What to wear for cold weather OCR?

Options
summertime_girl
summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
I'm assuming there won't be mud. And with the exception of a lovely 62 on Monday, it's been pretty damn cold around here. I'm thinking ski clothes will be too bulky, but Under Armour cold gear not warm enough if I'm crawling around. I don't want to be weighed down too much if I'm running too. Anyone ever done a cold weather one? It's supposed to be in the snow, but I guess that depends on how much snow we get.

Replies

• LadyMud17
    LadyMud17 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    In this weather,, runners tights,, bra, maybe a wicking under shirt (something synthetic) then a close fitting jacket (also synthetic, close to the body), hat, workout gloves. I think you maybe good there.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I'm just afraid my legs will freeze if I'm crawling over/under snowy stuff. Maybe I'll bring a flask of whiskey like those dogs in the Alps that find lost skiers :)
  • LadyMud17
    Options
    ohh, you will be cold,,and I am sure it will be hard to warm up again. a thermos of hot coco,, baileys :)
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    In this weather,, runners tights,, bra, maybe a wicking under shirt (something synthetic) then a close fitting jacket (also synthetic, close to the body), hat, workout gloves. I think you maybe good there.

^^ This... but, the flask sounds good too. :smile:
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Oooh, it is going to be SO cold. This week is the coldest temps yet this year. And snow is expected Friday!
  • LadyMud17
    Options
    HOt coco and whiskey!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What about footwear? Its pretty cold up here in Manitoba. I sure the hell hope its not as cold Feb 10th as it is this week (-45F) when we do our first ever ice donkey 5km obstacle race here. Im thinking runners with ice cleats and several layers of socks! I dont really want to wear anything too heavy on my feet. Im worried, from my experiences trying to run in this cold, that Im gonna freeze to death if I dont wear enough and then overheat if I wear too much. there must be a happy medium!
  • lyxus
    lyxus Posts: 85
    Options
    In all fairness, don't wear too much layer, it will make you cold when you will be in water/mud.
    Run faster ;)
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    Options
    I ran the Spartan Race and it was barely 40 degrees and freezing rain, sometimes down pour and sometimes sideways. It was absolutely brutal. Warming up and after the race I was frozen. I was excited to run just to keep warm. But that was short lived with wading through shoulder high water and cold mud. But I definitely fared better than a lot of participants. The emergency tent was filled with people suffering from frost bite. I was lucky. I wore an under armor long sleeve shirt that is designed to keep heat in. I work synthetic shorts and underwear (Not cotton because it holds the moisture which is worse). Synthetic socks and just my sneakers. I definitely believed my non cotton attire helped get me through it. But most of all...you just have to keep moving.
    Good luck!
    FYI- this pic is me frozen after the race!