New to running and hating it

Options
I just recently started a c25k program and am only on week 3. Unfortunately even after 3 weeks, I am still hating it just as much as day 1. I decided to start running because I have walked plenty of 5k races and I actually want to run one now. It would be a huge accomplishment for me and a goal I plan on reaching.

I don't know what to do to make it more enjoyable. I am training on my treadmill and I have my ipod blasting with some great energetic music. But, I am constantly looking down at the time to see how much I have left. I will admit that I have never been a runner, even when I was in my best shape. I am starting to quesiton myself now why I would pick this form of exercise. :-)

Is there any advice anyone can give me on how to enjoy it more? At this point, when it is difficult to even get through 3 minutes of constant running, it's hard to imagine that I will ever be able to run a full 5k.

Also, my right shin is absolutely killing me. Any exercises or anything I can do to make it better? I plan on going this weekend to get fitted for running shoes. The ones I have now just aren't cutting it.

Thanks for any advice or information anyone can give me.

Replies

• Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I started running this year and had the same attitude. I listen to music when I run but do get bored on the longer runs. I try to focus on my breathing and form and that seems to help pass the time. Running is such a mind over matter type of exercise that you can psych yourself out and sabatoge your performance. I try to stay positive about it. As I'm running I assess how I feel, I'm not in pain, I'm burning calories and I'm healthy.

I actually enjoyed the C25K program and am repeating the 5K210K program.

If you're getting shin splints you need to make sure you're not landing on your heel. Again, focus opn your form such as landing on mid foot or the balls of your feet. This will also take your mind off of watching the clock.
  • suezensays
    suezensays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If at all possible, try outdoor running. It is so much more enjoyable than the treadmill. I would seriously rather roll in honey and stake myself naked to an anthill than run on a treadmill.

As for the shin pain, in addition to what was said above, make sure your shoes fit correctly and a couple times a day, put your leg out straight, and trace the alphabet in the air with each foot. This helps tremendously alleviate my shin pain whenever it pops up.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything the first two posters said....
    Also, in addition, I'd say give the rest of the program a chance (and then some).... Once you're able to go on a half hour run outside, things are a lot better/more enjoyable (although I still have some days when I absolutely can not stand it and just want to shoot myself instead of finishing... but then there is a huge sense of accomplishment when you fight through that and actually finish)
  • snorry
    snorry Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely follow it. I am absolutely NOT giving up on this goal so I guess I will just have to push through it. I do feel great after I'm finished with my run, I just hate it during. Maybe one day I can manage to enjoy it or at least not want to pass out.
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely follow it. I am absolutely NOT giving up on this goal so I guess I will just have to push through it. I do feel great after I'm finished with my run, I just hate it during. Maybe one day I can manage to enjoy it or at least not want to pass out.

I'm also doing couch to 5k and don't love running either, but it's getting better. I think if you start running outside you will find it more enjoyable. The scenery and people watching (and trying not to trip) will get your mind off of your distaste. I ran on the canal on Monday and that was pretty cool. What I do like about running is that it is "easy" - put on shoes and go...rather than hiking to a gym.
  • snorry
    snorry Posts: 9
    Options

I'm also doing couch to 5k and don't love running either, but it's getting better. I think if you start running outside you will find it more enjoyable. The scenery and people watching (and trying not to trip) will get your mind off of your distaste. I ran on the canal on Monday and that was pretty cool. What I do like about running is that it is "easy" - put on shoes and go...rather than hiking to a gym.

How do you keep the time during the c25k when you are running outside? I don't have an iphone, I have an android, so I listen to the music on my ipod and just keep track of the time on the treadmill vs actually using my phone. I just let the time run on it and set it to the side. Also, I have heard that running outside is harder than on a treadmill. I figured I would actually get to the point of running a 5k on the treadmill first then trying to run it outside.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options

How do you keep the time during the c25k when you are running outside? I don't have an iphone, I have an android, so I listen to the music on my ipod and just keep track of the time on the treadmill vs actually using my phone. I just let the time run on it and set it to the side. Also, I have heard that running outside is harder than on a treadmill. I figured I would actually get to the point of running a 5k on the treadmill first then trying to run it outside.

I used the rundouble c25k app - but there are several others... Probably all of them will play music, or use your phone to play music... They will tell you when to run, and when to walk also (using distance via GPS, or timed)
    that's the way to go... :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I used the rundouble c25k app - but there are several others... Probably all of them will play music, or use your phone to play music... They will tell you when to run, and when to walk also (using distance via GPS, or timed)
    that's the way to go... :)

After you graduate from c25k, there are plenty of other apps you can use. Nike+, Endomondo, Runkeeper, Mapmyrun, etc.

And I agree with all the advice given. Keep trying, get outside. Properly fitted shoes will help alot.

Running outside is much harder than running on a treadmill. All the more reason to get outside sooner than later - you don't want to "think" you can run 4 miles and then hit the pavement for the first time and have your hopes dashed!
  • SavBrookeS
    SavBrookeS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I've tried running several times, hating it everytime. I have finally found what motivates me to keep going and it's that I don't want to be the slowest one at a marathon. Also, after running/walking for several weeks, I finally started to see progress where I could run much longer then I ever could before, which was the biggest motivator.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    agree with the others...

also, make sure you aren't going too fast.... it can wear you out quickly.

Angie
  • tams5899
    tams5899 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i'm relatively new to running too... i still don't love it and have never been an athlete, but i do miss it if i cannot run. i did the mini 5k 2 1/2 months into my running adventure and will do the mni this year. i started with c25k on the treadmill and was coerced into running outdoors. now i struggle to run on the "dreadmill" but a run outside goes so quickly and i do love being outdoors! good luck and keep up the good work, you've got this!
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I run with my nano - downloaded the Chubby Jones podcast from iTunes - she plays music then tells you when to run/walk. There is a thread about podcasts/apps on the c25k group.
  • cass0632
    cass0632 Posts: 6
    Options
    My advice, if you hate running, don't run.

There are plenty of other workout programs that are probably easier on the joints that will get you in better overall shape if that is what you are looking for! I'd be happy to recommend some that I have tried if you are interested?