Just joined group today

Options
I stumbled on this group while reading other discussion board on MFP. I am really excited to have found it. I have been seriously considering a lifting program, but feel very ignorant as to where to start, how to start etc.

I belong to a gym where I work. I am fairly certain they don't have any free standing barbells, but I will be verifying that today at lunchtime.

I have been taking a body sculpting class at the gym, but feel I have "outgrown" it. I want definition and I want strength. I think this may be the place for me to start.

One question, has anyone else here come up against people saying they shouldn't lift, or been less than supportive? This is where I am right now. My husband doesn't want me to get "bulky". I tried to explain to him that this will increase my strength and definition, but will not make me bulky. One of my best friends is telling me I should wait to start and that I am having a mid life crisis.

If I am already doing some sort of weight training (if you can even consider it this), why can't I just replace what I was doing with this?

Second question, around how long should I plan for the work outs?

Thanks everyone !! Sorry for the long post.

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I bet you will love this program.

I have never given anyone like that the time of day. I probably put off a vibe that says, "Don't even think about questioning me on this", because that is 100% how I feel about working out.

Sometimes my boyfriend and I are in conflict about something, and what I do is I turn off the TV/radio/computers, I look him dead in the eye, and I say "I am going to give this a try. It's really important to me. I would prefer to have your support. If you truly can't support me in this, then I need for you to be quiet and leave it alone."

And like I said, when I say that, I mean it. No one tells me what to do/not do, especially when they don't have the facts. :flowerforyou:
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

I am lucky because no one has had the courage to tell me I should not lift. I think that is because I know more about fitness than most people around me. Hubby and I disagree a little about what type of lifting is most effective, but he has no problems with me lifting in general. Just tell your husband to give you 6 months and see what kind of results you get. Based on my experience, I'm guessing he will like the results and change his tune. :happy:

As far as time, early on the workouts take 30-40 mins. But as you progress in weights and need longer rest periods, they get longer and can take an hour or more. If you have time and don't mind this, then great. I found that it got to be too long for my schedule, so at week 11 I changed to doing 3 x 5 of each exercise of the workout instead of 5 x5, and that keeps my workouts under an hour. And I'm mentally more into it too. Plus I'm still seeing results from that.

Good luck!
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just started last Thursday! I found that my workouts right now only take 30 minutes or so. I try to do some treadmill work after that though so total time in the gym is around an hour. The only thing people have questioned when I told them what I was doing is the deadlifts because they can be dangerous if not done properly. Good luck!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Some ammunition:

1. Unless you start taking steroids, you can't get 'bulky'. You are a girl. Very little testosterone. Basic biology.
    2. Lifting heavy weights increases bone density, which offsets the risk of osteoporosis, and will keep you mobile longer. That equals better quality of life as you age.
    3. Lifting heavy weights increases your metabolic robustness, making you less susceptible to developing Type 2 Diabetes. That is no joke.
    4. Lifting heavy weights equals stamina in the bedroom. Just sayin'.
    5. It's your body. Take care of it the way you want to.

And welcome!
  • dtdam
    dtdam Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks Everyone !!

I am going to read through all the docments provided in the summary and watch the videos. I hope to start in the next week or two. I am really excited by this and so thankful to have found a support group that I can go to with questions.

Thanks again
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    For dealing with your husband, I'd search for some of the threads of heavy lifting results. Lots of women who aren't "bulky". Many of the women are flexing so you can see their muscles, but when you see them in clothes, they just look good.

Welcome to the group, and feel free to ask any questions!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 and I love this program.
    I hope you have luck in convincing the people around you that this is a great idea. I'm sure once they see your results they will quickly change their minds.

Good luck.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am at the end of week 2 and already love this program! I started with NR, but switch halfway through Stage 2.

I have had a few people look at me weird when I told them what I do for excercise. The seem to think as a women, I should be using cario machines to get the body I want.

Sorry to dissappoint. I want strong everything!
    Don't worry about anyone else. This is all for you!

Just wait until you start seeing results. No amount of cardio will give you what's to come.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Find a good video of Barbell Barbie and show him. She´s a world champion powerlifter, she lift for a living and she´s not bulky. Lifting three times a week 30-60 minutes will make you even less.

Midlife crises? I was LOL. People in their 50-60´ies start lifting and improve their health. Just go for it!! :smile:
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ^^ what she said!!!!

Welcome !!!