SOS: Shout out Sundays 4/21/2013

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Okay, share the good and bad and lessons learned this week! i have so much to tell ya'll about what I learned about myself on this trip I went on! Whew!

Give your truest thoughts..no judgement just sharing and experiences!

Peace, WW

Replies

• garlic7girl
    Options
    Okay, going on the training I learned a lot #1 about asthma but also how obesity makes asthma worse and also how folks with exercise induced asthma think they cannot exercise but yes they can and it is encouraged! That was cool.
    But I also learned some personal things:
    1. Since I was near the training site I could walk to hotel. Wow....my life is consumed by traffic. I am so drained from all the traffic here.
    Since I could walk back and forth from hotel I DID HAVE ENERGY!!!!!!!! I exercised greatly and with energy instead of dread. Even with being tired!
    2. TO snack or not to snack. I was so ravenous while I was there...I realized I was so hungry that I didn't have access to all my snacks that I do here. I always try to make my snacks healthy...keeps me from being so hungry but yet if I don't eat them I might lose some weight! LOL! Decisions.....
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Okay, going on the training I learned a lot #1 about asthma but also how obesity makes asthma worse and also how folks with exercise induced asthma think they cannot exercise but yes they can and it is encouraged! That was cool.

I can attest to this, I was diagnosed asthmatic three years ago (same time I was diagnosed with food allergies) food and exercise both can trigger asthma attacks in me, my pulmonary function as of this past week is at 82% I'm also 6 lbs heavier than I was when it was last tested almost 6 months ago (at 89%), my pulmonary function shifts with my weight and I can feel the difference when exercising or even walking from my parking space to my condo (my building is at the base of the U for how the lot is set up and my space is at the tip and I live on the second floor-stairs all the way!) But that being said, my doctor actively encourages me to exercise and even though her specialty is allergy/asthma she has been very involved in my weight loss (more so than my primary) and trying to find a way for me to lose weight.
    I have days when I have a horrible time breathing when I exercise, especially when it's really humid out but I know on those days to take it a little slower and give myself a chance to catch my breath when I need to.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Wow! Yes and they talked of how weather can influence asthma greatly! You just helped solidify what I learned esp with those dreaded function test numbers and formulas! UGH!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma as long as I can remember. It's sad that asthmatics don't think they can exercise, but they just haven't been given the right info and tools.

I had to learn how to mow the lawn and not trigger an attack. It's much easier now, but I still don't like mowing :ohwell:
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am learning I can say no and follow through. Tonight I may have eaten more than my fair share of cookies but I did resist eating Sonic.
  • tessavonhagen
    tessavonhagen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i also have asthma and although i have bad days i try to push through because i know every bit more i workout the healthier i get and the less i have issues. having issues today though.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    They thought I might have asthma as a baby but I never actually had any attacks and I never thought anything about it has a kid or an adult. I have only one memory of a really hard time - hiking up the Bright Angel Trail from the bottom of the Grand Canyon was really rough when I was 27. When I moved to Denver - this is my 3rd time living at a mile high elevation and it is the first time I'm diagnosed as having asthma. I don't take medicine for it. I hate the idea of that – I’ve heard some really negative stuff about the ones with steroids (weight gain issues). I mostly have a tough time when I run outside. So, I feel like I'm more exercise induced then actual asthma. But sometimes I wonder. Climbing up the stairs at work (3rd floor) is always breath catching. I also sometimes find jumping jacks (more than 80 at one time) to be a challenge. And I also know that if I will just run more and work my lungs more and lose weight, it may get better. Thank goodness I have never smoked.

This whole thing about eating well and taking care of your body – it’s been a big journey for me ever since I left home. I didn’t have good lessons at home as a kid. And I try really hard to pass the knowledge I learn and the good practices on to my kids. One very recent aha moment for me and my son; due to a recent bad judgment call on his part, he now has to exercise if he wants to watch TV. Wow – he ran for 30 minutes yesterday so that he could gain 2 hours of TV time. I told him that’s now a permanent thing. But he’s starting to push again with the food choices. He LOVES fruit and would happily eat 6 servings a day. That seems good, right? Better than candy but it’s still a fast sugar and I would rather he was eating veggies. It’s a work in progress.