Introductions

Options
klutzydreamer
klutzydreamer Posts: 11 Member
Introduce yourselves here!

Hey, I'm Megan and I have been a social worker for a year now. I graduated with my BSW and immediately started working at the nursing home I had done my last internship with. I love my job! I plan to attain my MSW over the next couple of years while I still work. My goal is to maintain my health while I'm doing all of this and not gaining a bunch of weight like I did my last year of school. :/
Can't wait to meet more people!

Replies

• fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    hi everyone!

my name is ashley! you can call me ashley or fara, whichever you prefer. i'm 20 years young and i'm still in school, pursuing my BSW-- hope it's okay that i joined. i'm a junior and set to graduate in 2014, and then i plan on pursuing a MSW and then hopefully becoming a clinical social worker who works with children and families...i can't wait! i joined MFP to lose some weight as i'm technically obese: i'm 5'5" and weigh around 220 lbs.

in a profession such as social work, it's important to be a role model for others and i feel like me being unhealthy and insecure isn't helping anyone. i'd love to hear about everyone's experiences as a social worker to get a better feel of the field :)

feel free to add me!
  • candirose69
    candirose69 Posts: 149
    Options
    Hello!

I'm a SW here in Australia :) I got my BSW in 2011 so am in my second year of work.
    Currently I have a nice 9-5 job doing intake for family services, mostly engaging child protection clients to stop them having to be part of that icky system.

I am very lucky to be working a 15 minute walk from my home :)

I am 161cm tall and weigh 80kgs atm. My goal is to get down to 60-65kgs

Feel free to add me xxx
  • anjo37
    anjo37 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello. My name is Andrea and I am a social worker. I currently work, and have for the last two years with an amazing organization called SCAN, which is Stop Child Abuse and Neglect. Right now I work with a program called Healthy Families. My job is to go into the home and help new moms and dads learn better ways of raising their children and help break bad family patterns.

Last August I was 5'3" and 226lbs. I opted for weight loss surgery due to never achieving success in weight loss. Now, I'm still 5'3" and weight 149. It has been an amazing journey and I've worked through a lot of issues during this time, but more importantly, I've learned how important it is to really take care of yourself. And, how quickly the bad habits add up when we don't. Now I am able to confidently take this information into families and say, yes, taking care of yourself matters! It matters in how you feel and how you treat others. The quickest way to change your life is to change how you treat yourself!

So, now, I'm on MFP trying to get accountability because I don't want to fall back into old habits, which seem to be just below the surface sometimes. I want to continue to be a positive role model for my work and my family, which I am married with three children (21girl, 15boy, 6girl) , I'm 37 btw. I am on this road for good, but some days, I need some encouragement to keep going.
  • traceywaananenstieb
    traceywaananenstieb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! My name is Tracey. I am a social worker within the family court system where I have been for approximately 6 1/2 years. Prior to this position I worked with abuse and neglect cases in a residential setting. I feel like the ancient one in the group. I'm 40, have 2 girls (13 and 10) and received my MSW 15 years ago. I love doing this work, but as we all know it can be pretty emotionally draining. I am thrilled to find this group!!

Oh...5'5" and 203....scale is not budging this past month...but I am working out like crazy and eating well...feeling great so trying to ignore the scale!!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Angie and I have been a social worker for 5 years. If accepted to the college I will start the master's program in August. I work at a children's home. I have been married for 17 years. I have 4 children (all girls) ages 16-7.

I started MFP weighing in at 287. I ate 1200 calories for 2 years and lost 80 pounds. I am currently learning to eat more since my body has stopped losing weight. I now eat 2100 calories a day. I went from a size 22-24 to 12-14 (more 14s). I would sell my right leg to get under 200 pounds. That's another story!!

Saw the new group and wanted to join!!
    Have a wonderful day!!

Angie
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like I might be one of the social work veterans in the group, at least so far! :happy: I'm 40 years old, and got my MSW in 1998. For the last 11 years, I've worked in the public school system in Lowell, Massachusetts. I currently work at the high school level, and I like it a lot. It's challenging - a lot of on-the-spot interventions with students dealing with stressful life situations (pregnancy, gangs, getting kicked out of the house, mental health issues, and so on), as well as ongoing weekly counseling appointments. It keeps me on my toes as a social worker!

My weight has been slowly creeeeeeping up over the last decade, and I am really struggling to get a handle on it. i FEEL unhealthy, and one of my social work coworkers saw a picture of me from a little more than 10 years ago and remarked (very kindly) that my face had really changed and that I was very pretty in the picture. She managed to say it in a way that was not hurtful, and it related to what we had been talking about a moment before, which was our weight and our health.

I am 5'11", and I currently weigh about 204 pounds. I have a very small frame, though, and have felt my best around 150-160 pounds. It feels so far away!

I'd like to be more consistent with logging, and would also like to find the energy to exercise on a regular basis. After a day of listening to kids' sad stories, it can be difficult to muster up the energy to hit the gym, you know?

Anyway, I am happy to find a group of social workers to talk to.
  • MyNameisJill
    MyNameisJill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey.. social worker in Canada - East Coast. Been graduated from BSW & MSW since 2006 and working in CP ever since!
  • bean332005
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Angela, I'm currently working on my MSW:S Starting in Aug I will be taking 16 units, interning for the VA and working on a Thesis. I have always struggled to maintain my weight when school starts to take over. I am determined not to let that happen this coming year. Currently I weigh 151lbs and am a whopping 5'2", my goal is to tone, and drop BMI more than anything. I have started working out at least three times a week and am trying to eat around 1200 cals a day. I agree that as Social workers we can sometimes forget to self care and am hoping that by joining this site I'll be more accountable to my own self care. :-) let the journey begin.
  • PamelaD88
    PamelaD88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm Pamela, I'm an LSW working in Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. I graduated with my MSW from Rutgers in 2012.

I'm 5'4 and about 191.8 lbs right now. Down from 200, but up from 186. So I'm back to MFP, looking for REAL support, not the guilt trip I got the last time (from people I know in real life) so feel free to add me :-)
  • klutzydreamer
    klutzydreamer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see so many new people in one day! Welcome everyone! :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Social workers rock \m/
    Hey all!!! My name is Brooke and I am a case worker at a group home for teens, mostly wards of the state. My kids are in the transitional living program. I dont make crap and have a butt load of student loans to pay back but my job is flexible and I really enjoy helping these kids!! I work with an awesome group of people who make such a stressful job fun!!
  • spoarch21
    spoarch21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My name is Sandra and I have been a social worker for the past 13 years. I have worked in the A/D field with homeless women coming out of recovery, I have worked in a foster home with Level 2 teenage girls, and for the past 7 years I have worked with the Families First program with the state of Tennessee. My number one priority is serving God and taking care of my family. I have gained lots of weight over the past several years making me less effective in both of these areas. Looking for strength and encouragement from like minded individuals. I've been married for almost 19 years and I have 3 handsome boys ages 18, 16, and 6. Been back on track for 2 weeks and I've lost 6pds so far.
  • songbirdwoman
    songbirdwoman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi ((((((((((everyone:flowerforyou: )))))))))))

As I had said in another post is that I am soooooooo....... happy :smile: to be here. I look forward to meeting you and being here for you as we walk together on this path towards a healthier mental, emotional, physical and spiritual lifestyle. We all certainly deserve it.

I think I am the senior here turning 63 next week.......yikes!!!!!!!! I can't believe it myself:noway: .......I am married with three children, nine grandchildren and one great grandbaby. I have fibromyalgia now for the past 27 years and have not been part of the workforce for the last ten. My background work for approximately 28 years has been front line working with developmentally challenged children and adults, residential treatment for troubled teens, second stage housing for abused women and children and residential treatment for both men and women with drug and alcohol addiction. I was an administrator for 3 years for HUGS (Hope United Gives Strength) and part of the on line community for 6 years. It was a community which supported mostly women who have psychiatric disorders and are survivors of many different kinds of abuses.

Would it be okay to write a Power Thought each day? As we know positive affirmations are quite powerful for the body, mind and spirit which can only help us embrace positive thoughts in our journey towards a healthier mental, emotional, physical and spiritual lifestyle. For me, I take one positive affirmation a day and say it to myself or out loud over and over again throughout the day. This helps me tremendously spiritually, brings joy to my heart and puts a smile on my face.

Always blessed

and hugssssssssssssssss Linda

Hugsssssssss Lindaheart
  • alestfon
    alestfon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello :) My name is Amanda. I am currently working on getting my bsw. I am in my senior year. I start my internship at a hospice agency in the fall. I'm currently 290lbs and looking to weight 200lb by graduation next year.
  • LlamaBeaner
    LlamaBeaner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!

My name is Jamie and I just joined MFP a week ago. I'm currently in an MSW program in Texas and will be graduating in May. I'm excited to see other SW's on here. Is anyone in New Zealand? I might be doing my final field there next spring and would love to chat!

Nice to meet you all, please add me!
  • wca2005
    wca2005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! My name is Tiffany and I graduated from USC with my MSW in 2012. I am currently a children's social worker with LA County DCFS (part-time) and a high school social worker (full-time). I absolutely love the work that I do and can't wait to become licensed! I got married almost 1 year ago (12/1/12) and have a son who will be 6 in February.
    I'm joining this group from the additional support from others who, I feel, will be able to possibly identify with some of the challenges I struggle with. I've allowed myself to get lazy and have made excuses, but I feel that I am now ready to finally become serious about my weight, as this is the heaviest I have ever been.
    I am currently 5'6" and 227 lbs (36.6 BMI). My goal is to at least get to below 200 lbs and, if possible, down to at least 185 which was the weight I was before I had my son.
    I'm really looking forward to being on this journey with all of you, and I wish you all the best of luck in our own journies!
  • DizeeDaisy
    Options
    Hello all! I have worked in the community mental health field for over ten years but have only officially been a social worker for a couple of years. I am currently working as a clinical social worker at a state psychiatric facility.

I am pretty new to this website but hoping it can get me on track with my weight. I’m a stress eater, so I am trying to use this site to help me gain a better awareness of what I am putting in my mouth. It doesn’t work for me to get too strict, I just end up rebelling. My current approach is to not worry so much about what I am eating and make sure to be honest with myself about logging food. I am letting myself having that Hershey’s Kiss in the psychologist’s candy dish, as long as I log it. Being more accountable will hopefully help me make better choices overall and help me achieve a lasting weight loss. That’s my theory anyway.