New Zelda Game!!!!

Options
CYzFCL0.jpg
"New Zelda game releasing in 2013. Like Link to the Past, but with 3D visuals and new dungeons."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/17/4234398/the-legend-of-zelda-link-to-the-past-sequel-coming-to-nintendo-3ds

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    No joke, I'm going to ask for this for Christmas! GAHHHH SO EXCITED!
  • jstur14
    jstur14 Posts: 30
    Options
    That and Earthbound are my most excited from the announcements :)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Already pre-ordered. Meaning money has been set aside in my games account for it. It would be very sweet if there was some kid of pre-order bonus like being able to download A Link to the Past for free or something.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    On the damndamndamn 3DS though? Really?

Those things give me a headache. T_T
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You don't have to turn the 3D on. I played Fire Emblem with the 3D off 99% of the time. I think it extends the battery life a bit too.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    A Link to the Past was my first SNES game besides Mario World. So good!

Yes, turn the 3d off if you can't stand it. I like the 3D but play without it most of the time.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It is good to see Zelda is take a step back toward it's roots. I would have preferred and entirely new game in the link to the past style but this is still nice.
  • jmmcs
    jmmcs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've only played Link to the Past around 18000 times, but I'm not sure if I want the new game or not
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look that good to me, the 3D models are just ugly. But I'm sure it'll be a good game, I've just never been a big fan of the series.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    It doesn't look that good to me, the 3D models are just ugly. But I'm sure it'll be a good game, I've just never been a big fan of the series.

The 3D modeling is a feature that you can turn on and off. I am not in to that 3D stuff either. I think I would be if the technology improved but as it is now I prefer the old way.

You've just never been a fan of the Zelda series? I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions or so I am told but this one I just don't understand. The Legend of Zelda is one of the single greatest creations in the history of gaming. If you are being threatened or blackmailed in to saying this give me some sort of sign.
  • Jesmoko
    Options

The 3D modeling is a feature that you can turn on and off. I am not in to that 3D stuff either. I think I would be if the technology improved but as it is now I prefer the old way.

You've just never been a fan of the Zelda series? I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions or so I am told but this one I just don't understand. The Legend of Zelda is one of the single greatest creations in the history of gaming. If you are being threatened or blackmailed in to saying this give me some sort of sign.
    The models look like something off a low budget computer generated cartoon made in 20...11. Just very generic round shiny round shapes without details, which I'm not a big fan of. If they'd kept it 2D and just make the sprite art beautiful, I'd be all about it.

And I think the main reason I don't like the Zelda games is because I didn't grow up playing them. We never had a Nintendo console, and neither did any of my friends, so I was about 19 or something when I first played a Zelda game. I hate the puzzles, I hate the clunky combat and I hate pointless running around in the same areas all the time, because the game doesn't give good enough indication to what you're supposed to do. There's something about the combination of action adventure and puzzles that is really repellent to me, I couldn't get into Darksiders because of it either. And I loved Okami, even though I think it's very similar to the Zelda games.
  • soldier4242
    Options

The models look like something off a low budget computer generated cartoon made in 20...11. Just very generic round shiny round shapes without details, which I'm not a big fan of. If they'd kept it 2D and just make the sprite art beautiful, I'd be all about it.

And I think the main reason I don't like the Zelda games is because I didn't grow up playing them. We never had a Nintendo console, and neither did any of my friends, so I was about 19 or something when I first played a Zelda game. I hate the puzzles, I hate the clunky combat and I hate pointless running around in the same areas all the time, because the game doesn't give good enough indication to what you're supposed to do. There's something about the combination of action adventure and puzzles that is really repellent to me, I couldn't get into Darksiders because of it either. And I loved Okami, even though I think it's very similar to the Zelda games.

I guess there is a level of nostalgia to it. The Legend of Zelda was the first game that I truly fell in love with. Gaming in those days was different. There wasn't an internet and nobody I knew had access to club Nintendo so we literally had to figure everything out though sheer brute force.

When someone would figure something out like where level 7 was and how to get in there or something like that people would be getting on the telephone or going over to their friends house to share the secret. There was a real aspect of discovery to the game that doesn't seem to exist anymore. Anyone with Google can just look up anything they want to know. You don't have to go around setting fire to every single bush on a screen to make sure you found all of the hidden stairways. There was a real aspect of exploration that has be lost and the world of gaming will never see again and perhaps in the absence of that Zelda has lost a bit of it glimmer.
  • Jesmoko
    Options

I guess there is a level of nostalgia to it. The Legend of Zelda was the first game that I truly fell in love with. Gaming in those days was different. There wasn't an internet and nobody I knew had access to club Nintendo so we literally had to figure everything out though sheer brute force.

When someone would figure something out like where level 7 was and how to get in there or something like that people would be getting on the telephone or going over to their friends house to share the secret. There was a real aspect of discovery to the game that doesn't seem to exist anymore. Anyone with Google can just look up anything they want to know. You don't have to go around setting fire to every single bush on a screen to make sure you found all of the hidden stairways. There was a real aspect of exploration that has be lost and the world of gaming will never see again and perhaps in the absence of that Zelda has lost a bit of it glimmer.
    That is very true, that aspect of exploration and trying to figure it out with friends has died down as most people are on the Interbutts.

Now, do I miss spending hours on trying to figure out whatever arbitrary and most likely poorly designed puzzle on my own? Not really. It worked for us when we were children and gaming was in its infancy, so we didn't have too many other options if we wanted to quit and play something else (especially since we only got one or two games per year and were stuck with those).
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I always thought the puzzles were fun.