DAY 5

Options
SCRIPTURE: LUKE 1:67-80
67 Then his father, Zechariah, was filled with the Holy Spirit and gave this prophecy:

68 “Praise the Lord, the God of Israel,
because he has visited and redeemed his people.
69 He has sent us a mighty Savior
from the royal line of his servant David,
70 just as he promised
through his holy prophets long ago.
71 Now we will be saved from our enemies
and from all who hate us.
72 He has been merciful to our ancestors
by remembering his sacred covenant—
73 the covenant he swore with an oath
to our ancestor Abraham.
74 We have been rescued from our enemies
so we can serve God without fear,
75 in holiness and righteousness
for as long as we live.

76 “And you, my little son,
will be called the prophet of the Most High,
because you will prepare the way for the Lord.
77 You will tell his people how to find salvation
through forgiveness of their sins.
78 Because of God’s tender mercy,
the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
79 to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
and to guide us to the path of peace.”

80 John grew up and became strong in spirit. And he lived in the wilderness until he began his public ministry to Israel.

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    A2D2E5F5-20F5-4583-BB88-34933861FB1B-2517-00000373A3382A5D_zps92e72272.jpg

I am getting ready to start my Bible Study w/ a cup of homemade Chai (64 cals/10 carbs/ almond-coconut milk & brown sugar. I look forward to having a specific scripture to study and share observations. I'll report back later!

5FB061B4-7699-4CB9-B899-E620542B1273-2517-00000376BA760482_zps81dbcf29.jpg
  • ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    I am getting ready to start my Bible Study w/ a cup of homemade Chai (64 cals/10 carbs/ almond-coconut milk & brown sugar. I look forward to having a specific scripture to study and share observations. I'll report back later!

Look forward to hearing from you!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    one of the things I really enjoyed here was seeing so many people filled with the Holy Spirit, not because of anything they did, but solely because God wanted to fill them with His spirit to please him - to do Hiss will.

I grew up around a lot of people that told me I wasn't filled with the HS because I never talked in tongues or did this that or the other. And I still find those parts when I read in the Bible "See, She/He didn't do XYZ and God filled them with his spirit! Just because that was his plan! Even John was filled with God's spirit while still in the womb!
  • ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    OBSERVATIONS: I do see why some in Jesus' day were confused about the prophecy, expecting a powerful king who would rule over Israel, not the humble man who was crucified. Also, there is differentiation placed upon serving God in righteousness, holiness and without fear vs how heaven is attained - through forgiveness of our sins.

APPLICATIONS: Zechariah said we would serve God without fear, I often focus on fearing God - but maybe I have been misplacing my focus? Maybe those that have accepted his son no longer need to fear? Either way, once we are saved through forgiveness of our sins, we still need to serve God with righteous ad holy behavior.

PRAYER: Lord, please help to clarify how my relationship with you should be - am I supposed to fear you? Am I supposed to remember you as a fear inspiring and wrathful God of the Old Testament? Or as a nice fuzzy, all accepting God? I know you are holy and cannot abide sin, you cannot look upon our sinful nature and be pleased because you are holy. I don't want to ignore who you are - I guess I should look to Jesus, your flesh incarnate to get a better idea of what you want from us and how you want to be viewed. Please guide me in these thoughts and answer my questions so that I might better understand and serve you. I want to serve you in a righteous and holy fashion, although immediately upon saying that I think, "I am nowhere close" - please help me to understand. Please give me comfort and reassurance as you guide me to these answers. Please forgive my sins, Lord. Thank you for your gift of salvation and sending your son, your flesh incarnate, to die for our sins so that we may join you in Heaven. In your precious son's name I pray, Amen.
  • paulaj1887
    Options
    Amen!!!:happy:
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Observation: Zacharias after being filled with the Holy Spirit began to prophecy over his son John concerning His Ministry.

Application: When a prophet is filled with the Holy Spirit and then begins to prophecy you can rest assured he is speaking the truth.

Prayer: I thank you for using this passage to answer my question about how to tell a true vs a false prophet to help me guard againist the false prophet who spoke over me in 1998. I thank you that you assured me the prophet who spoke over me at the revival service last year was not a false prophet like the other guy because he spoke and was operating in the Spirit and not in the flesh so I can rest assured what he spoke over me concerning the ministry God has for me is true. I ask your forgiveness for doubting what the prophet said was true. That all the doubts I had about this are erased.
  • kimbershep
    Options
    STUDY GUIDE FOCUS SCRIPTURE: LUKE:1:74-79

OBSERVATION:
    Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and then gave a prophecy. I totally agree that he didn't have to roll or jump around to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I do know that he didn't speak in tongues which came later. He believed. Yes, he doubted first but he ended up totally believing and being obedient. God used him again giving him a word of prophecy to share with the people regarding the prophecies of old coming to pass and that the redeemer is at hand. All the years of living in fear trying to serve Him... Those chains of bondage were about to be broken; although, they were looking at the small picture in thinking it was the Roman Empire that they would be saved from. In all actuality, sin was the biggest of their issues. Sin = death and God wanted to make sure they had life and be able to not just serve him without fear but also forever. Zechariah also had a proud moment in mentioning it was his son who would pave the way for the coming Messiah.

Serving God without fear... There are many out there today that have a heart for God but serve Him in fear because of their present situations being similar to how it was in the day of the Roman Empire.

APPLICATION:
    I will be in a continuous, thankful state knowing I don't have to tremble in fear for my life because of my religious beliefs. I will also keep in mind that sin and death was conquered and I have no reason to go back to sin.

PRAYER:
    Heavenly Father, thank you for your Son who has come that we might have life. Thank you for those true heroes of old that paved the way for Him and those who were obedient and carried His teachings out and spread it. I ask that you will help me keep all of the sacrifices in mind so that I will be even more encouraged to stand firm on God's Word. Help me to be a blessing to others and be a great witness for you and the kingdom. I pray this pray in the name of your Son Jesus Christ name, Amen.
  • CASSIEWESTSUNRISE
    CASSIEWESTSUNRISE Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Loving the world applying daily to my life thank you:flowerforyou:
  • abelair413
    Options
    76 “And you, my little son,
    will be called the prophet of the Most High,
    because you will prepare the way for the Lord.
    77 You will tell his people how to find salvation
    through forgiveness of their sins.
    78 Because of God’s tender mercy,
    the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
    79 to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
    and to guide us to the path of peace.”

Our God is a missionary God, he had but one son and he sent him out as a missionary for the people so that we may hear the the Lord's Gospel and be saved. He reaches out to us so that we may continue spreading his word through missionary work.

Isaiah 6:8
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying" Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

We are all the Lord's missionaries and must continue spread his word so that we all may be saved.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thankful that I don't have to live in fear of death and Hell. I know that when Jesus shed His blood on the cross it gave me life in heaven with Him and I have accepted that eternal gift. Thank you God for your son and His love and mercy.