How do you log your mystery meats?

Options
Well call me an idiot for not being able to communicate in Chinese at all, but I often eat at restaurants where i don't know what the h3!! I'm eating. I have no idea how to log it. Even if I have a clue about some of the ingredients, there are things I haven't the foggiest about. (and if we're being honest about it, it's probably better that I don't know...)

How do you deal with logging foods when you can't even add in the ingredients individually?

I have been losing weight so at least I'm doing something right...but I would like to have a more accurate log book if possible.

Replies

• cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually give my "best" estimate on what it is then over count on the calories just to be safe.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I usually give my "best" estimate on what it is then over count on the calories just to be safe.
    ^ this

I try to avoid going out, or at least going to places where I can fairly estimate what I eat, like sushi.
  • sparrett
    sparrett Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What type of foods are you curious about here? Usually I log each ingredient on it's own and always add extra oils to compensate for the cooking. I try to order BBQ or steamed as much as possible. I avoid mystery meat. My Fitness Pal has a surprisingly large database for Chinese food. Try looking it up on google, finding an English name for it and searching that. Or try searching the dish by adding CHINA or TAIWAN in front. I'll often find a similar "American Chinese dish" and use that in my log. Finally if you can find the name of the item in Chinese online, copy and paste that into MFP. You may be surprised what you find.

As mentioned in a previous post... always overcompensate your calories.

Good luck! Enjoy the cheap eats, but be wary of those oils.
  • acasper3
    acasper3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I usually find an American equivalent and always add about a tbsp of peanut oil for every meal. I really try to measure or cut the white rice because they give you shovels full here. I just bought a scale so that it can really help me get an idea how many grams things are when I'm out because I will be use to measuring them at home.