What's in a voice?

Options
AnnaPixie
AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
So, you've been chatting away on the internet by email. Then you text. Then you speak on the phone!! :noway:

Have you ever been turned off by a voice? :huh:

Or turned on? :smokin:

I'm not sure if its just me, but I've got a thing for tone/pitch of voice and accents. Just wondering if I'm a loony or does anyone else feel like if there's no voice chemistry, there's not going to be physical chemistry??

Male or female voices. Turn on or off - why?

If it doesnt suit, should it be a dealbreaker?? Or is that totally irrational?? lol

Replies

• 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's not just you... not in the slightest.
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Can't say they turn me off so much as turn me on! I love rich voices, and they doesn't even have to be very deep although that helps. I remember I had a professor in college that I found highly unattractive when he first walked in to the classroom. Then I heard him start talking. I could have listened to him all day, and not only that but I no longer found him unattractive. Total ear candy.

I also love accents but they don't all turn me on. Asian and hispanic accents don't but most everything else from outside the US makes my ears perk up. Now, if you speak Spanish and are from Argentina or you speak Castellano, I'll cream in my panties.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've definitely found that a voice can turn me on more, but I can't think of an example where it turned me off. I wonder if it's less the voice and more the intonation, tone and affect that someone uses though?
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    No... I've definitely been turned off by a guys voice. Actually it was someone I ran across 5-10 years after I had first met him, and thought maybe he'd finally hit puberty and his voice dropped. Nope... it was still higher than mine. Ewww eww eww.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    YES I can be turned on or off by a voice- usually off, lol! This is one of the reasons I want to speak to a guy as soon as possible. I love a deep southern drawl, but it's not just the tone and quality of the voice as I've fallen for some guys who were higher-pitched. It's the strength of voice and character he displays as he talks. Those things don't come across very well via email. Does he have a whiny personality or a wish-washy one? I've "nexted" guys simply because talking to them on the phone I knew it wasn't going to work.

OTOH, I've fallen for a guy based on his pics and voice only to meet him in person and be like whaaaaaaa? Why were your online pics with long hair and very fit but you come to dinner with 60 extra lbs and a bald head...???
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    A voice can definitely get me excited- or unexcited, but not enough to be a deal breaker. I'd be talking to no one ever if i let myself dismiss people because the sound of their voice was kind of lame- I dismiss enough because of the crappy close minded words that they say.

Strangely, I can remember the sound of most people's voices, but I am usually unable to picture what someone looks like in detail. Or maybe this isn't strange- don't know.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    No... I've definitely been turned off by a guys voice. Actually it was someone I ran across 5-10 years after I had first met him, and thought maybe he'd finally hit puberty and his voice dropped. Nope... it was still higher than mine. Ewww eww eww.

Totally relate to this. And the main reason why I dont fancy David Beckham!! Ewwwwwwwwwww voice!!! :laugh:

Liam Neeson OTOH = :love:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Can't say they turn me off so much as turn me on! I love rich voices, and they doesn't even have to be very deep although that helps. I remember I had a professor in college that I found highly unattractive when he first walked in to the classroom. Then I heard him start talking. I could have listened to him all day, and not only that but I no longer found him unattractive. Total ear candy.

I also love accents but they don't all turn me on. Asian and hispanic accents don't but most everything else from outside the US makes my ears perk up. Now, if you speak Spanish and are from Argentina or you speak Castellano, I'll cream in my panties.

I remember reading once that when men get aroused their voice deepens. And when women get aroused their voice gets higher!! It's supposed to be why women prefer deep voices and males prefer higher voices??

And yeah, a male Northern Irish accent gets my knickers in the same state!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    YES I can be turned on or off by a voice- usually off, lol! This is one of the reasons I want to speak to a guy as soon as possible. I love a deep southern drawl, but it's not just the tone and quality of the voice as I've fallen for some guys who were higher-pitched. It's the strength of voice and character he displays as he talks. Those things don't come across very well via email. Does he have a whiny personality or a wish-washy one? I've "nexted" guys simply because talking to them on the phone I knew it wasn't going to work.

Yes, Yes and Yes!! Me too!! I'm often disappointed by voices after email. And I've nexted guys too! But I do think that's irrational......

Irrational because I've known plenty of guys to be strong, reliable, protective, fun characters, but sound like a mouse!! lol
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    A voice can definitely get me excited- or unexcited, but not enough to be a deal breaker. I'd be talking to no one ever if i let myself dismiss people because the sound of their voice was kind of lame- I dismiss enough because of the crappy close minded words that they say.

yeah, it's lame. I agree.

There's an American tv sitcom that I happened across the other day. About 2 girls that own a bakery???

Well, after about 2 minutes of listening to them prattle on, I had to turn over!! Their voices literally grated on my nerves :laugh:

No offence to anyone that loves that prog. :flowerforyou: I do love American accents, so it wasn't the accent, just the whiney pitch and nonsense they were speaking about........:noway:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Strangely, I can remember the sound of most people's voices, but I am usually unable to picture what someone looks like in detail. Or maybe this isn't strange- don't know.

I'd say that's unusual. I'm more likely to remember a look unless the voice is particularly distinctive or unusual.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    A girl's voice isn't a deal breaker for me, never has, never will . Female UK/Aussie accents kinda do it for me though. :love: Never understood why some girls dig the Spanish accent either. I've been told I have one but I don't really notice it I am bilingual in English and Spanish and I feel I sound better in Spanish, if that makes sense. 75% of the time I am thinking mentally in Spanish.

Any other bilingual SP think in 1 language most of the time?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

There's an American tv sitcom that I happened across the other day. About 2 girls that own a bakery???

Well, after about 2 minutes of listening to them prattle on, I had to turn over!! Their voices literally grated on my nerves :laugh:

No offence to anyone that loves that prog. :flowerforyou: I do love American accents, so it wasn't the accent, just the whiney pitch and nonsense they were speaking about........:noway:

I don't like the dark haired girls (Kat Dennings') voice either. The blonde's is more valley-girl, seems fake but
    I wonder if she talks like that in real life...I've never seen her in another show.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Overly high-pitched, squeaky voices, excess nasality, monotone speech and certain accents are an immediate turn-off for me. I'm probably hyper-sensitive about this, mind you... Some other accents and a rich and resonant voice have the opposite effect - a beautiful voice can compensate for a lot :wink:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I don't like the dark haired girls (Kat Dennings') voice either. The blonde's is more valley-girl, seems fake but
    I wonder if she talks like that in real life...I've never seen her in another show.

She has a voice?!?! All I ever noticed from her is those huge, full, luscious, pair of lips!:love: (her boobs aren't half bad either. :laugh: ) If you seen Thor, she's in it. Though most girls for some reason only remember that blonde, bearded guy. >.>
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    A girl's voice isn't a deal breaker for me, never has, never will . Female UK/Aussie accents kinda do it for me though. :love: Never understood why some girls dig the Spanish accent either. I've been told I have one but I don't really notice it I am bilingual in English and Spanish and I feel I sound better in Spanish, if that makes sense. 75% of the time I am thinking mentally in Spanish.

Any other bilingual SP think in 1 language most of the time?
    Ceaser I mostly thnk in English though occasionally I will think in spanish... I'm hyper sensative to voices and tonal quality (probably has something to do with be around musicians my entire life lol)
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Voices seem to be important to me. In fact, 90% of the music I listen to is from male singers, there's not a lot of female singer I can listen to :laugh:

I prefer a rich, deep voice or along those line. I've met a guy last month who has a great voice plus a french accent (in french of course, because i'm a french speaker for those who wouldn't know by now), it gets me every time :smokin:
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I love a good, deep voice! But, an average voice is nice too. :)

I don't care for men with high pitched voices....I am soft spoken with a slight southern accent. If his voice is higher than mine, we will not get along. If a guy sounds gangster/thug...Next.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

She has a voice?!?! All I ever noticed from her is those huge, full, luscious, pair of lips!:love: (her boobs aren't half bad either. :laugh: ) If you seen Thor, she's in it. Though most girls for some reason only remember that blonde, bearded guy. >.>

You should have seen her on the Ellen show. I love her but that is probably because she reminds me of me, looks wise.

Voice OMG I could listen to Josh Turner all day. Him singing turns me on like no body's business. Listen to "Your Man" when he says "baby take your clothes off" :love:

And he isn't bad to look at. His wife is one lucky lady.
    josh-turner-021811b.jpg
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Voices seem to be important to me. In fact, 90% of the music I listen to is from male singers, there's not a lot of female singer I can listen to :laugh:

I prefer a rich, deep voice or along those line. I've met a guy last month who has a great voice plus a french accent (in french of course, because i'm a french speaker for those who wouldn't know by now), it gets me every time :smokin:

I don't really listen to female singers either!!

And Ruth, Josh Turner really does have a sexy voice...same with Chris Young. Love them both!