Organic

Options
Fit_Housewife
Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
I was wondering if everyone has been eating only organic food, meat, produce? I try to but organic when possible but sometimes things are just not available. Trader Joes is an hour away but I do try to do my shopping there. I am planning to start Monday and I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it up. Just wondering if anyone's been successful using mostly or partially organic food?

Thanks so much

Replies

• michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been buying the dirty dozen organic. I buy nitrate free and antibiotic free as much as I can. But I can't afford the rest organic :( I'm still spending more than usual just with the amount of food I'm supposed to eat.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I bought the sprout bread and two boxes of vegan tomato soup and nitrate fee turkey and cost me $25!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't afford to keep buying organic. I did find nitrate free deli turkey at Walmart for a whole lot less than the whole foods store. I think I will continue to buy the sprout bread at the whole food store. I'm the only one eating it, so I keep in in the freezer and only take out what I need to thaw, so it should last a while for me. So far this plan is working with out being totally organic. Oh, I did buy organic eggs at Walmart too. I haven't made it to Trader Joe's either to see what they have and if maybe the sprout bread is less expensive there.
  • Phatchick777
    Options
    I am eating mostly organic and I get it at Trader Joes. I only go to Whole Foods if I have to. Trader Joes is much cheaper. BUT, the other day I went to the fruit market and bought some things that were not organic and had those. You have to do what you have to do. I believe non-organic produce is fine as long as you clean the chemicals off the skin.

Speaking of vegan tomato soup...I was surprised how hard that was to find. Trader Joes didnt have it so I had to get that at Whole Foods. It was on sale tho.

I am saving lots of money not going to Starbuck so i guess it really is a wash.

hugs,

Sharon
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend that's doing this plan with me and she found sprouted bread at Kroger and she said there was more of a selection of organic foods there. I don't know if any of you have Kroger where you are, I live in Indiana near the border of Kentucky.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, I was able to find the bread and mostly everything else organic except for ground beef or ground chicken. So I'll just have to do it 90% organic. There's a lot of Science behind this and I just didn't want to through anything off.

Thanks so much :)
  • webweaver321
    Options
    Like most of you, I cannot afford 100% organic. An organic cucumber was $3 EACH!! That's crazy. The dirty dozen definitely get purchased organic as well as eggs, chicken and beef. A few years ago my doctor (who practices alternative medicine), had me do a diet specifically for my adrenals. He stressed the importance of eating mostly organic because the chemicals and hormones that are ound in our food fool the body into thinking it does not have to produce certain hormones and release certain chemicals that the body naturally makes. Because of this, the organs begin to suffer and weight loss goes right in the toilet. I did lose 50 pounds on this diet and felt great.

FOR ME, I know I just feel better when I can do mostly organic. I just wish it were easier financially. Perhaps if more of us did purchase organic, the price would go down. Im going to look into co-ops and organic clubs. There must be something out there other than the grocery stores. In the meantime, I just do what I can and don't freak out if I cannot.