Coffee

Options
Mamamareli
Mamamareli Posts: 6 Member
Hi all!

I am scheduled for sleeve surgery 5/8. Right now, my biggest concern about the diet post op is not being able to have my daily coffee! I love my coffee, and I know the caffeine helps me get going in the morning. I have about 2 cups of strong black coffee every day. Did anyone keep drinking their coffee after surgery? I have been told no caffeine because it is dehydrating. But I NEED it! (yes, I have the addict gene). Let me know your thoughts please

Replies

• operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I worried about the caffeine issue pre-op because I am an ice tea fiend. Believe me that most of your concerns about giving things up will not be an issue after surgery. I don't know why buy it just was easy to follow the DR recommendations and not miss the things you love. Besides you are going to feel so much better after shedding the pounds you will not need the boost from caffeine.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    In order to met "team approval" to even get a surgery date or have my insurance paperwork through my WLS group I had to be decaffinated, no carbonated beverages and no smoking (I don't smoke). After surgery they expect the same thing. I have drank some reg coffee since sleeve surgery and done ok with it but don't make a habit of it. Usually it's when I am at my boyfriend's house is when I drink it there as I have decaf at my house.
    You really should work on decaffinating yourself pre op so it will make it easier post op.
    Good luck!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is not actually dehydrating. That is old information. They used to believe it was based on some poorly designed studies. But it turns out that it's more like caffeine is an on switch for your bladder. You consume caffeine, your bladder says "empty me" and you pee. But the volume of pee over 24 hours isn't any greater than without caffeine. Also, this "on switch" effect is pretty mild and goes away with regular consumption.

That said, the first month or so, you are recovering from surgery and you need to do what your program says because most of it is medical advice and you don't want to get in trouble medically by picking and choosing from what they tell you.

But after you've recovered and your staple line is healed and you're trying to figure out how to live the rest of your life, then what your program is telling you are guidelines and suggestions and they might not work for you or they might work great. And, as an adult, you get to decide if you are going to follow them or not.
  • pharris888
    Options
    I transitioned away from caffeine pre-surgery and didn't have any until 2 Months after surgery. I have my cup or 2 each day now One year out. Caffeine is a stimulant and might slow healing initially, bu I have had no problems returning to caffeinated (Non carbonated) beverages. one theory is regular coffee ill also stimulate your appetite.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I went caffeine free the first 4 months post op. It wasn't hard except the feeling of "fogginess" was still lurking every morning at work. I allowed myself 1 K cup in the mornings then hit a stall at the same time. I was convinced it was the COFFEE!!
    Fast forward 3 weeks, my stall broke finally and now I have 2 K cups every morning, one of which has chocolate protein in it so I'm killing two birds :)
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I suffer from migraines, so I knew when I had to stop drinking the 'real' stuff and go to decaf prior to surgery, it was going to be tricky. I had our regular coffee and a bag of decaf...and we got me a separate small, 4 cup coffee maker. I had to be 'clean' two weeks prior to the big day, so we started the process about six weeks ahead of time. I started with 3/4 real and 1/4 decaf. I did that, with no problem, for a week, then went to 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then to 3/4 quarter decaf and 1/4 regular. After that week I was on straight decaf, and did not suffer from withdrawl, no migraines!!! It also gave me the time to adjust to not having my morning cups of coffee!!!

I tried decaf the second week after surgery, none of the good stuff allowed until six weeks. I didn't like the taste of it, I have NO idea why, I'm a Star Bucks addict!! At six weeks I tried our regular brew and still it didn't taste the same. Finally, at three months post op I was back to normal!!!! Coffee doesn't bother me at all, I have two cups in the morning and a cup in the afternoon most days.

I don't get 'hungry' - no real hunger since surgery, I have what I call my 'new' hunger, I will feel 'empty' but I can ignore it, I just know I probably need to put something there when I have time. With coffee, any hunger/empty feeling I might have, goes away, but it would temp kill my appitite before surgery as well, it never MADE me hungry. Totally opposite!
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Through the bariatric program I am in our group was told to no longer have any kind of caffeinated beverages. I had been used to drinking regular coffee 2 or 3 times a day that I worried about this change too. When doing the pre-op diet I switched to decaf coffee and experienced headaches for about 4 days. After that there were no more headaches. After surgery you will feel different and may notice that you'll not miss your caffeinated coffee. I drink decaf coffee every morning mixed with a chocolate protein shake, now my morning "mochas". Hope this helps.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Umm I sneak in regular coffee every now and then. I have half-caff often. I will get a little decaf and some regular coffee and mix it and add it into my protein drink. So I figure if I'm going to have some caffeine, at least its for a good cause lol. It sucks to not have caffeine but its doable. At least, if its the taste that you crave, you can have decaf and coffee flavored syrups.
  • rdt210
    rdt210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to have 1-2 large mugs of half-caff coffee every morning prior to surgery. After surgery I didn't want it at all - you will be surprised at how many things you think you won't be able to live without pre-op, that you couldn't care less about post-op. I was 4 weeks out yesterday, and just started adding a little bit of coffee back in the morning - in hopes of "moving things along" if you know what I mean. I use one of the cups from my china (they're very small) and usually drink about half of it.
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drink regular iced tea and have since surgery. I talked about it with my Dr. and pretty much told him that it would be a deal breaker if I had to give up the caffeine. He backed off. Now tea isn't as caffeinated as coffee, but it is still there. I don't have any problems with it, and I do drink a lot of water as well.
  • sparker78
    Options
    I have a skinny latte every day!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My surgeon took me off caffine prior to surgery because caffine irrates the stomach lining. Knowing this was happening I weaned myself onto decaff coffee to avoid the withdrawl symptoms. About 6 weeks after surgery he told me I could resume caffinated coffee "if I really had to". I did! :laugh: The only thing is, I can no longer drink it black as I did pre-sleeve. Black coffee is one of the very few things I've found my tummy just doesn't like anymore.
  • JaynaErickson
    JaynaErickson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Found on Pinterest, a cup of slightly cooled coffee and one scoop of vanilla protein powder. Tastes like a late I tried it today n it was ok.
  • ggibson1038
    Options
    I too was a huge coffee drinker. I would never have gone through with the surgery without it. But I have been off it for awhile, I was allowed to go back to drinking a cup per day about two weeks ago but find that I don't like it any longer. I have gotten used to Tea and do not miss it at all. To give you an example of how much I used to drink 1 Dunkin Donuts Extra Large, one to two 16 oz. after that.

You are going to find that after surgery you are going to ask yourself if you really want to go back..
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said go for it... didn't have any concerns about coffee right from the get-go. I personally cut back, tho, and now have maybe one cup of half-decaf a day.
  • Esh568
    Esh568 Posts: 3
    Options
    I too liked my coffee, but not as much as you seam to. Post surgery 6 weeks now. Tried a sip of decaf two weeks post op and it did not settle well at all. Have yet to try it again but don't believe it would be a problem. Good luck.
  • joslynjeanne
    joslynjeanne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Caffeine was never brought up by my surgeon either pre=op or post-op. Though the coffee was supposed to be black and sugar free. The first 2 weeks post-op I added chocolate protein mix to my double sized cup and drank it from the time I left the hospital. My Rd said I couldn't have protein shakes any longer at the 2.5 week point so I went back to my regular mix with sugar and coffee mate. It is the only cheat I allow myself and I haven't had any problems with it.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I had coffee the whole time. I couldn't live without it. I put a good instant coffee in my moring protien shake right after surgery.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a "gold card" from Starbucks.....does that tell you anything??!!!! ;)
    I tapered off regular coffee prior to surgery, and sadly, coffee didn't taste the same to me post - op. I had to do decaf for six weeks. I wasn't happy with coffee OR iced tea. Month #3 post op, my taste buds returned to normal and coffee was once again my "drug of choice". :) I KNOW I drink more than I SHOULD.....but I'm fine, it works for me. I also drink iced tea and water w/lemon and a stevia. I usually have 3 cups in the AM and some times I'll make a small pot mid-afternoon. My doctor did NOT say no caffeine except for 2 weeks prior to surgery and six weeks after.