Healthy food choices

Options
sparrett
sparrett Posts: 23 Member
Hey Gang,

Been living in Taiwan for 2-3 years, I usually cook my own food but it's so cheap to eat out. Plus, I'm a SUCKER for dumplings. The food here is similar to China. Oil, grease, fried, and lot's of mystery. Just wanted to hear some opinions on healthy 'Chinese' food choices.

My choices would be steamed shrimp dumplings and there's a great Teppanyaki place near me that uses water instead of oil on the grill. Other than that I'm a bit lost on healthy choices. Let me hear your thoughts!

Xièxiè

Replies

• rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I like how you put it lol: "lot's of mystery". And that's exactly true. Yesterday I found myself picking off a mumbo-jumbo label to unveil the caloric information on imported pudding jars. Took me 10 minutes before I could finally read the macros. I usually then immediately add it to "My Foods" here on MFP, so I won't have to go to the trouble again.

As for eating out, I hardly visit Chinese food restaurants. It's always Indian, Thai, Sushi, Italian, or McDonalds. A little weird, since I am in China. Anyway, when ordering at a restaurant I always use my intuition. And if it's one time a week, who cares what you eat! For the days I eat at home, MFP is really a great help and I try to log as much as I can.
  • sparrett
    sparrett Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you guys have the "fish markets" or "Gam Bei" restaurants. If you don't down too many beers. BBQ Fish has to be a great option as well as some of the clear broth soups. But those vegs, over cooked and douced in oil! Can't be good.

Been feeling great. But cheated with dumplings tonight. OH SO GOOD!
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Cheats are okay once in a while. All the fish I eat is wrapped in sushi rolls. Can't stand anything that comes with bones. Oh yea, and the fish jerky from the local supermarket is a real good snack! Low in cals, high in protein and quite tasty too.
  • acasper3
    acasper3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to always let my veggies drip off in the rice and don't eat the rice. They LOVE using oil here like it's soup. Everything is swimming in it. Try to learn to say less oil please. shao3fang5 you2...I think :) They always understand. The restaurants near me don't speak any English. I wish we had Thai aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Steamed goods have a BIT fewer calories than the fried. Choi sum boiled with a bit of oyster sauce is a better option than the fried veggies. chicken is better than goose, the BBQ pork better than the deep fried pork. You know the Chinese believe the oil doesn't stay in their body because of that horrid tea that tastes like tree bark. Might be, so I drink it regularly. But basically, I know that any time I'm eating Chinese I'm going to have to take a big calorie hit so I have to be "good" before and after.