London Marathon

Options
Is anyone due to run the London Marathon in a couple of days time? Interesting that BBC news are focussing on the Boston Marathon explosions in relation to the London Marathon.

Are you still planning on running? If you are, good on you! I hope your preparations are going well and that you have a good and peaceful day for it.

xx

Replies

• ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I bet those who are running will be a bit nervous now. My husband ran the Paris Marathon just last week and I was stood waiting for him in a similar position to where the explosions occurred in Boston so I've found it quite shocking.

The people running those times have worked so hard and sacrificed so much and are usually doing it for charity. So awful. My husband and I were talking about it last night because I always worry so much about him when he does these runs because of the amount of people you see collapsing etc. He was just saying to think that it is the families that were in the most danger.

If anybody is doing the London Marathon this week good luck. I'm sure security will be extra stringent.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about Lady Thatcher's funeral tomorrow than the London marathon. I don't believe this will be a string of attacks on places doing marathons, because they would have attacked the Paris marathon too as that has a potential to be just as large, or any other of the English ones.

If I were running the marathon though, I would be very worried and I'd not let my loved ones stand near the end of the track, just in case. It would be a shame for these people to quit after all of the training they have done, but if they do not feel safe, then I think that is more important - to not do it, that is.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    Yes, I have to agree with you about this, I worry that it'll turn into an excuse to riot again especially as the media have been doing their damnedest to hype the event up. So much for responsible journalism! I would be more inclined to think that it was a domestic bombing however you never know anymore.

A feeling of real unhappiness and uncertainty in the world at the moment for all kinds of reasons... makes people very unpredictable.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have to agree with you about this, I worry that it'll turn into an excuse to riot again especially as the media have been doing their damnedest to hype the event up. So much for responsible journalism! I would be more inclined to think that it was a domestic bombing however you never know anymore.

A feeling of real unhappiness and uncertainty in the world at the moment for all kinds of reasons... makes people very unpredictable.

It's pathetic. People my age (20) were not even born at the time she was in power, so it's just a darned excuse. But I'm worried that someone is plotting a terror attack, rather than the riots - there are going to be around 2,000 odd people at the funeral - most of which are royal or of some importance - whether it be celebrity, politician etc. What a perfect opportunity to place an attack on the UK! Not to mention the kids protesting and rioting, they would be caught up in any bomb blasts too - so the death and injury toll would be huge.

I think terror plots are pretty unpredictable altogether. I mean, what kind of person disrupts a marathon? What significance does this do? Maybe the terrorist was just a very unhappy person and was so angry he or she could not compete and decided to make everyone else's lives a misery? I guess because it'd be least expected to happen there and that's why it happened. Although there was a lot of security - they were most definitely not expecting a terror attack. London shall be increasing its security for the marathon and I have no doubts how much the funeral will be secured - although will they be mainly watching for the yob's who want to cause more problems or will they now have their guard up for a terror attack? If these 'yob's' had any sense, they'd stay clear away - because if there is a terror attack, then many people will die because security will be wasted on these low-lives.

I just see something really upsetting on Facebook. Someone posted a photo with a story (I don't know how true it is) of one of the runners boyfriend, who was waiting up the other end of her - waiting for her to finish so he could propose to her. She got caught up in the blast and died, and he survived. The picture was of him cradling her body. It was horrific. I almost welled up.

Oh my god! Sorry for rambling!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My bf's parents are running. I live very close to the starting point of the race. The suspects of the Boston attack, well one was shot and the other is in Boston at the moment so the only thing I would worry about is copycat bombings. I don't think it will happen but you can't predict these things.
  • Tabytha13
    Tabytha13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck to everyone who has decided to run. I think you're all bloody brilliant! I'll be watching on the telly.

X x X x