Pedal discomfort

Options
katozdad
katozdad Posts: 298 Member
Noticed on my last couple of long rides that I am getting some pedal discomfort. A burning sensation (like it is just about to blister) under my foot (the joint at the base of my big toe). I have SPD cleats fitted and have Shimano MTB boots. The burning sensation comes gradually and eventually a little painful (but rule 5 and the need to get home keeps me going). The problem persists whether I am wearing 2 pairs of socks or 1. What would you guys suggest as a next step. I'm thinking of:

a) Changing the insole, but what brand etc.
b) Reposition the cleats further back from the problem area.
c) Change to road shoes and convert my stable to road cleats (probably most expensive, but considering for the new bike anyway)
d) Any further suggestions from you guys.

Replies

• KansasRider
    KansasRider Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Id try adjusting the cleat... then again, you dont want your form out of wack... have you tried a different kind of sock? Or a band aid in that spot? Maybe moleskin?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Try swapping out the "footbeds" in the shoes for a different one - I used to get a similar problem - almost like I'd stood on a hot ember, but with no physical signs - no swelling or redness, just a pain "in the meat of the foot". I swapped the footbeds in my Sidi's for something with a little more shape/contouring to them (initially just the 'beds from my running shoes - but eventually to the Specialized ones) which supported my arch better, and stopped the nerve running down the side of the ball of the foot from getting trapped.

Have a look at the specialized website - they had quite a good explanation of how their footbeds worked...
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    One question are you MTB boots flexible or stiff soled? If they are flexible that could be part of the problem. That would mean you are putting all your pressure at the cleat instead of spreading it out over the entire foot.

The other is to ask how is your technique? Do you do an effective push-pull pedal stroke or is it a little too heavy on the push? If it is too heavy on the push you can get this kind of pain, and it also will sometimes show up as numbness that hurts hot poker bad after the numbness wears off.
  • katozdad
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments. It is interesting to see that my problem is not unique and can be resolved. Will have a look this weekend to see if I can get some different foot beds or better insoles, but thinking I will definitely make the switch to a road shoe when I can muster a bit more money together.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    At what distance are you getting the pain?

All the above posters offer sound advice but I have learned a trick for long distance rides when I get a little hot foot. I simply loosen the shoe on the offending foot. I can do this while moving with my road shoes but do it at a rest stop when using SPD's.

Of course I also have one of the Ped Egg's foot scrapers since my hotspot coincides with the part of my foot where the skin gets tough and scaly. I have even less problems after scraping the offending foot.
  • katozdad
    Options
    Thank you Dahamac,

I had wondered whether the built up layers of skin were a contributing factor, but I am too blokey to suggest a pedicure or dipping my feet in with those weird fish that chew the dead skin off your feet. :laugh:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dahamac,

I had wondered whether the built up layers of skin were a contributing factor, but I am too blokey to suggest a pedicure or dipping my feet in with those weird fish that chew the dead skin off your feet. :laugh:
    as a person whom regularly gets pedicures it hurts more to ride on soft feet than callused feet
  • katozdad
    Options
    Thank you Dahamac,

as a person whom regularly gets pedicures it hurts more to ride on soft feet than callused feet

Okey Dokey, lets stick with being Blokey. :laugh: