Do you eat your exercise calories pregnant mamas?

Options
So I'm just getting back to my healthy eating and exercise the last few days and I'm wondering if you ladies eat the extra calories you earn due to exercise. Like today I earned 411 calories because I did 40 minutes of strength training and a 40 minute walk pushing my son in the stroller and walking the dog in 88 degree temps! I feel like over 2200 calories is too much. What do you ladies think?

Replies

• jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised much lately but if I do I at least try to eat them back b/c if not I feel like I won't be consuming enough for the pregnancy. Also when I exercise I get a lot more hungry anyway so it's pretty easy for me to eat them back.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I try to! I think burning more calories means your body needs to eat more.
  • nchacin02
    Options
    I burned over 400 calories today. I ate 1950 calories and my doc said I need a minimum of 1800 a day...so I feel like that's ok. And I'm not hungry...but I hope I'm eating enough. I'm supposed to eat an additional 300 something calories today and don't feel like I can eat that much more even if I wanted to! I asked my doctor for a nutritionist consultation so I'm definitely going to ask them about it!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I also try to but if it doesn't happen I don't sweat it!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you burned those 400 calories though, it's like you're really only consuming 1550....I usually eat most of mine back. If there are days when I feel too full to eat them back, there are other days during the week when I go over a little. So it all balances out....even 1800 seems very low to me....but then again it all depends on your metabolism/height/weight. I'm sure the consultation with the nutritionist will help you out a lot!
  • nchacin02
    Options
    You're right! I've definitely gotta talk to the nutritionist. But I don't know how soon I'll get in. In the meantime, I will eat so I'm not ever hungry and if I need to eat my exercise calories I will. If not, it will even out on some days when I go over! :-)
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do for the most part, but sometimes when I am not hungry I don't... other days I go over calories if I am hungry and I think it all works itself out :) Just eat when you are hungry. You also have to remember that wearing a HR monitor is the best way to know how many calories you actually burned. When you use the pre-programmed ones in here they could be off.... again, do what your body tells you!
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I do, but I agree that even if you don't eat them all back, it will even out. I ate over my calories a LOT in weeks 20+, but now in the 30s I'm usually under b/c I'm getting full easier. Just listen to your body and you will be fine.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. I think it's far more important to have three healthy meals a day, perhaps with healthy snacks. I think nutritional content is more important than number of calories, so if I've eaten well I don't worry so much about whether I've met today's calorie quota or not. Meals will need to be smaller as baby takes up more room, but eating a well balanced small meal is more important still than eating a higher calorie meal. I also take prenatal vitamins to be sure (cover all bases!), but generally if I feel healthy and full of energy I don't worry about eating all the calories.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do not eat them back because they are alreadfy factored into my calorie goal. I eat at TDEE + 200 calories for the second trimester. This puts me at 2200 per day no matter my workout schedule. If I had a burn well over 400 I would eat more because it would probably put me into a higher activity level.

I have no problem eating these calories though and often wish I had more. I eat a lot of avacado and coconut oil and other calorie dense, but heathy foods. :)
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have my calorie goal set at the lowest because I love adding in exercise calories and seeing the number go up. I usually eat half of them back at least. Then in my mind I have "banked" some cals for the weekend if I need. (Old WW theory lol) When I had my exercise cals factored in on my daily goal I usually went over. So, to answer, yes I do!
  • nchacin02
    Options
    Erin, I LOVE my HR monitor! I know I burned the 411 because of it! :-) Its awesome! I did end up having a snack before bed because I felt a tiny tinge of hunger so I wasn't gonna go to bed like that! :-)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What other reason is there to excercise? :)