DAY 1

Options
SCRIPTURE: LUKE 1:1-25
1 Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us. 2 They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples. 3 Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful account for you, most honorable Theophilus, 4 so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught.

The Birth of John the Baptist Foretold

5 When Herod was king of Judea, there was a Jewish priest named Zechariah. He was a member of the priestly order of Abijah, and his wife, Elizabeth, was also from the priestly line of Aaron. 6 Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous in God’s eyes, careful to obey all of the Lord’s commandments and regulations. 7 They had no children because Elizabeth was unable to conceive, and they were both very old.

8 One day Zechariah was serving God in the Temple, for his order was on duty that week. 9 As was the custom of the priests, he was chosen by lot to enter the sanctuary of the Lord and burn incense. 10 While the incense was being burned, a great crowd stood outside, praying.

11 While Zechariah was in the sanctuary, an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing to the right of the incense altar. 12 Zechariah was shaken and overwhelmed with fear when he saw him. 13 But the angel said, “Don’t be afraid, Zechariah! God has heard your prayer. Your wife, Elizabeth, will give you a son, and you are to name him John. 14 You will have great joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth, 15 for he will be great in the eyes of the Lord. He must never touch wine or other alcoholic drinks. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even before his birth. 16 And he will turn many Israelites to the Lord their God. 17 He will be a man with the spirit and power of Elijah. He will prepare the people for the coming of the Lord. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children,[c] and he will cause those who are rebellious to accept the wisdom of the godly.”

18 Zechariah said to the angel, “How can I be sure this will happen? I’m an old man now, and my wife is also well along in years.”

19 Then the angel said, “I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was he who sent me to bring you this good news! 20 But now, since you didn’t believe what I said, you will be silent and unable to speak until the child is born. For my words will certainly be fulfilled at the proper time.”

21 Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah to come out of the sanctuary, wondering why he was taking so long. 22 When he finally did come out, he couldn’t speak to them. Then they realized from his gestures and his silence that he must have seen a vision in the sanctuary.

23 When Zechariah’s week of service in the Temple was over, he returned home. 24 Soon afterward his wife, Elizabeth, became pregnant and went into seclusion for five months. 25 “How kind the Lord is!” she exclaimed. “He has taken away my disgrace of having no children.”

*STUDY GUIDE FOCUS SCRIPTURE IN BOLD

Replies

• CASSIEWESTSUNRISE
    CASSIEWESTSUNRISE Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much this was so delightful to hear tonight:smile: I needed this
  • ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    Thank you very much this was so delightful to hear tonight:smile: I needed this

Glad it helped!!
  • motivations1944
    Options
    Thank you! I'm not good with prayer nor is my knowledge with GOD where it should be. I believe in him but all I really know is the general information. Thank you for this. GOD BLESS YOU!
  • ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    STUDY GUIDE FOCUS SCRIPTURE: Luke 1:1-4
    1 Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us. 2 They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples. 3 Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful account for you, most honorable Theophilus, 4 so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught.

OBSERVATION
    The reports were investigated, not just taken blindly. Reassurance was given to Theophilus - showing that is okay to need reassurance of faith and what happened (Jesus' story) and that is in fact important to make sure you verify your sources/information.

APPLICATION
    It is okay for me to need reassurance and feel the need to verify veracity. Also, it was important to Luke that the story be accurate and concise, meaning if we share information, it is important that we know the facts about Jesus' story - not just have a general idea.

PRAYER
    Lord, please help me to draw closer to you. I want to be one of the seeds that gets planted in good earth. I want to be reassured of my faith and beliefs. Please help me to continue in the study of your word.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Observation: at the time many were attempting to write a written account of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. but they proved to be unrealiable. Luke expressed concern about whether the eye witness accounts given were reliable and they actually observed what happened. He found these accounts were proven liable.

Theophilus ( was a Gentile of high rank in the Roman world of that day) he had accepted Jesus Christ as his savior.

Application: It is okay that we need reassurance of our faith.

Prayer: I have often felt guilty at times for needing reassurance of faith but I realize that was God protecting me from being so easily influenced into things that would drag me down. I thank you for writing this written account of your life and your ministry not only to give me the assurance of my faith but to also help me to know you more not only as my lord and savior but also in my relationship with you.
  • kimbershep
    Options
    WEEK ONE: Luke 1:1-4

OBSERVATION
    I see that Luke was a man that cared greatly about the accuracy of the accounts from those that experienced Jesus Christ and actually saw the events that took place in the life/ministry of Jesus Christ. Surely he knew that these accounts would become the foundation of the Christian lifestyle in generations to come. In further readings, I noted Luke was said to be a physician. Physicians are very thorough when it comes to observing, analyzing, investigating and researching. They want to make sure what comes out as a diagnosis is correct. So be it with Luke and wanting to make sure that what was told to him and what evidence he collected was based on truth. He also was setting the stage for Christians not to just hear the Word but search the scriptures for yourself to know what is truth.

APPLICATION
    As I strive for daily spiritual growth, I will take on the same kind of effort, zeal, determination, discipline that Luke had in doing the things that it takes for growth to occur. Beginning this study is a major step...a first for me online.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, I thank you for allowing me to run across this study and having a desire to take part in it. Help me to stay focused and determined to get whatever it is that you would have for me to get out of it. I am open, willing and available to you oh God. Through this study, I ask that you strengthen the areas I am weak in and that I might become better equipped for your work in spreading the good news. Heavenly Father, touch the lives of all who are taking part and that they will be encouraged daily. Bless those also that put the study together. In your Son Jesus Christ name I pray, Amen.