Trying again

FBomber76
FBomber76 Posts: 4 Member
Hello, long intro - looking for advice.

I recently signed back up on myfitnesspal. I had my son 19 months ago. He was a very big boy, 10lbs, 3oz, 23 inches long. I was careful through my pregnancy, didn't go overboard on eating and worked out all the way up to week he was born and finally had to stop because the water weight piled on so much at that point I could barely move and was in a lot of pain. I was very diligent about going to the gym though, to the point the trainers at my gym were applauding me for showing up and working out with that massive belly. I gained probably around 45 - 50 lbs despite my best efforts to watch my weight.

After he was born, I breastfed for six months. I didn't eat more than normal, didn't really notice an increase in my appetite at all. All the stories about how breastfeeding melts away those pounds? Yea, a load of bull. At least for me. I did drop 35 lbs right away in the first few months. That fell off. It took me a while to lose another 10. When I was about 10 lbs from my goal weight I signed up for myfitnesspal for motivation.

I ate under the calorie amount, worked out, etc. For two months I would lose a pound, gain a pound, lose a pound, gain a pound. While I was definitely toning up, I wasn't seeing the weight loss, and its not like I'm going extreme here, I'm 5'7 and naturally a size 10, I'm not trying to be a 2 or anything. I just want to get back to my 10's. After much frustration I gave up using myfitnesspal because I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere and was obsessing over the number on the scale.

When I was originally doing this, I was going under the assumption that we were only having 1 child and I could work hard at getting my body back. After this, my husband and I decided we want another child. I haven't gained any weight since dropping myfitnesspal, I'm still holding steady with this extra 7-10 lbs I want to lose.

So, here I am, still around 10 lbs away from where I want to be, and planning on having another child. I HATE how my body looks, I'm not comfortable in my own skin, but the idea of working so hard to lose this weight only to gain it right back and then some is disheartening and so unmotivating. At the same time, I also don't want to go into a pregnancy already overweight, it will make it that much harder to lose the 2nd time around, plus for health reasons I should be at an optimal weight prior to getting pregnant.

I have people telling me that I'm being ridiculous for even trying. "Maintain now, and worry about it after baby 2," and its hard to argue with that. I thought I did everything right with my first pregnancy eating right, not going crazy and stuffing my face, and keeping up with the workouts and I still gained a lot of weight. I didn't plan on the 10lb baby I realize, but still. In the meatime I hate how I look and still have a closet full of pants I can't wear which is beyond frustrating.

I am trying to make this more about health and a lifestyle change, and not just about weight loss, but its hard knowing that in the near future (next 4-6 months) I will likely be pregnant all over again. Yet summer is coming and I'd like to at least have a a month or two where I feel like myself again.

We all know how hard it is to loose that last 5-10 when you are so close to your goal, its like your body fights you tooth and nail for that fat... especially if you're a woman and post-baby. It's so frustrating!

Advice? Anyone else in this boat?

Replies

• astronima
    astronima Posts: 35
    I'm in the same boat! My little man is 16 months old today and I am about 10 lbs away from my pre prego weight. I was not able to breastfeed. I gained about 45 pounds in my pregnancy and was very similar to you on working out eating healthy not over eating, etc. I think some body types just have to gain more weight. My best friend just had her baby and only gained 15 pounds the entire pregnancy! So I relaxed that everyone is different. After my little guy was born the first 20 came off quickly. The rest not so much....I'm still waiting and trying.

I started back on MFP when he was 9 months got frustrated, quit, and am now back. So I completely understand!!!! :flowerforyou:

I have realized that for me I can't go by the calorie recommendation they tell me. I try to stay at the 1200 calories a day, but some days it doesn't work. My body needs more fuel and energy to keep up with my crazy little toddler. What has made the biggest difference for me with using MFP is that I can track what I eat. I am making better choices by thinking to myself (I really don't want to log this in MFP for everyone to see :wink: ).

My only advice is don't give up and try some new tricks and exercises for your body. I found after I had my little guy I could not go back to eating what I was and doing the exercises I was to lose the weight. I have had to change the exercises I do in order to see results that I consider happy with for my body. I am like you I have a ton of clothes that don't fit. I've had to concede that some of them just are never going to fit like they did before I had a baby. Those clothes, if they just don't look right even if I love them, I've had to sell or donate. It was more depressing to have them in my closet because my body shape was never going to be what it used to be.

I think you are wise to want to get back to a healthy start weight before you start off trying for baby #2. I think that will only prove to your advantage in the long run. Feel free to add me as a friend and I will gladly help, support, and encourage you along the way.
  • FBomber76
    FBomber76 Posts: 4 Member
    Well, after all of this, the 2nd time around its gone MUCH easier. I have already lost more than 5 pounds since I've been back on MFP. It's falling off. I'm back at my pre-preg weight and only 4+ pounds away from my goal. Am going to see how far I can take it before I plateua and have found the right weight for me and then I will maintain with MFP going forward. Also think it can be adjusted for when i get preggo again so I can really monitor how much I gain.

So what was the difference this time? I was scratching my head over it then it hit me. Last time I tried this, I was on Mirena. I had it taken out a few months ago. Never again will I take birth control... all that hard work before and it didn't matter because of that stupid thing. Now its falling off like nothing. I've never seen the scale drop so fast. I couldn't be happier.
  • astronima
    astronima Posts: 35
    That is AWESOME!!:flowerforyou: :happy: I am on Mirena too but this has been the best BC for me. I agree though when I stopped the pill to get prego the first time I lost 5lbs immediately. If I wasn't afraid of getting pregnant I would quit the BC all together but we really don't want a surprise pregnancy.

I'm so glad that it is working and you are seeing wonderful results!! You will be at your goal in no time!
  • cghat
    cghat Posts: 1
    I am in a very similar boat, with the exception of trying for a second child. My son is 20 months and i am still carying that last 5 - 10 lbs.

I'm taking another shot at getting in shape because i just don't feel confident and am not comfortable in my clothes.

Congrats on being able to lose the weight !!