Mental vs. Physical

Options
ksellen1
ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
I know everyone has been here....walked up to the bar with a weight on it they didn't think they could do...so can you or can't you?

I am trying to figure out if the next PR is out of reach because it's mental or because I'm not pushing myself hard enough. I know I'm getting stronger slowly but there are just times when I know I should be able to add that 10 lbs. What are you guys doing to get out of your head and push to that PR?

Replies

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I don't even pay attention to the weight on the bar. I keep adding weight until I can't finish the rep. When I feel it getting harder and harder I put less weight on for the next attempt. Knowing what the weight is doesn't help you lift it, it just gets in the way. Add it up after your body has told you it is the max.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The mental game is challenging. I'm always aware of how close I am to my 1rm and once I'm trying to match or beat, getting up to that bar the whole time I'm thinking "Can I do this?" For some reason though knowing that I'm about to possibly PR is really motivating, as well. If you find yourself thinking about the weight, spin it in positive terms!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    The "mind over matter" thing is what I have the hardest time with. I constantly psych myself out when it comes to certain amount of weight or certain movements. My body is definitely capable, but I'm always doubting in my head. So, I'm trying to study movements and form (via youtube and whatnot), and then I try to visualize myself doing it. This has actually helped me break through and get a few PR's lately.

This might sound a little nuts, but I started reading a book called "Psycho-Cybernetics" which addresses a lot of mind over matter issues that athletes have. I read about the book on a good Crossfit blog, and decided to give it a look. I'm only a couple chapters in, but it's got a lot of good ideas in it!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    When I'm going for a PR and I look at the bar. I take a few deep breathes and know I'm about to head into territory I've never been before but I know I got this. Then I just grab the bar and go once you hit that PR you know what's next a few more lbs the next time
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm still really new and have only set a few PRs. The first one was all physical. I kept loading weights and doing math until I couldn't do another rep. I was disappointed in my weight until I realized I accidentally picked up 15# plates instead of 10#...remember, I told you I was new! :embarassed:

My biggest issue is giving up too early. As soon as I feel stuck halfway through the movement, I get scared and give up instead of trying to push through. Yesterday I finally didn't bale as soon as I felt stuck half way up on a push press and was able to get there. I haven't condition myself to drop the barbell yet and I think that's the biggest road block. After a recent AMRAP I was reminded to 'drop" the weight. Apparently, I'm still lowering it gently to just above the floor then dropping and expending unnecessary energy. It just seems so violent. :noway:

I like the idea of not doing the math until you fail.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    My strategy is simple: I don't tally (or let anyone tell me) the weight on the bar until after it's been lifted successfully. I'd psych myself out otherwise.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    My strategy is simple: I don't tally (or let anyone tell me) the weight on the bar until after it's been lifted successfully. I'd psych myself out otherwise.

That's a great idea! I should try that.
  • jayr1532
    jayr1532 Posts: 2
    Options
    Haha, I completely understand! I have been crossfitting for almost 1 year now, and only "seriously" crossfitting for 4 months. The idea of lifting more than you thought is amazing. The most important aspect of crossfit I think is learning to listen to your body. Try a heavier weight than you mentally think you could lift. Your body will let you know if it can do it. We were doing ground to overhead presses and I was using 45 at the start. After a few I was literally throwing the bar up, and realized that if I could do that I could add more weight. I did the female RX of 75 on that. That was my first RX. I tried more, but couldn't do it safely at this time.

On a side note, I am a massage therapist and one of the things I deal with with athletes is injuries. Our brain/nervous system works to protect us by limiting a movement into a zone that was previously injured (called Guarding). We simply cannot go past that without retraining our nervous system. Massage therapy, specifically moving your limbs through movements where you do not assist, will help retrain your body into realizing that the injury is gone and that movement into the "forbidden zone" is ok. If you had an injury that is creating that mental wall, try your massage therapist.
  • ksellen1
    Options
    Our brain/nervous system works to protect us by limiting a movement into a zone that was previously injured (called Guarding).

I have a knee injury and totally guard it. It's been bad recently so I started PT on Monday. When it was fine, after a lot of squats, my right leg was always WAY more sore than the left....because I load the weight over to avoid knee pain.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm just going to always assume that I can get the weight up and try to push past it. It usually happens with cleaning (which is my FAVORITE). I can get it to my chest, but for some reason I just can't get that last inch up so I can rack it...SO frustrating!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I always have my mind ready. Psyched out to explode and destroy the thing.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    After a recent AMRAP I was reminded to 'drop" the weight. Apparently, I'm still lowering it gently to just above the floor then dropping and expending unnecessary energy. It just seems so violent. :noway:

I like the idea of not doing the math until you fail.
    [/quote]

I do this too! Must learn to drop the weight instead of lowering gently
  • ksellen1
    Options
    After a recent AMRAP I was reminded to 'drop" the weight. Apparently, I'm still lowering it gently to just above the floor then dropping and expending unnecessary energy. It just seems so violent. :noway:

One of the coaches at my box (Deborah Cordner Carson - placed in the CrossFit Games last year) told us it's not always efficient to drop the bar for AMRAPS. It takes more time to let it drop, rest and pick it up then to transition back down the way you went up. I am no pro, and don't lift enough weight to need to drop it.....but I'd listen to her! :)

Here's a little clip of her last year. She won the Spirit of the Games award:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBp794_p1A4
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't even pay attention to the weight on the bar. I keep adding weight until I can't finish the rep. When I feel it getting harder and harder I put less weight on for the next attempt. Knowing what the weight is doesn't help you lift it, it just gets in the way. Add it up after your body has told you it is the max.

agreed. i load the bar to warm up, and then just keep on stacking. i swear those little fractional plates are hard to see when you are centered on the bar so as long as you don't get mentally psyched out your body will tell you when its too heavy or if you aren't quick enough.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

THIS! I totally psyched myself out when doing snatches on Wednesday by counting up the weights and subconsciously telling myself "this is heavier than you could lift in the past". Today worked on 1RM for shoulder press, and I just kept adding weights until I could lift no more. It took the mental aspect right out of the equation. Just my muscles and a barbell.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options

That's a great idea! I should try that.
    i should try this too.

i psyched myself out twice this week. i pretty sure i could've gone 5 more pounds in both my clean and my snatch this week. i definitely got the bar high enough but i couldn't do it mentally. sigh.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A lot of things ARE mental, so I just keep going til I can't anymore and try not to think about anything but finishing.

For me there's also the worry of aggravating old injuries so I'm sure I don't always push myself as hard as I can possibly go poundage wise.