Hitting a rough patch

Options
lindzann88
lindzann88 Posts: 27 Member
So I've got over 100lbs to lose and though I've lost 23 lbs, I don't see any changes. My clothes don't feel loose, my body looks the same and I'm getting so frustrated that I really just don't know what to do! I see others who lost 10lbs and they look like totally different people. I would have thought that losing a little would have made my pants a bit loose or my shirts, or something. I just need something to show me that what I am doing and going through is worth it.

Replies

• aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    hang in there! sometimes we get caught up on the numbers.... clothes vary so much in sizing it can be unreliable way to judge. Just remember you are living a healthier lifestyle and changes will come!

Angie
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store. Grab two 10lb sacks of potatoes, plus one 3lb sack. Stand there and hold that weight in your arms. Feel how heavy it is. That used to be on your body. Think about how that extra weight was impacting your health and how tired it would make you feel to carry it around all day.

Whether you feel like you can see it or not, 23lbs is a good amount of loss. Congrats! And yes, you still have a long way to go. But if you've come this far, you can do the rest. Besides, the time is going to pass anyway. You might as well be working towards a goal.
  • angie6171
    angie6171 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should already be feeling lighter. Trust me, I know it takes time to get that much off and it's frustrating at the beginning when you can't wait for change. But hang in there it is worth it and you will see big changes coming soon! :heart:
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    the time is going to pass anyway. You might as well be working towards a goal.

Great quote! I love it! Did you come up with that on your own?
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was feeling frustrated today! The "scale" says I went up 2 lbs! Makes me think why didn't I eat that cupcake or pizza if I'm gaining weight! But I remember how I felt before I started, I'd rather not go back there. It's hard.

Sounds like your doing really well though - 23 lbs! Wow, I've only lost around 7 since I joined (February).

You can do it!
  • lindzann88
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel a little lighter, and it is easier to walk up stairs. I've just lost weight before just dieting and not working out, and I drop dress sizes. I know that what I am doing is healthier and better for me, I'm sure better days will come.

And LoraF83 I love that saying, and its going on my motivational board!
  • CaroleLynn65
    Options
    Hi Lindzann88.....I too have over 100 lbs to lose. I started 3/1 & have lost 29 pounds. My focus is on fitness and not on the number on the sale. For me to see a noticeable difference, I HAD to start moving. I started with walking 30 minutes 5 days a week - gradually up to 60 minutes - to 2 gym workouts a week plus walking.

I have dropped 2 sizes & 29 inches since 3/1 - I credit it all to movement. So no matter what you find to do...move. The # on the scale will be a side benefit to the change in your body.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you're working out you're making a positive change. I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale or if you notice the difference just yet. I lost a total of 110lbs. It wasn't until I hit 30lbs lost that people noticed a difference. I just kept at it where in the past I would give up. What kept me going was my change in behavior. I told myself quitting wouldn't result in a change. I've done that before. If I wanted to change my body I just had to keep going. The days that I really wasn't feeling it were the most crucial days as I made my self count my calories and exercise. I counted that as a mental victory. I also used a belt that I could barely wear ( I had outgrown it) as my success meter. Even though I couldn't see the changes, I kept having to tighten that belt. I eventually had to throw it away as it was way to big for me. Find something other than the scale to judge your progress!

Keep going, you can do it!
  • DJDeBusk
    DJDeBusk Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you heard of the paper towel theory? It is what really keeps me going and brings things in perspective for me.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off! - Bob White

Just thought I would share this. Good job 23lbs is an awesome start!!
  • lindzann88
    Options
    Thank you all. I feel a bit better today. I'm still trying to move every day. Hopefully one day I will reach my goals.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I feel a bit better today. I'm still trying to move every day. Hopefully one day I will reach my goals.

Glad you're feeling better today... Remember, that you WILL reach your goals if you stay committed. There is nothing left up to chance here... Keep your head on straight, and keep working hard, and it WILL happen...