Diet help pls

Options
Hello MFPers,

This is the first time I've posted but I have been lurking around for a while.

My story is probably quite similar to a lot of people on here. I thought getting fit and looking good meant long cardio sessions and dieting but after stumbling on SL talk on the form I decided to give it a go and love it and even though I'm only a few weeks in I've noticed a real change in my body.

I'm not trying to lose weight - I'm a little over 5' 10" and weigh 66kg (145lbs) - but I am trying to strip down my body fat. I was measured in a BodPod last week and horrified to find out I have a body fat percentage of 28%! Eek!

I've worked SL in to my weekly routine and cycle in and out of work averaging about 75 miles a week. When I had my body fat % measured the lady also worked out my BMR as 1400 kcals/ day and my TDEE as 2766 kcals/ day.

This is quite a lot of calories for me as I'm not used to working this amount in but realise I have to if I want to shred down that body fat percentage!

I'd be really grateful if anyone could give me tips for meals, snacks or any links to decent weight training diets they have found.

Also I'd like to know if protein shakes are the way to go re: upping calories or whether I should fit in more 'real food'.

Thanks in advance
Miche

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    There's really no "weight training diet" (healthy diet is healthy, for anybody) but you should aim for about 100g of protein or more a day if you're lifting heavy to help your muscle recovery (about 1g of protein per gram of lean body mass). I'm 5'10" and I aim for somewhere around 125g of protein a day, and I do well on that. I'm pretty focused on making sure I eat yogurt, cheese, meat, etc. and I sneak protein powder into my daily iced coffee also. Also, low-fat chocolate milk makes for a fabulously tasty after-workout recovery shake. :smile:

There's nothing wrong with protein shakes, but "real food" is obviously better if you can do it. Depends on your budget and taste preferences, really. We have some threads around here discussing protein if you care to look. Keep it simple and find something that works for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/959359-i-think-i-ve-finally-figured-it-out-sadly

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Actually Eat, Train, Progress would be a great group for you to post in when it comes to body recomposition. They're very knowledgeable over there.
  • miche_ma_biche
    miche_ma_biche Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the swift reply Dani. I definitely need to up my protein intake, think I might try sneaking some protein powder into my diet to help.

Thanks for the links too, I'll have a read and jump over to the Eat, Train, Progress group too.

Cheers
    M
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It might take a while, but lifting will definitely change your body composition. And Dani is right - healthy is healthy is healthy. I try to aim for about 80% real food and 20% processed over the course of a week (personally, all my processed intake comes from chocolate. :smile: ). Eating is something you have to do everyday, so enjoy it, try to get some protein in everytime you eat, and lift -the rest will take care of itself.

As for snacks: Beef jerky (if you eat meat), nuts, cheese sticks, greek yogurt (go for plain and add your own sweeteners/flavorings), hard boiled eggs, etc.

This weekend I was out of town and had limited access to cooking facilities. I went to a Whole Foods and found Vega brand sport protein bars - no soy, no dairy, no gluten - but seriously tasty (they use pea protein). As far as a 'packaged' food goes, they were just about perfect - no HFCS, no weird preservatives, all 'whole' food ingredients. Very handy for an in-a-pinch snack.

And if you cook at all (heck, even if you don't), your slow cooker is your friend. It's an easy way to make a large volume of a protein-based dish (e.g. Mexican chicken and beans) that will last you throughout the week.

And, if you are going to try to hit that much protein, up your fruit and vegetable intake -your body will need the fiber! :smile:
  • miche_ma_biche
    miche_ma_biche Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Kirabob. I bought some protein powder so have managed to up significantly - definitely know what you mean about having more fruit and veg for the fibre too!!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    also, 28% is bang in 'healthy' - what are you aiming for?! remember, no fat = no boobs! :)