Just had Gastric Bypass on Tuesday

Options
So I just had my gastric bypass procedure on Tuesday April 16th. I am curious about how myfitness pal can be adjusted to be more accurate to reflect our diets since we eat less then a "normal' person. I just started relogging my food on the site as I have been keeping track on paper for the past week. I am also wondering if anyone else felt bloated after surgery? I did go to two groups pre- surgery, but the groups didn't really discuss how one feels right after surgery.

Replies

• Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the surgery! The site really doesn't adjust much for us bypasser's, other than you can go to My home, then Goals, then change goals and do a custom adjustment for say the lower amount of calories or the protein levels. No matter what, it will always say you are eating too few calories when you complete your diary...
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Agree totally with Susan. And the bloating, depending on if yours was lap or open, is prob just gas that they use to expand your abdomen for surgery. It will go away.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    congratz on a life changing decision it is the beginning of your life! :drinker:

mfp is a great tool for helping track your protein/calories ect and you really do have to be hot on your protein intake from here on out! :noway:
    it gets easy when you are a little further out so don't worry x
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bloated, sick & felt generally revolting but it was all worth it in the end!!
    Don't hurry the phases that you need to go through, be patient with yourself.
    My only regret is that I did not start exercising soon enough but then part of the reason I had it done was that my MS was so bad I could not do much - Loads better now!!

I increased my protein levels to what my surgeon advised but did not worry about overall calorie intake. Just need the protein!
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not only was I bloated I had gained 7 lbs after surgery! The dr said it was normal bc your body is trying to heal itself.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the gain post surgery is disappointing, but do you best not to worry and try to stay away from the scale. I was shocked at my 2 weeks appointment to find I had dropped 20 pounds. Remember it is not the same for everyone, but the weight does come off. Really, stick to your eating plans, and try not to rush it. Your body has a great deal of healing to do, and it will be worth it in the end. Take this time to really learn how to eat, and to figure out your new eating signals. Good luck!
  • mararabb
    mararabb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery and welcome to the club. :)

Between the gas they pump you up with and the fluids from the IVs, I'm not surprised you feel bloated. Every time they hook me up to an IV I come home looking and feeling like a stuffed sausage. Keep your fluid intake up and it will clear out in a couple of days.

I love MFP because it makes logging food easier, even though I can't specifically say why I'm better at doing this way than in a notebook. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the daily suggestions since it doesn't accurately reflect what we're supposed to eat. I set the parameters I want to follow, but they regularly manage to reset themselves to the pre-programmed numbers. I'm mainly concerned with the calories and protein so I watch what I've put in, knowing what the target numbers are supposed to be.

The first few weeks can be tough, but are well worth it. It's easy to get frustrated and bored with the bland foods, but keep the bigger picture in mind. And when you need to vent, we've all been there. :) Stay strong and stay focused!