24yo, 1yo son, husband 1200 miles away

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Lindsay. I just joined my fitness pal today. Just browsing through some groups, thought this one applied to me very well! To tell you a bit about myself, I am married to my husband Dave and we have a soon to be 1 year old son named Charlie. I am 5'2" and still have about 20 pounds of baby weight on :( And let me tell you, at 5'2" those 20 extra pounds are not easily hideable! It has been a whirlwind past few years for me. I met my husband in January 2010, 2 weeks before he was to move 1200 miles away for a new job. We built and maintained our relationship long distance. After 8 months of dating, he proposed. 8 months later, we got married. We honeymooned in Jamaica and brought back a souvenir with us...little fetus Charlie :) Soo...8 months later, we welcomed our son into the world on January 13th. It was a very rough pregnancy, as I was 1200 miles away from family and friends I had been near my whole life. Also, I had pregnancy induced hypertension, which landed me in and out of the hospital at least 4 times before being induced. I was induced at 37 weeks and our son was delivered by c-section. In July, Charlie and I moved back home to be with family and friends due to me being homesick, being unstaisfied with my job, and some depression issues. Meanwhile, my husband stayed to sell the house and continue his job while looking for open opportunities with his company back home with us. It is now almost January, and there are no job opportunities on the horizon. I have been living with my son and parents since July and we will be closing on a new home at the end of January. I work 4-10 hours shifts a week as a nurse and I have a one hour commute each way so my time during the week is limited, and I am always tired since I get up at 4 am to get to work on time. I am very thankful for my mother, because she helps out so much with my son. It has been such a challenge to be separated from my husband, especially with having a son. I know people must think we are crazy, and maybe we are. I am trying to be as supportive as possible of my husband's career, since he has done the same for me. So to say the least, the last 3 years of my life have been full of change and stress....

I was very motivated to lose weight as soon as I could. I weighed 130 lbs before I got pregnant and when I came home after delivering Charlie I weighed a whopping 160 lbs. I joined the Body by Vi Challenge in late February and continued until early May. I lost close to 20 lbs with this program, but due to social eating and get-togethers, I got very unmotivated. I joined weight watchers in August and stuck with that program for about 4 weeks and lost a few pounds that I had re-gained after becoming unmotivated with Body by Vi. So, I have now gained close to 10 pounds back. I now weigh in at 150lbs after the holiday season.

I have always found it so unfair that some people can eat whatever they want and maintain a lean and trim figure. I have a close friend that eats pretty much whatever she wants, does not work out regularly and stays fit. She is the type that does not eat when she is upset, so maybe that is her secret. I get so frustrated though! It just isn't fair!!!

I have never been the type of person to eat an abundance of vegatables and fruits....I have always been a mac and cheese, chips and salsa, beer drinking kind of girl. I look back to photos of myself that were taken just 5 years ago ( I weighed about 115 lbs) and I can't believe how far I have let myself go. I used to feel so confident but yet even at the weight of 115lbs, I would still have moments of low self-esteem and comparison to others around me.

I am in a wedding in June with my husband. I currently have a size 16 dress for the wedding, and it is somewhat loose. The bride recently told me that another bridesmaid is pregnant and looking for a larger dress to wear since she is due in late July. This certain bridesmaid ordered a size 10, so in order to trade her I will have to lose quite a bit of weight. I desperately want to stick with this and reach my goals. I feel discouraged though, knowing that my attempts in the past have only been temporary and have waned. I would love to hear from anyone willing to respond, because I am looking for motivators and supporters....perhaps someone else feels the same that I do. Looking forward to this new journey!!

Replies

• ekmorrison
    ekmorrison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from! I'm 5'5" and now 155lbs. This is the heaviest I've ever been.

I've been yo-yo-ing a bit the last couple of years, but overall steadily gaining weight. I just finished pharmacy school and residency, and somewhere in there got married. We don't have any kids yet, but trust me I get the whole stress thing.

I'm not really a junk-food eater, I don't eat candy. But I love to cook and I can't resist baked sweets. Food comforts me when I'm stressed out. But my sister, 5 years younger, who eats similarly to me, is so THIN she is having to work to gain weight - she's actually almost unhealthy skinny. How does that happen?? We have the same genes!! It's not fair!! OH and my husband let me know that he's lost 35 lbs since we got married. Without doing anything. UGH.

I'm with you, hoping that this community helps keep me motivated. I've tried all kinds of diets and work out plans, but have trouble sticking to it when I get little to no results.
  • bcsk8r
    bcsk8r Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i feel you. i am 23 years old. have been married now for 3 years, i am active duty navy, and i have a 15month son. i was high risk pregancy due to me going into premature labor with my first son who unfutunantly didnt make it. i also had both of those pregancies back to back. i ended up having to have a c-section with my son and as a result i wasnt able to work out or anything for about 8 weeks. than i went back into the hospital due to a bad breast infection. by the time i could real do anything it was already almost 4-5 months. i have been strugling to lose this extra wieght for a while now