I'm new :D

Options
Hi everyone! I'm katie...

Im new to being gluten free and to posting here at myftnesspal....I hope i can learn a bunch from everyone because i just did my first grocery shopping trip today and it was not fun! Well i guess thats all for now :D

Replies

• kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten-free for 12 years ... my diary is open to friends. If you would find any benefit to seeing what a gluten-free "lifer" eats every day, please feel free to add me. Boy, oh boy, I wish I'd had this resource 12 years ago!!
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie! I just went gluten free on February 1st and yes, those first few shopping trips were so hard! It does get easier though I'm still learning. :) Feel free to add me if you're interested.
  • sadkins143
    sadkins143 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new as well (to GF and MFP). Just went GF a few weeks ago. I'm not a celiac, but find that my allergies have almost gone now and I just feel better in general since making the change. I'm following (loosely) the Blood Type Diet and my blood type (O) should be GF. Anyone should feel free to add me so we can cheer each other on! :smile:
  • michcat17
    michcat17 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello - I was diagnosed with Celiac 3 years ago and my son was diagnosed 6 mo after I was. It's been a lifestyle change, that's for sure. Sadkins143 - Blood Type Diet? Never heard of it....

Anyone have any good recipes that a picky husband would like? ha
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Excuse me for making a sweeping generalization, but when I'm cooking GF for men, or other picky eaters I stick with the stereotypical basics. Meat and potatoes. I don't know any man or picky eater who will turn down a nice steak and baked potato. Add in a veg of their choosing and you've got a winning meal. For dessert you could do a flourless chocolate cake, GF ice cream, or make GF chocolate chip cookies.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    welcome I am fairly new here also .. GF since February... I am also vegan diary is open comments and suggestions and friends are welcome...
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    In general, shop the outside perimeter of the store. Gordon's has fish fillets that are gluten free and a staple for me. In the frozen food section. I leave my cart in the perimeter the few times I go into the aisles of the store, for chex cereal, nature valley protein bar (to carry in my purse ONLY in case I get caught somewhere at mealtime), coffee, etc. Watch the additives- caramel color is NOT gluten free and it made me sick for two days! MSG is not. I live alone, so the only time it is really a problem for me is eating out/ social activities. Indian food is usually gluten free IF you skip the bread (naan). They use chick pea flour in most things like samosa.
  • sadkins143
    Options
    Hello - I was diagnosed with Celiac 3 years ago and my son was diagnosed 6 mo after I was. It's been a lifestyle change, that's for sure. Sadkins143 - Blood Type Diet? Never heard of it....

Anyone have any good recipes that a picky husband would like? ha

michcat17 - there is a book called "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" by Peter D'Adamo. A coworker told me about it. She lost over 70 pounds and has maintained her weight for over 10 years following the diet for her blood type. If that isn't a success story, then I don't know what is and I want that kind of success!! lol

I'm just starting so I'm making small changes here and there, but the biggest was being GF. I've been doing well, but I love to bake and GF baking scares me so I've not attempted it yet. lol I will, but I think I will wait until after I've gotten a bit more of this weight off!
  • sadkins143
    Options
    In general, shop the outside perimeter of the store. Gordon's has fish fillets that are gluten free and a staple for me. In the frozen food section. I leave my cart in the perimeter the few times I go into the aisles of the store, for chex cereal, nature valley protein bar (to carry in my purse ONLY in case I get caught somewhere at mealtime), coffee, etc. Watch the additives- caramel color is NOT gluten free and it made me sick for two days! MSG is not. I live alone, so the only time it is really a problem for me is eating out/ social activities. Indian food is usually gluten free IF you skip the bread (naan). They use chick pea flour in most things like samosa.

My husband and I have just stared with using only the perimeter of the store too. Thanks for the tips...I did not know caramel color was not GF. I've found my local market is starting to carry more GF items (frozen and otherwise), so that helps a bit. I'm taking much longer at the market though because I'm constantly reading labels.