To eat or not to eat????

Options
nicf76
nicf76 Posts: 50 Member
I am wondering what the group does about eating the extra exercise calories earned? I am usually really hungry and 1600 calories just doesn't seem like enough. This is confusing to me and I don't want to stall any progress!

Replies

• Dorianlg
    Dorianlg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For one thing, I am of the school that if you are actually hungry, you should eat. I mean, first make sure you're not thirsty or tired, but if you're hungry, and super extra definitely if you have calories you earned from exercise, then you should eat.

I try not to eat back all of them, but I go over other days, so it's more of a balancing precaution. If you're going to be exercising a lot, then you want to make sure you're getting all the protein and carbs you need to keep yourself running and energized.

I say try eating them back, or certainly eat until you're sated, and see what happens. If you don't lose the way you want to, then cut back.
  • KathleenSweetie
    KathleenSweetie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was curious too and found an answer given by AmyRhubarb on January 16, 2013 in "Fitness and Exercise" message board that I think explains your question very well:

"MFP is set up so that you are supposed to eat those calories back. You're daily goal is already at a deficit, so if you eat to that amount and don't do any exercise, you'll still lose weight. Add exercise and it creates an even larger deficit, and then you risk under eating, no energy for workouts, and over a period of time, giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it."
  • nicolie81587
    nicolie81587 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat back around 50-75% usually, but I don't usually eat it all back unless I have a craving or something like that. If I am craving something, and I've worked out, then I feel like I have earned it. I (try) not to go crazy with it though.
  • Unaisha8
    Unaisha8 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try to balance 5-6 meals a day around your calorie intake and drink a glass of water before you eat something so that you won't be tempted to have second servings.
  • nicf76
    nicf76 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, it is all so confusing sometimes!