Disclosure - Dating multiple people

Options
MelodyinGa
MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
Hi ya'll.......

So as a bunch of us are I am doing the online dating thing. I have read read read about how men or women should date multiple people at once. I am attempting to do this. Okay...so I'm not necessarily "dating" them per say, but am conversating with about 3 guys. I have only been out with 1 of these 3 with other dates planned with him. I also have a coffee meeting with another man who is 52. I am 39. I received a text from him last evening stating "so just how many fish do you have on your hook?" I didn't know how to respond. Three hours later, I texted him back and asked, "Is that really important at this point?" Come on...I haven't even met him yet and now I'm not so sure I want to. Thoughts??

Replies

• Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I think if you are already unsure about meeting him, and his question made your squirm.......he probably is not going to get a chance......so maybe cancel.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    It's an honest question, he wants to know his odds. With that said, by asking that right away, to me sounds like an insecure man. If you are already having second thoughts about meeting him, then I would go with your gut and probably cancel.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I've had guys ask...some do it in a flirtatious way and some are really insecure. If the question/comment is something like "So, how many emails have you received", I'll answer with an obligatory "I've received a few". If he comes out and asks if I have any other dates planned, I'll be honest with him, but leave out the details (I have one later this week, etc).

I'm usually able to get a good feel for a guy by the 3rd date, so I won't date multiple men after that. However, until we have a talk about exclusivity, I assume that he is still dating multiple women.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's an honest question, he wants to know his odds. With that said, by asking that right away, to me sounds like an insecure man. If you are already having second thoughts about meeting him, then I would go with your gut and probably cancel.

This. Nobody likes being put on spot like that by someone that you don't know. This kind of thing is a huge t red flag to me. If you ask me a question that will obviously make me uncomfortable in the early getting to know you stage- no thanks.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Was it just an out of the blue question? Or was he jokingly saying it? It would turn me off if he wasn't joking, its none of his business, especially since yall haven't even met!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think its a natural question to ask, even though I'd control myself and not ask it!!

Why dont you say "it's not the kind of thing I think we should discuss at this early stage"

or make a joke out of it and say "OOoooo hundreds!"

I dont think you can judge his security or lack of at this point. Just get to know him a bit and take it from there. I mean, people shoudnt have to always be on their guard and watching that every question they ask or comment they make may be the wrong one!! We all put our foot in it sometimes!

:flowerforyou:
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I think its a natural question to ask, even though I'd control myself and not ask it!!

Why dont you say "it's not the kind of thing I think we should discuss at this early stage"

I dont think you can judge his security or lack of at this point. Just get to know him a bit and take it from there. I mean, people shoudnt have to always be on their guard and watching that every question they ask or comment they make may be the wrong one!! We all put our foot in it sometimes!

agree!

relax, have fun. if you're not relaxed about multi-dating, it can be disastrous.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I dunno. Sounds like a very nosy, somewhat jealous/insecure thing to say.
    Something like that is none of his business at this point - nowhere NEAR his business!
    I would have answered with "HUNDREDS" or something ridiculous as well.... because the question in itself is... well, ridiculous.
  • MelodyinGa
    Options
    I just got a text from him:

"...after carefully thinking about your last text it does matter now. I am not a car OR in a dog show if you are looking at several gents or window shopping then I will beg out! I wish you luck in finding your life partner."

Really? Isn't that what dating is all about? I would never compare a man to a car or dog show. Nonetheless, you have to date around to find that compatibility. Perhaps this is best, for at his age (52..though I swear he looks older) and me at 39, he is probably looking for a young woman to care for him in his old age. I am just beginning to live finally and I don't want to have to physically care for someone other than pleasing them sexually so to speak.
  • MelodyinGa
    Options
    I dunno. Sounds like a very nosy, somewhat jealous/insecure thing to say.
    Something like that is none of his business at this point - nowhere NEAR his business!
    I would have answered with "HUNDREDS" or something ridiculous as well.... because the question in itself is... well, ridiculous.

Will def use next time!
  • MelodyinGa
    Options
    Was it just an out of the blue question? Or was he jokingly saying it? It would turn me off if he wasn't joking, its none of his business, especially since yall haven't even met!

Out of the blue girl...and definitely a turn off at this point!
  • UrbanLotus
    Options

"...after carefully thinking about your last text it does matter now. I am not a car OR in a dog show if you are looking at several gents or window shopping then I will beg out! I wish you luck in finding your life partner."

Really? Isn't that what dating is all about? I would never compare a man to a car or dog show. Nonetheless, you have to date around to find that compatibility. Perhaps this is best, for at his age (52..though I swear he looks older) and me at 39, he is probably looking for a young woman to care for him in his old age. I am just beginning to live finally and I don't want to have to physically care for someone other than pleasing them sexually so to speak.

What in the world...?? I can understand saying something like that after you have dated for a bit, but you haven't even MET! You should tell him you reserve judgments like that for when you have actually MET the person!
  • MelodyinGa
    Options

What in the world...?? I can understand saying something like that after you have dated for a bit, but you haven't even MET! You should tell him you reserve judgments like that for when you have actually MET the person!

Thank you! I had no idea what to say. I just texted him back with that statement....
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I would have been ok with the question, but his response is just ridiculous! Sounds like he's be the jealous type (maybe partly due to his age?), which is not worth it. Next!
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Wow, that is an interesting response. I guess I am guilty of dating many people in order to find one that is really suitable and compatible with me. I have dated more women than I have test driven cars, that is for sure. Of course I look at a car as a semi-short term investment, and look at settling down with the right woman as a life-time investment.

I have been talking to several women at once online, and will continue to do so until one of them pulls ahead of the pack and I want to make it more serious.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

The response possibilities are endless.

"lol k"
    "woof"
    "I'll just mark out option 9 on my list then. Wait, what was your name again?"
    "Whoops, I guess I didn't get the memo that people have to make life commitments to each other before they meet."
    "Who is this?"
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    LMAO!! Better now than later. I've had men say similar. I respond with "I appreciate your honesty and wish you the best of luck as well". Then wouldn't you know those *kitten* come back with "Well...maybe we should give it a try". I nip it in the bud a little more rudely after that.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

I would have been ok with the question, but his response is just ridiculous! Sounds like he's be the jealous type (maybe partly due to his age?), which is not worth it. Next!

Well, that could be the case. Or he could just be fed up with spending time and money on dates when the girls tend to go off with one of their other options??
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options

agree!

relax, have fun. if you're not relaxed about multi-dating, it can be disastrous.

Ok, he needs to relax!!!
  • UrbanLotus
    Options

Well, that could be the case. Or he could just be fed up with spending time and money on dates when the girls tend to go off with one of their other options??

The first date (aka MEETING) can/should just be coffee or a drink. Shell out $5-10...if a 53 year old dude is that stingy, she needs to move on anyway.