 g per lbs of lean body mass. For me it's 110g.
    I used to eat 50-60 g per day and having 90g felt like impossible, and made me feel sick, but I got used to.
    Then I was upping 10 g every 2 weeks, now I have no problem eating 150g (but my goal is still 110).
    It does not have to be all meat. Have protein shakes, greek yogurt, beans, cheese.
    I used to get sick if I had more then 8 oz of chicken breast and I had to have carbs with every meal, now I can have 12 oz of chicken with veggies and I'm good.
  • Judas_Queen
    Options
    I know it's not a direct analogy - but my daughter is sensitive to the large proteins in dairy (and soy, incidentally). It meant that I had to cut dairy and soy out completely while she was nursing - so I went two years without, and when I started adding back in (after she weaned herself), I could tell VERY quickly when I'd had too much. So now I keep it to 1-2 servings a day, but no more. Taking a break from the whey (and maybe all other dairy) for a month, then slowly adding it in, will tell you if your body just can't handle it. And I agree with all the other folks - no need to go crazy on the protein!

I think this will be my next thing if I dont improve anymore. I've been Ok for a few days now having decreased my overall protein. Can't be sure that the whole problem is just dairy becuase as i said I don't really eat any and I havent had any whey for 4 weeks now. I actually had creme fraiche for 2 days this week and no adverse effects yet, but we'll see!

@Martucha - my lbm is 140lb so that is 140g which is what i've set it at now. I think if i can hit 120-130 i will be happy, and work at increasing on lifting days.

As i said above it isn't just meat, but that's were i get most from because (a) i really am not a fan of dairy, never have been and (b) when i have whey and milk and greek yoghurt etc i do get gassy and nauseous.

@Vegas- I think personally i will respond better to less protein, and it means that I don't have to suffer through copious amounts of ground turkey and chicken which suits me :)