Food is not God

Options
runboostie
runboostie Posts: 51 Member
Seems obvious, but I just discovered it! I turn to food when I should turn to prayer, when I should turn to Christ. Who knew that idolatry was so simple?!!!

Replies

• MissMeaganLyn
    MissMeaganLyn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow, never thought of this but it is so true. All the times I turn to food I could be turning to prayer to ease my soul. Thank you :-)
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    you know I do the same thing. I was also not aware of that either. we can help each other to change it.
  • lncgurley
    lncgurley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did a study called "Made to Crave" and it covers that topic so well. I was so stressed yesterday I actually prayed and apologized for taking comfort in food, and not taking the time out to lay my worries at His feet, it is so good you are aware of that!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Seems obvious, but I just discovered it! I turn to food when I should turn to prayer, when I should turn to Christ. Who knew that idolatry was so simple?!!!

{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}

That The Lord would show you/us this is so wonderful, you are BLESSED!!!!

If you do a bible study on Food, Belly, Stomach, gluttony, greed...honey, it will BLOW your mind. When I read your post--this Scripture came to my mind:

Philippians 3:18-19
    Amplified Bible (AMP)
    18 For there are many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, who walk (live) as enemies of the cross of Christ (the Anointed One).

19 They are doomed and their fate is eternal misery (perdition); their god is their stomach (their appetites, their sensuality) and they glory in their shame, siding with earthly things and being of their party.

OR

Philippians 3:18-19
    King James Version (KJV)
    18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Also, their there a tremendous bible study that REALLY exposes how much we "worship and serve" our bellies and food--far more than God. It is very Grace based and is called:

Thin Within and Thin Within bible study--just tremendous...here's a link:

Thin Within: A Grace-oriented Approach to Lasting Weight Loss by Judy Halliday and Dr. Arthur Halliday

http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Within-Grace-oriented-Approach-Lasting/dp/0849908469/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Wow. This is way too true.
  • CASSIEWESTSUNRISE
    CASSIEWESTSUNRISE Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree:heart: Thanks
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Very true! And when our bellies are full, the shame moves in! :embarassed:
  • losingweight12345
    Options
    WOW!! Great Scripture!! Food for thought,next time I am upset or bored I am going to turn to prayer. I am breaking another old habit. Thank You :)
  • christiandjoel
    christiandjoel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Buying the book suggested ^^....thank you! :)
  • tlbohnert
    tlbohnert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting and opening my eyes. I do also, use food in a wrong manner.
    I know that God can be what I need to get thru all of this and more.
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Oh... oh wow. This is way too true. And for me, too easy to do. I am soooo guilty of this. :* (