How far along do I look (profile picture)?

Options
I went to the ER and the doctor estimated 7 weeks but he is an ER doctor not an OBGYN. I feel and look much further along than 7 weeks. I meet with my OBGYN for the first time tomorrow. How far along do you think I look?

Replies

• angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'm sure the er doctor wouldn't be far off. But I didn't think you would be showing all at 7 weeks and I was under the impression being that I weigh 180 that I won't show as quick as someone who is 120..I'm 9 weeks btw and everything fits fine. Let's us know what your Ob thinks. Gl!
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm yeh you definitely wouldn't be showing at 7 weeks. I am 10 weeks and not showing at all, although everyone is different.
    Because I am overweight I probably won't show until 7 months at least. I have been told by my OB not to gain any weight at all (sigh).
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It is very common to be bloated in early pregnancy, but most women don't "show" until much later, especially with their first child.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was really bloated the first trimester of this pregnancy, and looked much further along than I was for awhile. It did go away though and a bump finally grew when it should!
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If this is your first, you will probably really start showing in the second tri. In the beginning there is a lot of bloating and your bowels actually move to make room so that could be what you are experiencing. The ER dr was most likely accurate and if off at all just by days not weeks. If you are "fluffy" then it can be deceiving as you already have a pooch.

Check out this really cool video that shows clearly what is happening in your body and can explain some changes.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/you/the-exhibit/your-beginning/make-room-for-baby/interactive/
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was 170 when I got prego... and gained weight but didn't start showing until the third trimester!
    Several of my family members said at a function when I was 27-28 weeks that I just looked like I had to much turkey dinner!
    Everyone is different but from my experience with myself and a few friends if you have extra weight you wouldn't be showing baby till late in the second trimester!

Congrats though! and good luck at your appointment!!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    There are sooooo many factors that go into this, so I could be way off, but my layperson's guess is that you are farther along than 7 weeks. When you see your OB, they will do a confirmatory ultrasound and will probably give you a best estimate based on that and when you remember your last period starting.

Best wishes!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Wow that's such a cool link!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you'll get a good ultrasound that'll tell you exactly where you are.

I'm 7 weeks, 4 days. (IVF so we know exactly) and I measured today at 7W5D (Crown Rump Length) and 7W6D (sac).... heard the heartbeat for the 2nd time as well, and it's right no track.

Personally, I can say last week I was way more bloated and felt bigger than I have been this week. Not sure if it's because I've started walking again or what. I am overweight, but my belly hasn't change much other than bloat (it comes and goes, so I am certain it's just bloat). I wouldn't be shocked if you were further along than you think you are, but everyone carries it differently.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Everyone looks different at every point of pregnancy. The only way to tell how far along you are is the ultrasound. ER doc could give you a decent guess, but you can do that yourself by counting back to last period/ovulation.

For example: My sister was due on Saturday (no baby yet) and I'm due in July, and I look waaaay further along than she is. My baby has been pushing out to give me this giant bump (even in 2nd trimester), while hers has been chilling out in her ribcage so it doesn't protrude as much. I've gained 7lbs at 28 weeks and have a HUGE baby bump, and she's gained 20-something at 40+ weeks and has this cute little bump.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yeah there are so many factors that go into it....I didn't start showing until the third trimester.....now at 36 weeks my bump is much bigger in comparison to my body frame. From weeks 30-36 it has really popped out. Even when you couldn't tell I was pregnant though, my baby was measuring large....so partly because I was really toned prepregnancy and have kept exercising, and partly because the baby seems to be positioned further back, it took forever. That's so weird that the er doctor thought he could tell just by looking! An ultrasound will give you a pretty exact date.