Racing twice in a day - nutrition.

Options
Of course I have some thoughts of my own, but... for those who have raced what would you recommend as nourishment between races? They are both 20 milers without significant hill climbs. The first is 11am the second is 230pm. What are the groups thoughts and recommendations? Probably, it would be good to consider both 1.) before the first race AND 2.) between the two races. Thanks.

Replies

• dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    I would like to add that although I am not really against prepared nutritional products I would kind of prefer food made myself, and real foods from the grocery like bananas, etc... Thanks.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    So depending on your speed, your schedule goes something like this:

11:00 - 12:00 race
    12:00 - 2:30 rest, eat, warm up again
    2:30 - 3:30 race

What kind of race are we talking here? Criterium, road race, time trial, mountain bike... steady pace, lots of sprints, reacting to others...

What do you normally eat right before really intense intervals or races? (that your stomach can tolerate without you getting sick) Have you ever done a 40 mile race before?
  • dtpss188
    Options
    This is called a circuit race, basically somewhat a crit. It is a 1.6 mile loop, 12 laps. My stomach is pretty rugged so I don't have to worry too much about it getting upset. I have only raced 3 times so my base of experience is not huge in terms of pre race meals. What I have done in the past, and has worked pretty well, is oatmeal and blueberries when I get up (maybe 6 or 7 am) and a banana or apple driving to the event. My morning coffee, and often sipping a power ade on the way. I popped some Gatorade energy gels prior to yesterday's event (very short, ,approx. 60 minute race) and don't know if it helped or not. But basically, I kept decent energy yesterday for that event, the pedal was to the metal, I was happy with my energy. With that said, yesterday's race was absolutely without rest in that there was no drafting, I was alone the whole way, several rollers and one major, major climb. The upcoming event (in which I will race for just under one hour, have 2 1/2 hours rest, then duplicate the first race) will have one fairly easy ascent (perhaps 75 feet total) that will be encountered each lap. I anticipate that there will be a peloton if you will, so lots of drafting opportunities. Basically, this may not be as grueling as yesterday, but again that depends on the pace of these Cat 5 riders (and older master's mixed in). So, what are your thought on between races? Carbs, electrolytes? PBJ and banana sandwich, cold pasta, bagel, bananas? I'm looking to restore glycogen, get sugar in the bloodstream.... I know fatigue will be there during the second race, but everyone will be in the same boat. Basically, I don't want to bonk. Thoughts? Thanks for your input, Cyclink.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Pre-race for me is pretty simple:

-2:30 to 3:00: 2-2.5c of unsweetened applesauce, banana, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 bottle of sports drink (I like Skratch)
    -0:15: caffeinated gel, 8oz water
    Race

To get sugar back in the bloodstream you need simple, simple sugars. Fruit is a good choice as are a Powerbar or something all while sipping on sports drink. I'd also avoid anything high in fiber as it can cause GI issues.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Forgot to answer your final question. I did a 40 mile road race before. It feature numerous long and repeated hills, pretty brutal. I faired well, but was completely spent at the end, much like I should be I guess, it ended with a long climb and there was nothing left for a sprint, LOL.

I would anticipate that the circuit race will have some surges, with some potential for inexperienced riders who might leap ahead too hard, or get dropped if anxious about riding the pack. Overall I'm guessing the pace will lean more towards faster but steady with the stronger riders trying to use the hill to separate from the weaker.
  • Cyclink
    Options
    There are two problems here:
    1) refueling from the second race
    2) fueling for the second race

Keep in mind that some people can play tactics: sit in the pack and rest as much as they can and then just nail it in the last few miles. Doing that, the nutrition won't be as important as for someone who is in a breakaway and nailing it the whole race. It's going to depend a lot on your goals in the races and what your plans are for them.

It's almost impossible to say "eat this between races" without knowing exactly what you did in the first race. You will need enough carbs to replace the muscle glycogen that you burned off and a little protein will help speed up the absorption and repair so that you can get at least a little bit back in time for the second race.

I'd probably try to eat something as close to the end of the first race as possible just to get something in your system and then a little more closer to the second race so that you're not hungry during the race. With two 1-hour races that close together, if you are pushing at or above threshold a lot you could burn through the muscle glycogen that you have stored and then you're screwed.

Another factor is the course and how you handle it. If it's got a lot of turns and you have to brake and accelerate each time, you'll burn a lot more than if you can smoothly roll through each one at full speed (which is also affected by where you are in the pack). If you are just sitting in the pack for both races and not working very hard, then your only concern is not getting hungry.

I guess that's my long and convoluted way of saying that without knowing your goals and plans, it's really hard to say.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Cyclink, perhaps without knowing it, you said a lot. Your information is very useful to me. Scott also some good food for thought, and I'm with you on the fructose just prior and like the idea of applesauce.

I'm not sure that I can say for sure what my strategy will be since I've never been on the course and I am very new to racing (infant stages actually.) What strategy I do have includes conserve energy, but at the same time avoid falling behind to any signiicant degree, hopefully I can meet both goals. And, if I can kick the *kitten* of the guy in front of me, I'll be doing that. If it's my *kitten* that gets kiced, so be it!

Tell ya what, I'll try to remember to return to this thread and post you all on some results after Sunday's event. If anyone else has 2 cents, I'm willing to listen.
  • Cyclink
    Options
    If you don't have it already, the Thomas Prehn book on Cycling Racing Tactics is really good.

I've done a dozen or so road races & crits (enough to get my Cat 4 upgrade and then a few extras) and believe me: no two ever turn out the same, especially in the lower categories where most people don't know how to race smart. I was lucky enough to make it into the winning breakaway once and I'll never forget that day :-)
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Let me tell ya, if I end up in a winning break away i don't think I would ever forget it either. I am really pumped for this, especially since there will be some real challenges to be face.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    1) Two to three hours before first race I eat a Starbucks oatmeal with everything (about 350 slow burn calories). Easy to find anywhere I travel to race. Nice slow burn that does not fill you up. Prior to first race I take one GU (with Caffeine) and drink a half a bottle of Skratch while warming up.

2) Between races I eat a cinnamon raisin english muffin with a dab of peanut butter and honey, maybe a Cliff Bar and finish the Skratch. Drink another bottle of water or crystal light. Another GU just before the start of the second race.

After the races a big water bottle of Muscle Milk, and a recovery drink. Neither of the races you list are long enough to worry about serious eating, hydration will be more of an issue. Make sure you drink between races.

I do this almost every weekend from late January until beginning of September. Most days travel is a couple of hours so it is nice to know Starbucks is open early and it is the same food no matter where I buy it. No, I don't like the oatmeal but it is hot and fills the nutritional needs.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    The event in question with this thread was yesterday, first the results.

Race one went just fine for 3 laps then I was involved in a crash. I didn't go down but I was stopped, my bike got whacked, and I lost some time getting straightened out and going again. By then the peloton was out of sight. I spent the rest of the race chasing. Some might have quit to save energy for race number 2, but I'm hard headed so I hammered away, caught a few people but never saw the peloton again.

Race two I remained with the peloton and realized why I never caught them in race one. That group was flying and worked well. Plenty of surges, some of them mine, and a lot of challenging on the uphill portion. Basically, it was a ton of fun. I finished 8th place and our flight, which was comprised of several categories, had about 50. So I can't complain.

Nutritionally, which was why I started this, I think things went well. I actually felt as good for race 2 as for race 1, it really wasn't a big deal.

Early am I had two eggs and a slice of wheat toast. Just before leaving the house I had steel cut oats and blueberries (this was about 2 1/2 hours before race time). Tons of water and I was peeing like a racehorse up to the race.

Immediately after race one I had a PBJ sandwich, a banana, a G2, more water. Just prior to racing I had one powerbar energy gel. Between the races I relaxed and rested with a 2 mile warmup before hand. This seemed to work for me and I was asked to join one of the racing teams.

For any of you who have a competitive spirit, consider bike racing, it is awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. I did have the applesauce on hand too, but forgot about it.