First 5K, what do you wish you would have known?

Options
kenjleigh
kenjleigh Posts: 11 Member
After doing the couch to 5K program last spring/summer and finally working myself up to 5Ks again this year, I've decided to enter my first 5K in May. I'm a worrier, so any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to expect. I want to feel prepared so I can concentrate on actually running and not everything that goes with it. I've looked at running websites but I'm a beginner and am not looking for speed, just being able to run the whole thing. My usual runs are around my neighborhood on sidestreets and sidewalks and finish at about 32 or 33 minutes, depending on how my asthma is reacting to the weather that day.

So...what do you wish you'd have known starting out?

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I ran a couple last year for my first time after doing c25k... I really felt that it prepared me pretty well. I was trying for PR's in both of them, but other than that, wasn't too obsessed by speed. My first one was a small local run with only about 30-50 people total, so that was a great place to start. I finished a couple minutes faster than I thought I would just from the adrenaline pumping I guess.... The second one I ran was HUGE... I ran well in it and got a PR, but was significantly slowed in the first half mile from "walkers" even though we were supposed to be lined up at the start by pace (I went in the ten minute/mile area.. apparently a lot of walkers thought they walked 6 or 8 minutes per mile.... grrr.... :) You can tell I'm still a bit ticked off by that :) Other than those two things, I didn't have a lot of surprises...
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations! I know running my first 5k was a huge goal for me (so much so, I ran it on a very badly sprained ankle with more wraps and brace than a PT would even know what to do with, not smart, wouldn't ever advise it but I wasn't going to miss that major milestone for anything) and I worried leading up to it as well. As for advice, I would make sure you check out the course before the run. Having familiarity with where your running will help keep that worry out of your mind. Also, the course I ran for my 1st 5k was extremely hilly, and I had not prepared for that at all, doing most of my runs on a flat track or a treadmill with no incline. If your current outdoor route does not include some sort of change in elevation, I would suggest finding some if its possible that will be part of the route. Lastly, traffic is always a problem... No matter where you start you are going to be stuck behind people going slower than you want to go (as Coolhand said, some walkers are really dumb and think they walk a sub 10 minute mile). Don't go crazy to try and get out of traffic in the beginning and kill yourself before you even get into the meat of the race (did this and died halfway through), try and find a comfortable stride in the beginning, move through the people that overestimated their time and the field will start to stretch out and you can start to push yourself if you're still feeling good as you get into some more space, or you can slow down if you're struggling to keep that pace without worrying about causing problems for people behind you.

In the end, just run your pace, worry about your goals (and ignore everyone else), and most of all HAVE FUN!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I was very nervous at my first 5k as well. I wish I had known to relax. Really, just have fun, keep your steady pace and enjoy the atmosphere. You'll get an adrenaline rush at the start that will make you want to go faster, but don't.

Also, get there about 15 minutes before you think you need to be there. There are almost always lines at the porta potty and you WILL have to go before start time. And, the TP is usually empty by the end of the race, so either bring some or find an actual bathroom afterwards.

As the others have said, walkers will get in your way. This is more of a problem at the "themed" 5ks (think Santa Hustle, Color Me Rad, Bunny Hop, etc). At more "serious" races like the 5k at the Mini, people usually have a better idea of what they are doing. Casual walkers don't sign up for that (as much anyway). But you will spend time moving around people. Just take it slow, look for openings when you can and check over your shoulder to make sure you don't have anyone coming up behind you.

HAVE FUN!!
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    Relax! Have fun!
    Don't start out too fast.

Angie
  • kenjleigh
    kenjleigh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses, I feel better now! Sounds like I just need to relax and have fun, haha.
    Luckily the 5K I entered shouldn't have many walkers (Geist 5K), so that's one less thing to worry about. I'm just go to go and see how it goes, I'm not going for a PR, I just want to be able to run it all and finish. I'll worry about PRs next time. :)
    Thanks for the advice to check out the course before, jhstroebel, I think I'll take a drive out there this weekend to size it up. Where I run now has some inclines, but it would be a good idea to compare.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Geist is a bit hilly! Yes, check it out beforehand so you know what to expect.

You've gotten great advice so far. And your first 5K is by nature a PR, so you don't have to worry about going for that--by definition, it will be your record time!

Although hydration probably won't be an issue for a 5K unless it's a very hot day, if you're used to drinking during a run of that length, consider bringing your own water or sports drink so you can just cruise through the water station without having to stop.

Best of luck!
  • Sstearley421
    Options
    I did my first 5K last year- in the fall. It was the Wine at the Line- out at Mallow Run Winery...soooo much fun! I wish I would have realized how much addrenaline helps you out! The excitement of the race was so motivating. But like the others have said, have fun and remember to breathe. I wore my watch and did use it to time myself to gage how fast I was going and that helped me hit my goals. Good Luck- enjoy yourself! Oh yeah, chapstick- I wish I had remembered to wear chapstick. Would have helped! :)