no chat about the current series?

Options
Carfoodel
Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
I keep popping on here to see the chatter on the latest series and no-one has posted anything yet - so I assume it isn't available across the Pond yet? I am loving it so far and already counting the days to my next Saturday evening fix :)

Replies

• phoenix7039
    Options
    I religiously watch the new episodes on Saturday nights as well. I haven't decided what I think about the new story line yet. I like Clara but am still missing the Ponds and River Song. Curious to see where it's all going.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oh, wouldn't think of missing a Saturday night ..... the submarine episode was ok ..... the ghost one was great, although I had to watch the ending about six times .....

The Doctor is trying to figure Clara out ..... and so am I :smile:
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    No it plays here in Canada the same night it does in the UK. Even 4 years later I'm still undecided about Matt Smith as doctor, I do like Clara for the most part and for me, anything other than Amy Bloody Pond would have been an improvement. I know she was very popular, but I felt she took over the show too much. Sometimes I felt it should have been the Amy Pond Show....
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I loved the new episode. It's the first one of the 7B episodes that I've really, really enjoyed. We actually watched it alone to screen it for the kids since the trailer looked like it might be a bit scary for them (ages 6 and 8, rabid fans of the Doctor). The sci-fi twist explanation was terrific.

I still haven't warmed to Clara. Loved her in the Snowmen but they're hammering in this "ordinary girl" concept so much that she just seems bland to me. I said it before on another thread, I loved the Ponds, and I really want to like Clara. I was so excited to have her as the new companion. I just wish she'd blossom already.

Even though my 6 year old and I are fighting over who gets to marry David Tennant (sorry Georgia), I think Matt Smith is such an amazing Doctor. Especially in tonight's episode. His body language and utterances just scream "eccentric old man". I don't know how he does it. His physical acting is what really breathes life into the role.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think Clara does seem a bit flat but I do agree that she is not taking over the eps like Amy did, it's the overconfidence that Amy showed (that you also saw in Rose) that is missing from Clara - but you can see wee glimmers so I am sure it won't be long until she comes into her own.

I have loved the eps so far and the ghost one slightly more than the sub. Journey to the centre of the tardis looks like it is going to be fun - they always mention the swimming pool and how the tardis changes - so looking forward to it. :)
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I still haven't warmed to Clara. Loved her in the Snowmen but they're hammering in this "ordinary girl" concept so much that she just seems bland to me. I said it before on another thread, I loved the Ponds, and I really want to like Clara. I was so excited to have her as the new companion. I just wish she'd blossom already.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about her. I was so ready to love her from the Dalek episode, but now I just want Dalek Clara back. She was such a better version of the character.
  • jamieralph
    jamieralph Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've talked about it a bit on another thread. Think I might have to chat about it on here too. :)
  • jamieralph
    Options
    Ok so my thoughts on Series 7b so far. So far I prefer Series 7a but I think that could change as we've had a few good episodes lately and we've got Neil Gaiman writing the Cybermen to come!! Squee.

1) The Bells of St John - Was ok. Good to see the GI come back and the bells of St John ref made me laugh.
    2) The Rings of Akhaten - Other than the visual aspect (although the aliens in the marketplace/stadium looked rubbish) I didn't really care for this one.
    3) Cold War - The Ice Warrior looked amazing until he stepped out of his armour. The tension in this episode was god though.
    4) Hide - Loved this episode, it looked amazing (esp the pocket universe) and I loved the way the 'ghost' was explained. Just a shame they ruined it with the monster romance.
    5) Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS - Loved how many Doctor Who references were crammed into this episode. Can we chat about this one yet? Got loads to talk about but as it only aired last night I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Ok so my thoughts on Series 7b so far. So far I prefer Series 7a but I think that could change as we've had a few good episodes lately and we've got Neil Gaiman writing the Cybermen to come!! Squee.

1) The Bells of St John - Was ok. Good to see the GI come back and the bells of St John ref made me laugh.
    2) The Rings of Akhaten - Other than the visual aspect (although the aliens in the marketplace/stadium looked rubbish) I didn't really care for this one.
    3) Cold War - The Ice Warrior looked amazing until he stepped out of his armour. The tension in this episode was god though.
    4) Hide - Loved this episode, it looked amazing (esp the pocket universe) and I loved the way the 'ghost' was explained. Just a shame they ruined it with the monster romance.
    5) Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS - Loved how many Doctor Who references were crammed into this episode. Can we chat about this one yet? Got loads to talk about but as it only aired last night I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I'll be watching this one later today, I pick it up from iTunes as I can't stand the editing that happens when they make room for all the adverts here in Canada, completely ruins the flow of the programme :( Get back to you later... Looks like a good episode though..
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Oooh, this past Crimson thing was awesome !!!!

Watched the Snowman one again ...... things are starting to sink in now ......

blehhhh_zps20e39f3b.gif
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    This was easily my favorite ep of 7b. The continuing theme of "I don't give a *kitten* about Clara" has continued for me, but luckily I was spoiled by all the Vastra, Jenny & Strax to even notice her. The scene with the kids at the end was a little ridiculous and their research seemed forced. I was so happy last episode then the Doctor finally admitted that Clara is just an ordinary girl (cause golly, they've been hammering it home to the rest of us for several eps now). Then of course that day never happened in the end, so my joy was short lived.

I'm sorry, I didn't think I would be such a Clara hater, as I thought she was going to be fantastic. Alas, I find her to be a snooze.

Can't get enough out of Madame Vastra & Co though - they are a terrific ensemble!
  • verptwerp
    Options
    @ southpaw

I'm getting used to Clara ...... what choice do I have ??

Just love Vastra, Jenny and Strax ...... I even put my laptop down to watch this latest episode :laugh:
  • jamieralph
    Options
    I liked it but still not feeling this half series. Expecting big things on Saturday with it being Neil Gaiman's episode (he's my favourite author and his last Doctor Who story was glorious).
  • weefreemen
    Options
    I mostly enjoyed this episode, but I really like Strax, Jenny and Vastra. It overall felt very much like a Sherlock episode, which considering it was written by Gatiss is not surprising...

I agree with everyone here, Clara is getting old really quickly. I really preferred her as the Victorian Nanny, she had a bit more grit to her. I see we are getting a new exec director on Doctor Who as well, so maybe this is signalling the conclusion to Matt Smith and Steven Moffat....
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I liked the "throwback" quote (a hat tip to Doctor 5) when the Doctor said "Brave Heart, Clara", but aside from that, wasn't too thrilled with the latest episode. I'm just wondering if Clara is going to become the star of a spin-off kid series to fill the gap left by the end of the Sarah Jane Adventures. Seeing her there at the end as the Nanny to the kids, and seeing how unfazed the kids are by the whole idea of aliens and time travel, as though they want to be a part of it as well, I really get a strong feeling that a spin off is in the works.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Interesting thought about the spinoff for Clara, intriguing idea and it certainly kind of fits with the way it ended this last episode. Love the ticker by the way, Edinburgh Castle, beautiful city...
  • misspenfold
    misspenfold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've not been too fussed about 7b to be honest. I didn't like Victorian Clara in the christmas special, but everyone seemed to love her online so I told myself to give her more time, but apart from the Ice Warrior episode - where she actually seemed phased/freaked out/scared by what she was seeing - she really hasn't grown on me at all. Hopefully with the finale this weekend I may change my mind about her.

I will say though, that although I'm not impressed with Clara so far, I don't actually find myself missing Amy, or even Rory. I think in general I'm just sort of "meh" about this run.

The Crimson Horror was all sorts of awesome though. Really loved that episode.